Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan

There are a couple of old threads but none appear just to be the band generally and I reckon they warrant one.

What's prompted this is that I suddenly realised today that their Sons of Pioneers farewell tour was under way, 40 years ago. I attended one of the final UK shows, at the Hammersmith Odeon somewhere between the 17th and 22nd of November 1982. I wore a tie.

Did anyone else go?

David's got something brand new out. Reading Japanese poetry this time!

https://cortizona.bandcamp.com/album...fleeting-dream

Comment

Mary Ann Hobbs is doing a Sylvian special on 6Music on the 27th, with input from the man himself.

I want to know more about Sits' tie. For the occasion, I hope it was very narrow and, ideally, red.

Comment

Well Benjm I’m glad you asked me that. While I had a wide selection of (cheap) skinny ties at that time (including a red leather one) I went outside the box with my choice. I wore a holey/knitted tie I pinched off my stepdad when he retired. You could get a tinier knot than with a normal tie and it had a square end rather than angled. Mustard yellow, almost exactly like this:

Comment

Here’s my playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1c...Tpu0PAe7zBSUZA

Comment

I've always really wanted to like Japan. Especially when I was 15-ish (in the late 80s.) They seemed exactly the sort of cool I wanted to be.
            Unfortunately, aside from side one of Tin Drum and a couple of tracks from Polaroids and Quiet Life I just couldn't concentrate on them while listening. My mind would wander. I didn't dislike them as such, just couldn't get into them.

Comment

Huge fan here, was too young to have seen them when they were together, unfortunately. I'm a Gentlemen Take Polaroids guy, if I had to pick one album. Solo stuff started off incredible too, although in the gap between Secrets Of The Beehive and Dead Bees On A Cake he lost me somewhat.

Much later on I went to a Royal Festival Hall Sylvian gig, and it's fair to say he didn't lean on the hits too much:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-2bdea8a2.html

Comment

Used to be a big fan, but haven't even thought about them in years, I'll have to dig out their albums and have a listen

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  I wore a holey/knitted tie I pinched off my stepdad when he retired. You could get a tinier knot than with a normal tie and it had a square end rather than angled. Mustard yellow, almost exactly like this:

That sounds like a fine tie. Was it sold as egg-proof?

I've got the Exorcising Ghosts Japan compilation* but, coming at them slightly after the event, found that Sylvian's at best ambiguous attitude towards his past didn't really encourage further exploration.

* - which I see has just been reissued on double vinyl for around...forty quid!?! Jeez.

Comment

Not so keen on the early glam metal stuff. By the time they had evolved to Oil On Canvas though they were something else altogether. Night Porter is such a magnificent song it worthy of consideration in any best song of all time-though appreciate this may well be a personal opinion. And kudos for getting Ghosts into top 5.

Comment

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I liked them a lot once they’d ditched the ‘New York Dolls-wannabe’-shtick and started playing more interesting stuff. Tin Drum-era Japan is as good as anything released during that fertile time in British pop and rock.

Comment

I was listening to Adolescent Sex a while back. Weird record, kind of a bunch of British kids trying to do Minneapolis funk, but keep on getting sucked into new wave. It's not that brilliant, but there's a couple of really striking bits that seem to be slept on on it.

Comment

I was never so keen on the first couple of albums but a few songs stand out: Stateline, Suburban Berlin and Obscure Alternatives from memory.

They hold a special place as - apart from Derek who I went to the Odeon with - not one friend or loved one has ever rated them any better than “weird” or “crap”.

Comment

Oh, and some Japan trivia I’ve shared before but might stand another airing. Pre-Tin Drum Japan guitarist Rob Dean went on to an interesting second career. My New Career, if you like:
                            The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide [(Illustrator), Richard Garrigues; Robert Dean] on Amazon.com.au. *FREE* shipping on eligible orders. The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide
                            Last edited by Sits; 15-10-2022, 05:56.

Comment

One of the few bands I loved but never got to see play live, to my knowledge*.

* they may have been down the bill on an early punk gig, but I don't recall. Bear in mind I forgot I'd seen The Damned.

I still play Tin Drum now and again, love it. Massive Attack sampled from it, didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                I still play Tin Drum now and again, love it. Massive Attack sampled from it, didn't they?
                                Well that's an Interesting Thing I Didn't Know Until Today.

Comment

Can’t stand their first two albums. Love the last three. I’ve only just found out about their reunion as Rain Tree Crow. How did I miss that? I’ll give it a go after motd.

Though this actually feels familiar
                                  Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 22-10-2022, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Mary Ann Hobbs is doing a Sylvian special on 6Music on the 27th, with input from the man himself.
                                    I got around to listening to this yesterday. He's still not doing interviews, so recorded his thoughts on various aspects of his work - I suspect in response to questions sent over by Hobbs - in audio form and sent them back. These are interwoven between Japan and solo songs, so it's a decent career retrospective if you're in the mood for musings.

It's all quite dry until the end, where he opens up a bit and lets a little more personality shine through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001d5w7

Comment

Recently: "I don’t do interviews or write articles. I did my first radio interview in 15 years or so. I’m already regretting that."

Comment

He did say towards the end "if I listen back to any of this I'll probably delete it. So I won't". Same attitude to his Japan stuff. Infuriating but it's not a pose.

Comment

Just came across this when I was looking up Mick Karn after the mention of bass playing styles on another thread. I think it’s such a great photo for two reasons: (a) It’s so rare to see Japan having a laugh, especially Sylvian and (b) it’s especially poignant knowing how things ended up, especially for poor Mick Karn.

Comment

"Ghosts" is a terrific single; one of the darkest to make the Top 10 in any era. And Radio 1 played it, at least Peter Powell did.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              "Ghosts" is a terrific single; one of the darkest to make the Top 10 in any era. And Radio 1 played it, at least Peter Powell did.
                                              It was like a miracle when that reached the top ten, Uncategorized Groups in the UK IIRC. I Second That Emotion and Quiet Life made more sense chart-wise but Ghosts was very different.

A song from Tin Drum with no drums.

Comment

(Number five in the UK, to clarify.) Great record, but perhaps less of a miracle back in 1982 - when we'd seen O Superman reach # 2 just a few months previously.

Terrific era in the UK charts when pretty much anything stood a chance of breaking through.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  (Number five in the UK, to clarify.)
                                                  Gah, fell victim to the OTF hashtag trap. I typed # 5, only without the space. Which results in Uncategorized Groups

Comment

Working...
                                                  X