4= Lodi 2
    4= Someday Never Comes 2

7= Born On the Bayou 1
    7= Born To Move 1
    7= Commotion 1
    7= Cross-tie Walker 1
    7= Don’t Look Now 1
    7= Green River 1
    7= Lookin’ Out My Backdoor 1 (feel bad for not giving this a vote now)
    7= Pagan Baby 1
    7= Run Through the Jungle 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I recently noticed that CCR only lasted about five years and the break-up was not cordial, apparently. They created a lot of memorable songs for such a short, unpleasant time together.
      They were together for quite some time before they started having hits, about ten years I think (didn't check.) They paid their dues as a bar band in small towns up and down I5. That's what Lodi's about.

Comment

CCR are a band that completely escaped my attention throughout my youth. I first heard of them when I lived in Thailand as an adult and there was a female Thai singer who did a cover of "Have you ever seen the rain?" (I think I had probably heard "Bad Moon Rising" before that, but never associated it with anyone, or paid any attention to it). It's not like the genre was alien to me. As a stoner i listened to a fair amount of the brothers Allman and Doobie, as well as various other hippy stuff like Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, Country Joe, etc I even had a friend who was into the Grateful Dead - though there was no amount of hash I could smoke - and I did get through epic quantities - to make the Dead sound anything other than tedious bollocks. But CCR never crossed my consciousness. I guess they must have been a slightly different genre, or time period or something.

I still really have no idea of much of their canon

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

They were together for quite some time before they started having hits, about ten years I think (didn't check.) They paid their dues as a bar band in small towns up and down I5. That's what Lodi's about.
          Don't forget the half-hearted pretence at being English (see also Doug Sahm and his Quintet)

Timeline

1959-1965 Blue Velvets
          1965-1967 Golliwogs
          1967-1972 CCR
          1996-date Revisited (Clifford and Cook only)

Comment

Ps I think AH Would enjoy the Dead's American Beauty. Melodically folksy, limited noodling

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              CCR are a band that completely escaped my attention throughout my youth. I first heard of them when I lived in Thailand as an adult and there was a female Thai singer who did a cover of "Have you ever seen the rain?" (I think I had probably heard "Bad Moon Rising" before that, but never associated it with anyone, or paid any attention to it). It's not like the genre was alien to me. As a stoner i listened to a fair amount of the brothers Allman and Doobie, as well as various other hippy stuff like Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, Country Joe, etc I even had a friend who was into the Grateful Dead - though there was no amount of hash I could smoke - and I did get through epic quantities - to make the Dead sound anything other than tedious bollocks. But CCR never crossed my consciousness. I guess they must have been a slightly different genre, or time period or something.

I still really have no idea of much of their canon
              At the time they were part of what was rather pathetically and inaccurately termed the Second Wave of San Francisco bands. In fact they weren't a Berkeley/Hashbury band at all and had no cred with that audience until the parade of hits began with Proud Mary in 1969. They were a bunch of blue-collar rockers who the hippies would probably have booed off-stage two years earlier.

Comment

I see. But still, that's a lot of albums and a lot of hits for just five years.

Comment

Absolutely. The singles scored one after the other. Between 69 and 72 they were rarely out of the charts. They were a reaction to the extended psychedelic noodling of the late sixties, a flash-back to 50s two-minute rockabilly, and a precursor of US punk/new wave in the late 70s.
                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 04-05-2020, 16:55.

Comment

That was the way they ran the music business at the time: work them hard while they're hot, and don't worry about longevity. The Lovin' Spoonful had a similarly 'productive' career, something like seven albums and a dozen or so singles in not much more than three years.

Comment

Those with Netflix, don’t miss the Creedence film if you’ve not already seen it. Full title: Travelling Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival At The Royal Albert Hall. It’s actually more than that, a potted history finishing with the 1970 Albert Hall show. If any of you caught them live you’re very fortunate.

Comment

How did it miss this thread?

Someday Never Comes
                        Up Around The Bend

Clearly I prefer my CCR when they were in Southern Rock mode.

Comment

1.Bad Moon Rising
                          2. Up Around the Bend (but that one probably just out of personal nostalgia as it was on a reel-to-reel tape which my big bro got my Dad to record for him back in 1970 from some end of the year radio hits rundown)

Have to confess that I know Green River mainly as the song with the YouTube video of scantily clad Pan's People dancing on TOTP.

Edit: I've just seen that a few years ago I posted "too tough to choose". I must be getting more quickfire opinionated as I age.
                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 30-01-2024, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            Those with Netflix, don’t miss the Creedence film if you’ve not already seen it. Full title: Travelling Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival At The Royal Albert Hall. It’s actually more than that, a potted history finishing with the 1970 Albert Hall show. If any of you caught them live you’re very fortunate.
                            As previously mentioned I was at that show.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              Cheers. So any excuse for a top 10

Porterville
                              Penthouse Pauper
                              Cross Tie Walker
                              Don't Look Now
                              Ramble Tamble
                              Pagan Baby
                              Sail Away (Stu Cook)
                              Tearing up the Country (Doug Clifford)
                              Joyful Resurrection (Tom Fogerty)
                              Long Cool Woman in a black dress (the Hollies tribute)
                              Will stick with the above

Comment

As previously mentioned I was at that show.
                                I missed your original mention. That must have been quite something.

Comment

Yeah, it was excellent. Though pretty much greatest hits as per the 45s. Which was unusual at a time when most bands went into extended, and often tedious, versions of their catalog. It was also striking that they were positioned in a tight group in the middle of an enormous stage, which made them look a little lost. I'd seen Cream's last concert a couple of years earlier on the same stage and, though there were only three of them, they seemed to fill the same area.

Comment

Just rereading Bad Moon Rising by Hank Bordowitz

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Call of the card. I’ll be making this into a playlist:

1= Fortunate Son 7
                                      1= Have You Seen the Rain? 6

3. Up Around the Bend 4

4= Bad Moon Rising 2
                                      4= Lodi 2
                                      4= Someday Never Comes 2

7= Born On the Bayou 1
                                      7= Born To Move 1
                                      7= Commotion 1
                                      7= Cross-tie Walker 1
                                      7= Don’t Look Now 1
                                      7= Green River 1
                                      7= Lookin’ Out My Backdoor 1 (feel bad for not giving this a vote now)
                                      7= Pagan Baby 1
                                      7= Run Through the Jungle 2
                                      I missed this thread when it was started.

1.Fortunate Son for the poignant lyrics.

2. Run Through the Jungle as a precursor to some mashup between grunge and the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion version of 90s alternative rock

Poll votes updated above but not poll positions.

Comment

Working...
                                      X