Musical repellent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Yes, Taylor Swift is great. I understand what you are saying about looking back rather than forward, but in the last few years, aided by fact that we suddenly have access to all music everywhere, I have listened to loads of stuff I would never otherwise have heard and found some real gems that I am so glad have become part of my days
    Oh yeah. Me too. But it's quite random. I might hear a song over the credits of TV show, for example, that hits me where I live and I'll track it down. But I'm rarely, if ever, moved to explore more of their work. It's just a song, not a cultural signifier of some sort for me.

Comment

I would be surprised if anyone on this board hasn't heard a Jess Glynne song before. She was the vocalist for Clean Bandit's worldwide smash, I'd Rather Be.

She followed that up being the vocalist on Route 94's UK number 1, My Love.

In fact, I like most of her guest vocalist performances. These Days with Rudimental also.

Comment

I have literally never heard of her or any of those groups/songs

Comment

Until this thread that was true for me, too.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
            I would be surprised if anyone on this board hasn't heard a Jess Glynne song before. She was the vocalist for Clean Bandit's worldwide smash, I'd Rather Be.

She followed that up being the vocalist on Route 94's UK number 1, My Love.

In fact, I like most of her guest vocalist performances. These Days with Rudimental also.
            I haven't heard anything by any of the acts you mention, at least not knowingly, and had never heard of Route 94 or Rudimental. People listen to music on headphones these days and I rarely listen to popular radio. Maybe I'm odd.

Comment

Not so odd, going on replies posted while I was posting.

Comment

Rather Be was one of the biggest hits of 2014, reaching number 1 in twelve countries. Rudimental never had such a big hit; for me their main claim to fame would be that they made the last popular recording featuring Bobby Womack:

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                  Rather Be was one of the biggest hits of 2014, reaching number 1 in twelve countries.
                  Oh! It's that song. I would never have known it was by "Clean Bandit"

Comment

There could be an age thing going on here...

Comment

Can’t believe anyone allowed this many replies to San Bernardhinault - pointing out the errors in his ways - without noting it is simply “what a fool believes”

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        There could be an age thing going on here...
                        More a thing of interest in and/or exposure to modern popular music.

Comment

And geography, too.

Comment

I'll concede that age is in some ways relevant. However, one can be an old boy and still follow current music - while knowing that the more interesting stuff won't be found in the Top 40...

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            Quite so. OTOH you do become excluded from "the conversation," If that matters to you. I've no clue who Jess Glynne is, nor do I care enough to find out, but sometimes I feel I should have an opinion. Not particularly about Jess Glynne, but anyone contemporary who's culturally significant.
                            Jess Glynne might be popular but I'd debate that she's 'culturally significant'.

Comment

Whilst hurtling towards 'out-of-touch' status myself, I can't help but be amused that the artist under discussion as an example of modern mainstream popular music hasn't put out an album for the best part of five years.

(this applies to Jess Glynne and Clean Bandit)
                              Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 30-03-2023, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                Whilst hurtling towards 'out-of-touch' status myself, I can't help but be amused that the artist under discussion as an example of modern mainstream popular music hasn't put out an album for the best part of five years.

(this applies to Jess Glynne and Clean Bandit)
                                She passed me by first time around, but I kept hearing this horrible nasally voice on these shitty sounding songs, then found out who it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X