Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artists you like who are derided on OTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ale View Post

Interesting. The best punk stuff were the obvious punk forerunners-Pistols Clash Buzzcocks X Ray Spex Adverts Damned. The best of the post punk stuff was far more experimental and inquisitive -Magazine PiL Bunnymen Cure Joy Division Banshees- but I dont see in them a Yes/ELP/Genesis/BarclayJamesHarvest/KingCrimson prog rock influence.
    Plenty krautrock in there though. Which is just prog with an umlaut.

Comment

I still love The Psychedelic Furs debut album. Suffice to say SR didn't.

Comment

I'm an enormous fan of Erasure. A huge catalogue of thrilling, moving pop songs. Derided sometimes. One of the true greats for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

He's really not...

Avril Lavigne was the first female album I bought, and I still love it.

Nocturnal Submission I'd add Papa Roach, sell out The Offspring and Wheatus to your list. Even some of Limp Bizkit, but literally only a few songs like Boiler and Rollin'. Their version of Faith isn't bad either.

Not sure how loved they are, but when I first got into them, a lot of people hated them, and that was Muse's first two albums. I bought their third and hated it.

Same with Coldplay. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are two of my all time favourite albums, I listened to Parachutes through this afternoon, but I can't stand anything about X and Y, and afterwards - well, except Fix You, which I love.
          We must be a similar age - I was so into Muse for the first two albums I trekked all the way to Newport to see them on the origin of symmetry tour. Absolutely hated the third album when they went all stadium / Queen / overblown shite. I also loved Green Day (especially Warning) until American Idiot, which was a cynical play for the emo crowd (apparently they scrapped an entire album).

Anyway, I've definitely read people slagging off Radiohead on here, who I love, and I expect there's been some hate for the Levellers too. I'm also a big fan of Madness, Alabama 3, Gomez and NOFX, who all have their (un)fair share of detractors, although not seen anything on here.

Comment

American Idiot is a fantastic album imo.

Will stick my hand up as another person who enjoys listening to Billy Joel songs from the beginning of his career. Piano Man and The Entertainer are great songs.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              I'm an enormous fan of Erasure. A huge catalogue of thrilling, moving pop songs. Derided sometimes. One of the true greats for me.

great tunes. Their 90s greatest hits is a stone cold banger.

Comment

Loads of time for both Erasure and Green Day (Poprocks and Coke being a favourite, along with Basket Case which I have had the absolute joy of banging out with the backing of a professional live band).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeysToe View Post
                  I'm also a big fan of Madness, Alabama 3, Gomez and NOFX, who all have their (un)fair share of detractors, although not seen anything on here.
                  Madness got better and better. The original stuff was great for its nutty boy elements, but songs like Michael Caine, Yesterday's Man and Grey Day, they had showed maturity and intelligence far beyond their early recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post

Madness got better and better. The original stuff was great for its nutty boy elements, but songs like Michael Caine, Yesterday's Man and Grey Day, they had showed maturity and intelligence far beyond their early recordings.
                    The Liberty of Norton Folgate is a absolutely brilliant album.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                      I still love The Psychedelic Furs debut album. Suffice to say SR didn't.
                      Also big fan of 1st album as well as TALK TALK TALK and the single FOREVER NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Definitely - all solid songs.

and... count me in for one who really does not care about Steely Dan. They dominated the airwaves in my youth and couldn't warm up to them.

This never ever gets old:

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Thirded.

Comment

I like some Sting songs

Comment

Too far, Nef.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                The best punk stuff were the obvious punk forerunners-Pistols Clash Buzzcocks X Ray Spex Adverts Damned. The best of the post punk stuff was far more experimental and inquisitive -Magazine PiL Bunnymen Cure Joy Division Banshees- but I dont see in them a Yes/ELP/Genesis/BarclayJamesHarvest/KingCrimson prog rock influence.
                                This stuff is evident to those of us who were there at the time. Ignore grumpy Fifer-children...

Comment

The OTF thing with Sting concerns his character rather than his music, I think. Of course, his solo output has not provided a never-ending stream of musical jewels, but there have been a few good moments.

Comment

I think a shorter thread would be artists we like who aren't derided (by at least someone) on OTF. It's a broad enough church that we could probably find someone on here who'd slag off Earth Wind & Fire if we looked hard enough. But the two main ones for me are Jamiroquai (as I've mentioned before) and Frank Zappa (specifically, because it's necessary to be specific with Zappa, the period around The Grand Wazoo. I don't think even Zappa's biggest fan of all time is going to try to convince anyone that he never did anything absolutely unlistenable). Got quite into Pink Floyd when I was an older teenager as well, and I still think Dark Side of the Moon and a lot of Wish You Were Here hold up when I hear bits of them now. I've got to be in a particular mood, though. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn remains one of my favourite album titles ever, but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it half as much today as I thought I did when I was 18.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeysToe View Post

We must be a similar age - I was so into Muse for the first two albums I trekked all the way to Newport to see them on the origin of symmetry tour. Absolutely hated the third album when they went all stadium / Queen / overblown shite. I also loved Green Day (especially Warning) until American Idiot, which was a cynical play for the emo crowd (apparently they scrapped an entire album).

Anyway, I've definitely read people slagging off Radiohead on here, who I love, and I expect there's been some hate for the Levellers too. I'm also a big fan of Madness, Alabama 3, Gomez and NOFX, who all have their (un)fair share of detractors, although not seen anything on here.
                                      And here I was thinking I was the only person in the World who hated American Idiot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                        I think a shorter thread would be artists we like who aren't derided (by at least someone) on OTF. It's a broad enough church that we could probably find someone on here who'd slag off Earth Wind & Fire if we looked hard enough. But the two main ones for me are Jamiroquai (as I've mentioned before) and Frank Zappa (specifically, because it's necessary to be specific with Zappa, the period around The Grand Wazoo. I don't think even Zappa's biggest fan of all time is going to try to convince anyone that he never did anything absolutely unlistenable). Got quite into Pink Floyd when I was an older teenager as well, and I still think Dark Side of the Moon and a lot of Wish You Were Here hold up when I hear bits of them now. I've got to be in a particular mood, though. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn remains one of my favourite album titles ever, but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it half as much today as I thought I did when I was 18.
                                        Are you saying that nobody here would deride Jamiroquai, or are you suggesting the opposite? I'll be very happy to deride Jamiroquai with my last reserves of derision.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          This stuff is evident to those of us who were there at the time. Ignore grumpy Fifer-children...
                                          Ha, I quite like all the bands mentioned by Ale (bar the Clash). The Buzzcocks are one of the greatest pop bands of all time.

I just think the punk year zero attitude was pernicious while it held sway in the music press and with indie notions of "respectable" (I'd say up to the late 90s), taking the posturing of Lydon and co in 76 as writ, which most of them never believed at the time anyway.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-03-2023, 08:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Yeah. Great enough to survive her rendition of it.
                                            There you go then.

(But please tell me we’re not returning to that ‘pop singers’ vocal ability’-guff from last month?)

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

I just think the punk year zero attitude was pernicious while it held sway in the music press and with indie notions of "respectable" (I'd say up to the late 90s), taking the posturing of Lydon and co in 76 as writ, which most of them never believed at the time anyway.

Much of that nonsense was promulgated by that overrated hack Lester Bangs. But speaking as one who was there at the time, it was a battle that didn't need to be fought anyway. By 76/77 Prog had had its day in the sun (with a longer run than most sub-genres). The majority of the peak era bands had either folded, were in sharp decline or moving with varying degrees of success to a more commercial sound. Of course there were still a few bands carrying the torch as it were, but I would argue that none of those were releasing albums that matched those from their heyday and they certainly weren't achieving anything like the same commercial success. That whole punk sweeping away the Prog dinosaurs thing was a load of bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

And here I was thinking I was the only person in the World who hated American Idiot!!!
                                                I like Holiday and can admit the title track is catchy. The nadir is boulevard of broken dreams and even more so wake me up when September ends, which should be called wake me up when this shite repetitive overlong dirge ends. I just don't believe Billy Joe's being sincere. Also didn't like the way they suddenly started wearing eyeliner, etc... I don't mind bands reinventing themselves but this was just for the $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  Ash (up to the Free All Angels album) I’m still keen on although not listened for a while. I feel they’re not especially popular here and the bassist might be a lot to do with it.
                                                  What's wrong with Mark Hamilton?

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                  the first three Snow Patrol albums (The two no-ones' ever heard of and the one everybody has)
                                                  I still listen to songs for polarbears and I still really like it a lot.

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  I believe I was pretty much on my own here with a liking for some US New Wave bands, particularly The Knack.

They did more than just My Sharona?

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  I like Cilla Black's voice.
                                                  Ok, this is trolling

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                  Yup. Bloody brilliant.

I don't know where I was when "prog" happened, but I wasn't there, and it completely passed me by.
                                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 25-03-2023, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

They did more than just My Sharona?
                                                    This would be my Knack issue; not disliking them but having no idea whether there is any more to like or not.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X