Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 On The Floor: The Gig Thread

Or 2024 (Hour) Party People
    Or The Big Gig Thread (Taylor's Version)

But hopefully not,

'24: Excessive Torture

Comment

I'm starting early in the new year with the Rockaway Beach festival at Butlins in Bognor Regis, which this time kicks off on January 5th. The headliners are a little underwhelming IMO (The Selecter, Sleaford Mods, The Cribs) but there is plenty of interest on the undercard. £120 for three nights without sharing a bedroom is very cheap but probably reflects the scheduling on the least popular party weekend of the year.

From there, already booked for the first quarter of the year are Billy Childish, Roleplay, Gruff Rhys, CMAT and The Bug Club with a second helping of CMAT and New Order on the further horizon in spring/summer. Every year I tell myself not to book too much too far in advance as it can become stressful rather than fun to look forward to if the calendar is too crowded and every year the good intentions gradually fall away.

Comment

Our one booking for 2024 is Billy Joel at the Principality Stadium in August. It's his only UK gig this year.

I know he divides opinion on here but seeing him play live is on Mrs Thistle's bucket list. And I like most of his songs enough to be looking forward to it.

Comment

Not primarily a gig, but on Wed 17th Jan I'll be rolling back the years at Rough Trade East for one of the launch events for These Things Happen, the weighty new volume that acts as a history of much-loved/-hated Bristol indie label Sarah Records. As well as a Q&A the event also features performances by Sarah alumni Heavenly, Blueboy and The Harvest Ministers.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Our one booking for 2024 is Billy Joel at the Principality Stadium in August. It's his only UK gig this year.

I know he divides opinion on here but seeing him play live is on Mrs Thistle's bucket list. And I like most of his songs enough to be looking forward to it.
            Enjoy! The only opinions that matter are yours and Mrs T's.

My New Order booking is in Cardiff later that month but they are playing a much smaller capacity outdoor space somewhere on the Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              Every year I tell myself not to book too much too far in advance as it can become stressful rather than fun to look forward to if the calendar is too crowded and every year the good intentions gradually fall away.
              I've taken that approach for next year, with almost as many dates in italics on my permanently rolling Word document (italics = wait and buy tickets closer to the time if it's still feasible) as there are in bold (= tickets bought). We've got another decent run of festivals in the summer so I feel less in need of racing around for individual dates during those months.

Daughter has access to Tickets for Carers or whatever its called, so we might end up with some last minute tickets for a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                Not primarily a gig, but on Wed 17th Jan I'll be rolling back the years at Rough Trade East for one of the launch events for These Things Happen, the weighty new volume that acts as a history of much-loved/-hated Bristol indie label Sarah Records. As well as a Q&A the event also features performances by Sarah alumni Heavenly, Blueboy and The Harvest Ministers.
                Were the Field Mice on Sarah? I’ve heard some of their stuff, and liked what I heard.

All I have so far is Smiths tribute The Smyths, in February. Haven’t confirmed From The Jam (March) which I think I should.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Were the Field Mice on Sarah? I’ve heard some of their stuff, and liked what I heard.
                  Yes, The Field Mice were probably the most popular band on the label. Subsequently they evolved into Northern Picture Library and then Trembling Blue Stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Yes, The Field Mice were probably the most popular band on the label. Subsequently they evolved into Northern Picture Library and then Trembling Blue Stars.
                    Thank you!

Comment

I currently have tickets for 8 (eight) shows in 2024, with more to come. I thought I'd finished with all this years ago.

Comment

My New Order booking is in Cardiff later that month but they are playing a much smaller capacity outdoor space somewhere on the Bay.
                        Hmmmm, I wonder where that is.

I live close to the Bay but hadn't heard about plans for gigs. I imagine I'll be hearing it from my house anyway.

Comment

Thank you!
                          Oh, and Bobby Wratten's current project is called Lightning In The Twilight Hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Hmmmm, I wonder where that is.
                            It's at Alexandra Head, which seems to be by the mouth of the docks.

Comment

It's at Alexandra Head, which seems to be by the mouth of the docks.
                              That's interesting, they're turning that into a gig space. That's a parcel of currently derelict land as you head out onto the barrage.

Comment

I can imagine Billy Joel puts on a good show and there's enough good songs in his back catalogue to make for an enjoyable evening. 'We Didn't Start the Fire' would be that point where I head to the bar.

The only thing I've got booked for next year so far is Bellowhead at the London Palladium in November.

Comment

Trupa Trupa at the Tin in Coventry last night.

Polish alternative/shoegaze band. We're pretty decent although I cannot remember much due to the early kick off that afternoon. Only 12.50 on the door which was good value.

Comment

Haven’t confirmed From The Jam (March) which I think I should.
                                    Can’t galvanise enough to do this. Maybe I’ll regret it. Similarly I got quite excited by an ad on Instagram about The Damned (the proper lineup) also in March. But I think it’s mostly nostalgia; I’ve never had a deep immersion in their back catalogue beyond the stuff most people know.

Comment

Contemplating going to watch Barenaked Ladies at the Beacon in Bristol. Last time I saw them at that venue it was called Colston Hall and I heard Joel Plaskett for rhe first time as he was supporting them.

Comment

I thought Billy Joel had retired

Comment

The missus bought us tickets for three gigs. None of which I'd have chosen but all of which I'll enjoy.

The first two are so heavily in the 90s Lesbian spectrum they'd make me wonder about her sexuality - Indigo Girls and Sarah McLachlan at the Rady Shell which is the fairly new shell next to the bay that had only just opened before we left last time.

The last one swings back the other way and I can already smell the stale leather and geriatric testosterone of the triple bill at Petco of Steve Miller, Journey and Def Leppard. I'm sure it will be fun, but can I watch it with a straight face?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            Steve Miller, Journey and Def Leppard. I'm sure it will be fun, but can I watch it with a straight face?
                                            Surely nobody would expect you to?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              Steve Miller, Journey and Def Leppard.
                                              We're getting Heart / Journey / Def Leppard. We're not going.

Comment

First gig planned this year is Depeche Mode (Nadine Shah supporting, yes) at the o2. I have tickets for The Homesick at Sea Power doing DYLRM? in full next month. I'm finally seeing Underworld in April at Alexandra Palace, got Hurray for the Riff Raff and Wide Awake Festival in Brixton in May. Got the Suede/Manics double header at Alexandra Palace Park and a week later The Boss at Wembley Stadium, but nothing else booked.
                                                This year (and I say this every January), i'm going to try and see more new bands at smaller venues. I now live in South London, so that means going to the Windmill semi-regularly and more pub gigs hopefully.

Comment

Seems like I leave it up to the kids to get me to gigs these days, so it’s Barenaked Ladies in Manchester with my daughter in April and then Elvis Costello with my son in September. My wife has booked tickets for Rick Ashley at the open air theatre in Scarborough, but I’m trying to wriggle out of that one, I’d prefer Simple Minds at the same venue so there might be some trade off to be made.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X