Live albums you actually listen to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I take it that you and Cal Alamein have seen the film about the tour by Martin Scorcese on Netflix? Well worth it if you haven't
    Yes - it was a good one.

Adding to Scorsese and rock films, I re-watched Last Waltz a couple years ago and it was a bit flat whereas I was very moved the first time I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      How many great/popular artists are there who (have) never released a live album to die for (at least if you're a fan)? Perhaps The Beatles are the prime example. How about The Kinks?
      Van Halen.
      Abba (although pop has never really been the genre for live albums)
      Adam and the Ants
      Sex Pistols
      The Damned

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Van Halen.
        Abba (although pop has never really been the genre for live albums)
        Adam and the Ants
        Sex Pistols
        The Damned
        The Damned - none of these were on their regular labels (Stiff, Chiswick, Bronze or MCA) but I bought them when they came out, in Tulsa and Albuquerque no less! We are not talking Live at Leeds, No Sleep til Hammersmith, but they are quite good.

Last edited by Cal Alamein; 23-10-2020, 22:52.

Comment

So, Pearl Jam finally released Unplugged today (not sure if it was a surprise - it was to me). It is probably the only form in which I would choose to listen to PJ nowadays - it is short and comes with a huge amount of memories. My wife heard it and noted that she can't listen to any of that scene anymore, which I get - Nirvana kind of got a lucky out through death while Pearl Jam are continuing to do something that some people apparently buy.

Comment

Was looking at a feature on The Quietus pages on 'There's No Place Like America Today', and got drawn into a rabbit hole, reading about Tjinder Singh praising 'Curtis Live', and this list of Quietus' writers favourite live albums https://thequietus.com/articles/11293-best-live-albums

Comment

Holy shit...a Quietus 'best of' with some names I actually recognize. And only a few Tibetan Oil-Drum Death Metal selections.

Comment

A great list.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                  Was looking at a feature on The Quietus pages on 'There's No Place Like America Today', and got drawn into a rabbit hole, reading about Tjinder Singh praising 'Curtis Live', and this list of Quietus' writers favourite live albums https://thequietus.com/articles/11293-best-live-albums
                  I think we had a thread about that at the time and, as is the way with these lists, they have left out a lot of good stuff that we have mentioned on here. Having said that, there are some interesting ones that I have been reminded that I must check out.

Comment

I do love live stuff, but feel I've rather got out of the habit of listening to live albums in recent times. Probably my most played ones of recent years are the Chemical Brothers' "Don't Think" and Kate Bush's "Before the Dawn" (from the 2014 run of shows at Hammersmith Apollo, which I was lucky enough to get to see). More recently, I really enjoyed Johnny Marr's "Comet Tripper".

I also quite like the fact that all of the above haven't been put on the big streaming service, so if you want to listen to them you have to actually buy them.

Comment

Crowded House - Farewell to the World
                      Neil Finn - Seven Worlds Collide
                      Rush - Exit Stage Left, A Show of Hands, In Rio
                      Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e, Mystery White Boy
                      Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh (live at the BBC)

Comment

Working...
                      X