Don gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don gone

Don Everly has joined Phil in the afterlife.

I like the Everly Brothers more than I love them, but -- gee whiz -- they created some gorgeous harmonies. And they had some great songs. The less celebrated albums are worth exploring. I like the 1968 Roots album, which has our boys digging (again) into the country background, but on some tracks the arrangements sound like The Monkees (whose harmonies Phil & Don helped inspire) gone country. They might have had Wrecking Crew musicians on it.

Of their big hits, I do have a particular soft spot for "Bird Dog".

I've got a big soft spot for the Everly Brothers as the soundtrack of childhood car journeys and, unlike rotation mates Geoff Love and Cliff Richard, still enjoy their music beyond its nostalgic effect.

On the other hand my mum, as I discovered when mentioning these fond memories once, didn't have a good word to say about them in later years due to what she considered an unforgivably below par performance in Birmingham some time in the 1980s.

Comment

I remember them touring in 1986. A colleague saw them in London and couldn't stop gushing about it.

Comment

Yes, I think Duncan Gardner has mentioned seeing them around then and it being fine. My mum wasn't an especially fierce critic of live performances so her ire at the Everlys rather stood out. Unfortunately I can't ask her to provide further details now.

Comment

Their melancholy songs were the best (and untypical of big chart acts of the era). The blend of their voices here is gorgeous:

And here:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-08-2021, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            I like the 1968 Roots album,
            This is a brilliant record. Their '60s output is consistently excellent, I got a compilation of it out of the library when I was about 19 and it was just great. 'The Price Of Love', 'Man With Money'...

Great singers and musicians.

Comment

As above, my reaction to seeing them in the mid 80s was somewhere between G-Man and mother Benjm
              They were clearly on the nostalgia circuit but deserving more respect than Mungo Jerry, Tremeloes etc

Comment

La Signora will be beside herself with grief.

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                Their '60s output is consistently excellent, I got a compilation of it out of the library when I was about 19 and it was just great. 'The Price Of Love', 'Man With Money'...
                I'd agree. The Price of Love is in their top five for sure. They didn't get on personally, but they sure did play well together. I've never tracked them down but some of Don's solo projects sound... erm... interesting, For instance he recorded a big-band instrumental version of Edward Elgar's first Pomp and Circumstance march, which Neal Heftiarranged, it hit the US top 40 in mid-1961. He also formed a group with Glen Campbell and Carole King in 1962 called the The Keestone Family Singers, they recorded one single called Melodrama:

Comment

These guys were geniuses. It's not just that their two part harmonies sounded like three voices, but their musical decisions were so consistently good that their records all sound like they could have been recorded at any point in the last 60 years.

They also seemingly played a major role in alerting the new York garment industry to the notion that young people might not automatically want to dress like their grandfather

I get the hair standing on the back of my neck for the "Time" in "I die each time I hear the sound."

Comment

Working...
                  X