'Goosebumps' music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Goosebumps' music

As for happy ones, or at least dancefloor ones, Chic's I Want Your Love always does it too.

I suppose it's a variation of Stendhal Syndrome, isn't it: beauty overload, usually a rich mix of happy and sad notes.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Wow, that went out on the Monkees' programme?

Yes. Taylor would probably know exactly when. I'm guessing it would be towards the end, when they were doing pretty much whatever they wanted.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
        From The Monkees TV show
        Jesus!

"This is Tim Buckley..."

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Claudio Monteverdi, Zefiro torna

Johannes Brahms, Ein Deutsches Requiem, about a minute in, surprisingly hard to find a good online version

Gabriel Fauré, Requiem, atheists totally have the best requiems, and moustaches, don't quite know how that works

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Joan Armatrading - Love & Affection

Korgis - Everybodys Gotta Learn Sometimes

New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Clash - train In Vain

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

i know i championed Tracks of my Tears earlier but Prince certainly has a few entries in this category for me as well.

The opening few seconds of I Wanna Be Your Lover always makes me feel good knowing that i am listening to an early Prince groove and it never disappoints.

Although not my favourite Prince song, the opening to Kiss is sublime. When he goes "ugh," i cant help but make a face only usually seen by my girlfriend in the few seconds i can actually manage to have sex before uttering my bedroom catchphrase, "sorry."

Other obvious nominations are Purple Rain when he starts singing in that amazing voice of his and my personal favourite, Raspberry Beret.

Last but not least i always get goosebumps when i know The Waterboys are about to sing "she came like a comet," and then the noise that follows explodes out of the speakers. I have been known to fall over in the shower singing like a complete tit to that song.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

'I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man' does it for me. There's sort of nothing to it - it's a very pure example of charm.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

That's always struck me as his "Springsteen song."

Which is no bad thing, and leads me to this.

And then, naturally, to this.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Gimme Shelter and the opening bars of Saxon's 747 (Strangers In The Night) would be my perhaps unlikely pairing.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Cat Power - 'Colours and the Kids.' Every single time. I can't figure out how to add a link on this all-singing/all-dancing phone. The song, though, informs and enriches the soul. It's really that good.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

multipleman78 wrote:
                        Last but not least i always get goosebumps when i know The Waterboys are about to sing "she came like a comet," and then the noise that follows explodes out of the speakers.
                        YES

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Mmmm beer...

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Cool, there's my afternoon sorted.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Georgia.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

I heard Lee Dorsey's 'Working In A Coalmine' for the first time in years the other day and I was transported to the Concorde Suite soul/reggae dance night (Tuesdays) sometime in 1971.

It was a nice way to spend three minutes,

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

You should fall in love with me by Ballboy. 4'53" of goosebumps for me, though it may just be so much jangly miserablist Scottish indie to others.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

I'll second "Tracks of My Tears," especially when Smokey really starts wailing toward the end. The "baby, baby, baby" and "oooh"s always get me. That might be my favorite song of all time.
                                    One of my most cherished musical memories is going to see Smokey at Sunderland Empire around 1990. Vast majority of the evening was cabaret-style (inc a section of showtunes, tho' one of those was by Kurt Weill) and medleys and he was vocally going through the motions.

But he left the guitarist on the stage alone strumming the intro, came on to pay tribute to him for having written those chords and inspired the song, and then belted out the most incredible version of it- with me enraptured (and goosebumped) in the front row.

There were only about two other songs where he was really singing, but still a great gig.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Oh, that sounds lovely.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

The Trashcan Sinatras cover of To Sir With Love. Much greater depth than the original.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

For me it's this 70s cover version of a Neil Young tune

Prelude - After the Goldrush

Prelude - After the Goldrush (Live Version)

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

I can't think of a prettier song with a fouler title than this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM479DnZQUM

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

While I'd I'd heartily endorse This Mortal Coil's version of Song to the Siren, Buckley's live version of it just shreds me. I wish Elektra hadn't fucked around with his studio recordings so much, this beats the Starsailor track hands down.

From The Monkees TV show

Lucia Lanigan wrote: Wow, that went out on the Monkees' programme? Knockout version, does the trick for me too.
                                              Updating this as I recently found a little more info:

It was, in fact, the last Monkee's show ever. Recorded in November 1967, and broadcast the following March. Buckley didn't record another version until it showed up on Starsailor three years later. Instead he gave it to Pat Boone! who produced what is almost certainly one of the worst cover versions of all time, even by his standards.

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Haha, blimey!

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Comment

'Goosebumps' music

Blind Willie Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                                    X