Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehow London synthpop stars Baxendale never did quite make it into the 2000s... a lost single, An American Friend, is here.

Comment

A bag of salty cashew nuts a gallo miniature cabernet sauvignon and over and over by Shalamar. life could be worse

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
        Originally posted by Furtho
        Is it the only good song to include a sax solo? To be debated another day, perhaps, but Martha & The Muffins' Echo Beach is here.
        Huh? You'd have to rule out an awful lot of early RnR, plus most Spector pop. That's before we even get to mid 70s Springsteen.
        And, y'know, jazz.

Comment

And, albeit with a pretty understated solo, 'House Party' by Fred Wesley, which I've just listened to for the first time in years on a bit of a funk trip (taking advantage of the fact that my flatmate is presumably staying at his boyfriend's place tonight).

Comment

Last week's 6mix by Nick Luscombe included a 1981 soul standard, Flashback by Imagination. The production on it is superb, and I was a fool for being too cool to like it when I was 14.

Comment

On an early 90s mainstream indie drugged-up slacker rock tip this morning, so where else is there to go but here?

Comment

Charging over the line marked Too Sweet, Possibly? go Japanese duo Vanilla Beans with a (to my ears) delicious slice of super-catchy uptempo Scandipop from 2008, here.

Comment

Longstanding minor players on the Mute label, Komputer have an experimental electropop track record as long as your arm, so a remix consisting entirely of a crunchy drum machine, an organ and an electric piano-ish synth under their doleful vocals is a bit of a surprise -- but a very nice one indeed, here.

Comment

I keep on looking for the 'like' button below posts!

Comment

Underrated pop genius Tony Mansfield of New Musik (biggest hit: Living By Numbers) once chucked away on a B-side a pair of astonishingly brilliant songs called From The Village and Guitars, which are here and here respectively.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Underrated pop genius Tony Mansfield of New Musik (biggest hit: Living By Numbers) once chucked away on a B-side a pair of astonishingly brilliant songs called From The Village and Guitars, which are here and here respectively.
                        When I worked on BBC regional TV news, I suggested This World of Water as the music for a piece the chief reporter was doing about councils' spend on bottled water. It was a proud moment when it was taken up.

Independent Love Song by Scarlett popped up on the iPod this morning. It's stupidly brilliant and will be getting regular re-airings.

Comment

Following Clive's posting of Bomb The Bass's Bug Powder Dust on Facebook, I'm finally catching up on Clear, the LP from which it was taken. Only 20-odd years late - but worth it.

Comment

A few months ago I awoke with a strange eery ear-worm, an instrumental that took me a good half hour to track down and name. It was a song I hand't heard in thirty years or more by British 70's funksters Cymande.

This is the tune, It's called 'One More'.

It contains bagpipes. If anyone knows of any other soul/funk number that utilises bagpipes please let me know.

That morning I downloaded the album and have hardly stopped playing it since.

The best known track off the album is Bra, which Spike Lee used in one of his films.

The U.K.'s finest ever soul/funk album I have decided.

Comment

Cymande were once quite heavily sampled in rap. Change In Speak by De La Soul, sampling Bra, and one of the greatest English Rap records - And It Wasn't A Dream by The Ruthless Rap Assassins, sampling The Message. Both tracks old favourites of mine.

Comment

The Damned's thundering Peel session version of I Just Can't Be Happy Today, here.

Comment

Furtho wrote: The Damned's thundering Peel session version of I Just Can't Be Happy Today, here.
                                  Thanks for the reminder. I'm about to lose myself in my Damned Smash It Up Anthology CD, by turning on my oh-too-rarely-used CD player. I particularly like to play the last two tracks of Disc 1 (Plan 9, Channel 7 and I Just Can't Be Happy Today) and the first two tracks of Disc 2 (The History of the World Part 1 and Wait for the Blackout).

Four superb tracks that I have loved since I had them on some vinyl Damned compilation for over 30 years. I've never worked out which one of those four I enjoy the most.

Comment

As an aside, The Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette album is on Youtube in its entirety, here.

Comment

The Purple Cow wrote: The U.K.'s finest ever soul/funk album I have decided.
                                      Yup, it's a great LP, all 3 albums are great, insanely under acknowledged band in Britain.

Masta Ace's "Me and The Biz" was my first exposure to them.

And from the band themselves - Brothers on the Slide

Comment

The Purple Cow wrote: It contains bagpipes. If anyone knows of any other soul/funk number that utilises bagpipes please let me know.
                                        Rufus Harley would be yer man there.

Comment

It's sad to say that GTA 5 has got me onto it, but I've been listening to loads of Black Flag for the first time in like 10-15 years.

What do they know about partying, or anything else?

Comment

Never actually great, were they, Erasure, but this morning I woke up with an earworm of their 1988 single Ship Of Fools, which is a charming piece of verse-bridge-chorus pop songwriting. It's here.

Comment

On a whim I got my hands on a download of Meat Puppets II which, whilst it isn't an all-time classic or nothing, proper takes me back.

Comment

On the iPad so too hard to attempt a YT, but Simon & Garfunkel's The Only Living Boy in New York. Sometimes Art sounds like I imagine they would sing in heaven* - when he's multi-tracked on "aaa -aaah, aaa-aaah, aaa-aaah, here I am".

Sublime.

*although I sometimes think the same when I hear Sam Cooke or Marvin Gaye.

Comment

Donna Summer's "I Feel Love":

(Thanks to this Franz Ferdinand cover/mash-up:
                                                  )

Comment

It seems like every week I learn about 5 new punk bands that fit the killed by death category, but the song that I can't get out of my head for the past 10-12 days is The Smashing Pumpkins, "Tonight Tonight." Admittedly, this is not an old song, but it's not new, so...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X