New music for thee, 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New music for thee, 2023

The song is already out (evidently), but new album from Billy Nomates is out on 13 January so can kick things off for 2023:

Selected release schedule for the new year :

https://thedailymusicreport.com/feat...e-2023-albums/

Comment

Rozi Plain's new album is due. She's playing Celtic Connections, but clashes with Nickel Creek. Need to try and see her at some point in the spring, but it's awful close to a big change in work and I probably won't get the chance to do an overnight in Manchester or Newcastle for a gig when I've got an office to close and a team to move to a new building.

Comment

Very definitely new for me, rather than actually new - a 1979 track by San Francisco synthpunks The Units that was then remixed 30-odd years after the fact. Sonically infectious, nervous, thrilling; lyrically it's only ever become more on-point.

Comment

A few songs which are stupidly popular in Mexico right now, and it's hard not to like them. The first is "Gatita" by Bellakath, which I must have heard at least 10 times a day when on holiday recently, but I still like it.

Also heard this one a lot and managed to Shazam it. I think it's by "El Alfa" and it's called "Los Aparatos". Judging by the lyrics, I think he's Colombian.

Finally, something a bit more traditional in Mexico, some "banda" music. There are loads of bandas and many of them are apparently associated with narcos, but they've always seemed pretty innocent when I've seen them perform at baseball games or at municipal events. The following song sticks out when I hear it on the radio, its called "Charle" by Eden Munoz:

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
            Rozi Plain's new album is due. She's playing Celtic Connections, but clashes with Nickel Creek. Need to try and see her at some point in the spring, but it's awful close to a big change in work and I probably won't get the chance to do an overnight in Manchester or Newcastle for a gig when I've got an office to close and a team to move to a new building.
            She did a studio session with Marc Riley on 6 Music last week and sounded good. I noticed Iggy Pop played a song of hers on his show yesterday as well. I saw her in Kendal a few months ago playing bass with This Is The Kit but clearly she has a lot going on as a solo artist.

Comment

Very catchy new one from my faves Fucked Up; I Think I Might Be Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
                Her current track Help is growing on me.

Comment

A route one but effective newie from Sleaford Mods with an outstanding video from Cold War Steve.

Comment

Couple of infectious tracks from Togolese/French afropop act Vaudou Game.

Comment

Think I head of Thus Love from a Gideon Coe show the other week and their debut album came out in October last year. Their latest single is Put On Dog and I know they are playing the Sebright Arms in London soon as I have a ticket. I think it will be full of trendy people. They are supporting Dry Cleaning next month too.

I read the review of the new Abracadabra album, shapes & colors on the Quietus and found much to like about it. . Bit more about their background and the album on their bandcamp https://abracadabraoakland.bandcamp..../shapes-colors

Lastly, delighted to find out that U.S Girls is back with a new album next month. I had completely missed that two singles had been released last year. Futures Bet is the latest single out this month

Comment

https://houseofall.bandcamp.com/album/house-of-all

Just catching up on Marc Riley's show from last night, and he played 'Harlequin Duke' from House of All's forthcoming album. Band made of five former members of The Fall. Song and bio in link above.

Line up is;

Si Wolstencroft - drums
                        Paul Hanley - drums
                        Steve Hanley - bass, vocals
                        Pete Greenway - guitar, vocals
                        Martin Bramah - vocals, guitar

Comment

Did Riley mention he was in The Fall? He’s very coy about it.

Comment

In the new for thee vein, I am stunned that I have heard "Golden Brown" many, many times and never knew that The Stranglers did that song. I have no idea who I thought did the song. Usually I heard it, thought "ok, that's good" but it wasn't a song that I thought I needed to buy the record so heard and moved on. But, again, I'm stunned that I didn't know it was the Stranglers.

Comment

New Lael Neale song available now and forthcoming album out in April https://laelneale.bandcamp.com/track/i-am-the-river

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                In the new for thee vein, I am stunned that I have heard "Golden Brown" many, many times and never knew that The Stranglers did that song. I have no idea who I thought did the song. Usually I heard it, thought "ok, that's good" but it wasn't a song that I thought I needed to buy the record so heard and moved on. But, again, I'm stunned that I didn't know it was the Stranglers.
                                Seriously? Wow...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Seriously? Wow...
                                  Such a versatile song too..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs

Comment

I'm enjoying most of "Pop up kerching and the possibilities of Modern Shopping" by Motzart Estate. Easily Lawrence's strongest body of work since "Back in Denim". But still, there are a number of tracks that are hard to understand the logic or purpose of, other than to prove he can write irritating music.

The following song, however, is glorious and Lawrence demonstrating he's still got it, and more:

Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 08-02-2023, 19:09.

Comment

Already linked upthread, but the new Fucked Up album One Day is marvelous. 'Universal Acclaim' according to Metacritic, and I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                        I'm enjoying most of "Pop up kerching and the possibilities of Modern Shopping" by Motzart Estate. Easily Lawrence's strongest body of work since "Back in Denim". But still, there are a number of tracks that are hard to understand the logic or purpose of, other than to prove he can write irritating music.
                                        I agree with you about the sublime and the ridiculous both getting a look in. I saw him do a Q&A at Rough Trade East at the end of last month to promote the album. He was in good form; witty, perceptive and self aware, without disguising his eccentricity. Poor quality photo below.

Comment

Enjoying this Glasgowcentric piece of kod-krautrock at present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiTOzyormI

Comment

Depeche Mode-as-a-duo roar out of the starting blocks.

Comment

Well my phone told me this morning that Yo la Tengo have a new album out today. Has very good reviews apparently so will listen on Spotify.

Also, the new Brian Jonestown Massacre album is out today. Will try and listen to that over the weekend.

Comment

Chicago funk-pop duo Drama team up with Hamburg disco fiend Tensnake to irresistible effect:

Comment

I am enjoying Sam Smith. New to me, and the album is 2023 right?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...BmGPRdEWPPjioc

Comment

Working...
                                                  X