No announcement yet.

Moonlighting as Oasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Bronson could fill in for Ghostface Killah.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
      Are family ones too obvious? Baxter Dury's vocal style's very similar to his dad's
      They do sound very similar, though from the songs I've heard by Dury jr. he comes across as an altogether more negative chap. It would have been 'there ain't half been some fucking bastards' if it was penned by Baxter.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
        Junior (Mama Used To Say) and Stevie Wonder.
        I always thought Jay Kay of Jamiroquai was the one most obviously channelling Stevie Wonder.

Comment

Robert Plant and Noddy Holder could probably have swapped bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post

They do sound very similar, though from the songs I've heard by Dury jr. he comes across as an altogether more negative chap. It would have been 'there ain't half been some fucking bastards' if it was penned by Baxter.
            Yeah, that's a fair point, he does sound more downbeat - so probably not likely to convince if he attempted Reasons To Be Cheerful.

Comment

Clever Bastards was playing in the pub function room hired for our lecturers' union branch meeting yesterday, as we arrived.

By the time we left, having discussed the decisions taken about the next steps in our industrial action, There Ain't Half Been Some Fucking Bastards would've summed up the mood of most, having realised what our leaders mean by a 'rising'

Comment

Yep, Baxter Dury has talent but lacks the lairy humour of his old man.

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

I always thought Jay Kay of Jamiroquai was the one most obviously channelling Stevie Wonder.
                As I once mentioned on a previous post, that band's vocal blueprint always called to my mind Funky Nassau by Beginning Of The End.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L762HQ-ha7I

Sister Sledge's debut single (Mama Never Told Me, 1975) channels the Jackson 5ive almost to the letter.
                Last edited by Jah Womble; 12-01-2023, 10:38.

Comment

New Edition’s Candy Girl was also a clear Jackson 5 pastiche.

Based on Uptown Girl, 1980s Billy Joel could have had a crack at some Four Seasons numbers.

Comment

Gene October and Paul Weller?

Comment

I think several vocalists have been channelling Jim Morrison over the years. Ian McCulloch and Ian Astbury to name a couple. (I think Ian Astbury did shows with the remaining Doors members.)

Comment

I'm reluctant to start a new topic just for this, but I've always thought that Macy Gray could have been a solid stand-in for Julie 'Marge Simpson' Kavner.

Similarly, when I hear Shakira I think of Mr Bean, and vice-versa.

When Butthead indulges in his mock-singing during music videos, for years I couldn't put my finger on who it reminded me of until recently, and then it hit me: it sounds like Johnny Cash! I can't unhear it now.

Comment

I mean, it isn't the right place but the best I could find.

Introducing - AiSis.

Comment

This is the first wide-stream Ai musical recording that isn't replacing someone who is black. This has rather increased my enthusiasm. It is kind of remarkable to listen to a bit.

Comment

Oasis doesn't seem like a bad place to start with something like this - the lyrics don't have to make sense, the vocals don't have to be in tune or in time and the music can be as derivative as you like.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                the lyrics don't have to make sense, the vocals don't have to be in tune or in time and the music can be as derivative as you like.
                                Well, I'm perfectly happy with two of these apparent issues.

Comment

Judge my statement as you wish.

Comment

Ex-The Aloof vocalist and one time Luke Slater collaborator Ricky Barrow for 'Black and Gold' singer Sam Sparro

(bit niche?)

Comment

I remember thinking, when Mick Hucknall sung with The Faces, that this was a bad idea, but he was actually alright.

Comment

Rick Astley did an amazing job doing Morrissey when he played with that The Smith's tribute.

Comment

Working...
                                        X