Artists who go solo but still play the hits from the band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artists who go solo but still play the hits from the band

I've mentioned before how I went to see Darius Rucker and his set incorporated several Hootie & the Blowfish songs. I've also seen Tony Wright play acoustic sets a couple of times but his only nod to Terrorvision has been playing Alice, What's the Matter? at the close of the set. Dennis Locorriere played mainly Dr Hook songs when he came to Cardiff many moons ago (which was fine by us). He was described as "the voice of Dr Hook" on the tour posters.

Any other examples stand out to people?

Does anyone go the other way and completely eschew the band's repertoire?

Johnny Marr plays some Smiths songs

Comment

I saw Hugh Cornwall solo for the first time a few months before Covid and he was accompanied by two young lads on bass and drums. They did an hour of his solo stuff then after a 15 min break an hour of Stranglers stuff. For the stranglers stuff he didn’t announce titles just shouted out a number to the mixing desk crew then ploughed on. The Stranglers hour was far better received.
      If I’d known he had a band I may have made the effort to see him years earlier. Being billed as “Hugh Cornwall” had always given me the impression it’d be solo or even worse acoustic.

Comment

Weller mixes a few Jam and Style Council numbers in apparently. The Gallaghers do with Oasis also.

Comment

McCartney has played numerous Beatles songs live.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
            The Gallaghers do with Oasis also.
            The last time I saw Noel live, the first few songs were all new ones, then he straight up said, thanks for putting up with me playing what I want to hear, now I'll play what you want to hear, and did straight Oasis and first HFB songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
              I saw Hugh Cornwall solo ....
              <raises hand meekly >...Cornwell.

Comment

John Fogerty does a lot of CCR songs.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

<raises hand meekly >...Cornwell.
                  Truropean Female, innit.

Comment

David Byrne (cunt). Won't play anything with the ex-band, who are all still with us - but will use Heads songs on stage and on tour.

Comment

Bob Mould plays both Husker Du and Sugar songs

Comment

The thread title is giving me a cypress hill earworm.

Comment

Jarv is sprinkled a few Pulp songs throughout his solo tour though not always the more obvious hits-Babies & Something Changed in the main.

Comment

In more recent years, former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett has had something of a profitable sideline to his solo career by performing material from his time with the band and releasing a number of live albums, usually under the 'Genesis Revisited' banner. Of course there's money to be made from a loyal audience of Prog-era Genesis fans, still keen to hear the old tunes but previously denied them by a band with little desire to look that far backwards. More to the point though, Hackett is still justifiably proud of that period and seems motivated to rescue his heritage in the face of the attitude of some band members (I'm looking at you in particular Tony Banks) who often give the impression that they would rather prefer it if the band had sprung into existence fully formed as the AOR/pop outfit they eventually became and that Moonlit Knights, Giant Hogweeds and Slippermen had never existed.

Comment

I've seen Peter Murphy a couple of times and he's done a number of Bauhaus songs; She's In Parties, Passion Of Lovers, Bela Lugosi etc

Comment

One of the few Drive By Truckers songs that Jason Isbell still plays is Decoration Day. I've seen him play it live on several occasions. I've also never seen DBTs play it live since he left. Think it's just one of those occasions where it was his song, he was the one who performed it when he was with the band and it just wouldn't work for anybody else.

Comment

I've seen ex-Boo Radley songwriter Martin Carr a handful of times and, iirc, only once has he played anything from the back catalogue.

Comment

I doubt that Van Morrison does many Them songs, but he did cover his own Them composition 'Gloria' with John Lee Hooker.

Comment

I've never seen a solo artist who doesn't play some of their ex band's back catalogue. Even legendary grump Paul Weller plays " A Town Called Malice" and a couple of Style Council songs ( I forget which ones) the last time I saw them.

Comment

Tom Bailey does Thompson Twins.

Speaking of that, have we covered songs about break-ups of two people who are both in the band?

Comment

Working...
                                        X