Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live performances you should probably see

AC/DC, 1977

Why? They were shit then and have never changed.

Comment

I've written lots of responses, then deleted them.

Think what you want.
      Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 20-10-2022, 23:43.

Comment

Sorry, I'm just in a grumpy mood, and I never understood AC/DC. To me there was more going on at the time.

Comment

Lots of people I respect love them, but I have no idea what they see in them either. Same with Metallica (different genre I know).

Comment

GO and LS, just now:

With apologies to Toby Gymshorts for implying that he's Fozzie Bear. For what it's worth, I think Thunderstruck is a magnificent opening track. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Barron Knights, Bury Town Hall, 1979

Comment

I've never deliberately listened to AC/DC, but like Iron Maiden (who I have), they were a band who everyone said were incredible live, right up to the 2000s.

Comment

Toby, this vid is amazing.

Comment

if it's recorded, it's not live.

Comment

*love* the image of Tobes as Fozzie Bear.

Comment

Waka waka waka.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                          Toby, this vid is amazing.
                          Good, innit?

Comment

If we're starting with heavy rock, this set from 1970 is a great place to start with Black Sabbath

Comment

I have never really sought out videos of concert performances but heavy rock is the obvious one where that makes sense; I should probably also check out Sly & The Family Stone, who were my highlight of that Summer of 69 film; and there must be some peak Stevie Wonder out there.

Comment

Summer of 69 film? Was that a Woodstock film? Or do you mean the Qwestlove Summer of Soul documentary that came out last year? Stevie Wonder was great on that documentary, in fact it was incredible all round. But I think Nina Simone's performance was the most powerful.

Comment

This is the first one that springs to mind:

Comment

This is the second one...

Comment

Finally, Jane's Addiction at Mt Baldy in 1990. There's no full concert video, but it's just a great document of that time and place. I'm fascinated by Eric Avery era JA, he's up there with Hulgar Czukay of Jah Wobble, just an amazing player who drives every song. JA were just before my gig going time, I'd have loved to have seen them play.

Comment

Cheers steveeeeeeeee, that's really good and it would never have occurred to me to seek out a JA live clip.

I've never been a big Elvis Costello fan, but this performance is outstanding, especially the keyboards.

Comment

Arthur Brown treading the line between genius and stupid. It does have the Fire Poem though which I sort of like...

Comment

Jefferson Airplane playing House at Poonneil Corners on a Manhattan Rooftop in 1969, filmed by Jean Luc Godard. This occurred a couple of months before the Beatles rooftop performance, which is probably not a coincidence.

Comment

Wow, I've never seen or heard of that before, AdC.

Comment

Yeah. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, but it was just after the period Godard worked with the Rolling Stones on One Plus One/Sympathy for the Devil. I think he was interested in the agitprop possibilities of rock music ... or something. It was also around the time Airplane released Volunteers. Rip Torn, the actor, was involved in arranging the shoot and was arrested at the conclusion. He's visible talking to a cop towards the end of the vid.
                                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 25-10-2022, 05:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Jefferson Airplane playing House at Poonneil Corners on a Manhattan Rooftop in 1969, filmed by Jean Luc Godard. This occurred a couple of months before the Beatles rooftop performance, which is probably not a coincidence.

Nov 19, 1968*:

https://rockandrollroadmap.com/place...rson-airplane/

Rip Torn had a kerfuffle with the police.

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...oncert-in-1968

*The Beatles concert was Jan 30, 1969.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-10-2022, 14:19.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X