Best album cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best album cover

I honestly don't think we've done this of late. One vote each.

Got to be this one, if you ask me.

Comment

Comment

I have Klaus Voormann's autograph, as it happens.

He got £50 for the cover of Revolver. Still, that's about £950 in today's money, so he wasn't stiffed or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          I honestly don't think we've done this of late. One vote each.

Got to be this one, if you ask me.

Looks like "Arnie" in Total Recall:

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 22-02-2020, 01:14.

Comment

Comment

Close call between this and Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, but this is just plain funnier and closer to the spirit of the album and band.

Comment

'Bitches Brew', the Gilgamesh album cover that was a snakes and ladders game, Soft Machine's 'Bundles' and Ralph Towner's 'Lost And Found' all came close to getting my vote, but I but decided on this one.....

Comment

That’s quite disturbing, reminds me of John Carpenter’s remake of The Thing.

Comment

I considered Teenage Fanclub’s Bandwagonesque and Blur’s Modern Life is Rubbsh or Parklife but in the end it had to be this:

Comment

During the search for whicn I discovered these lovely outtakes I’d never seen before:

Comment

This is mine for a lot of reasons - it just epitomises the energy of the title track which, in it's like form, is my favourite song ever; it riffs brilliantly on the original Motörhead logo (which I also love) and it's excellently drawn/painted/whatever. I like the fact it is based on blue as well.

I have to say that, obviously, this is all objective but I find the photos of individuals on covers a la Born To Run and Bleach extremely boring. It's not just anything against the bands - I quite like the cover of Nevermind even if I am not a fan of the band. Indeed, going back to Motörhead, even the cover of "No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith" would be boring if it wasn't for the Bomber.

Comment

^^ Oh, those are great, Sits. I think the bottom row are a bit too cheesy, though, and in the top-left one Bruce oddly doesn't really look like Bruce somehow – he looks more 'beatnik-y', if that's a word. I quite like the top-centre and top-right pair, though.

Weirdly enough, though, it's only seeing your previous post that made me suddenly realise I apparently hadn't known what the Born To Run cover actually looks like. I honestly don't recognise it at all, even though it's such a famous album and I'd recognise any of Springsteen's other album covers. How have I seemingly never laid eyes on it before??

It's a really 'modern' looking cover, too, which is only adding to the strangeness of this sensation. There's nothing about the design, the typeface or even the clothes that says '1975' in any way shape or form. This is all very disconcerting.
                          Last edited by Various Artist; 21-02-2020, 23:09.

Comment

I quite like this out-take too, from the photographer Eric Meola's blog post about the shooting of the cover:

I was amused to discover there that because of the not inconsiderable height difference between the pair, the Boss was standing on a four-inch box for the photos.

Comment

Comment

Not that mad about the album but like the cover.

Comment

Comment

In this case, love the album.

Comment

Comment

Have been looking through my collection and got it down to a shortlist of about half a dozen from there, but I can't get past this one to be honest. It's not technically the 'proper' cover, in that it's a cut-down version of the original design featured on the LP artwork – which has the title in a gap below the stem, then after the gap the stem continues with another set of leaves – in order to work better on a CD case. But since it's the version that I got to know first, and since I think it's actually more striking like this, I'll nominate this one specifically:

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          During the search for whicn I discovered these lovely outtakes I’d never seen before:

Several other pix from the shoot have been used for other covers, like the Out-takes album.

Comment

This isn't my favorite album, and maybe not my favorite album from them, but the first Ramones album has an iconic cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              even though it's such a famous album and I'd recognise any of Springsteen's other album covers. How have I seemingly never laid eyes on it before??
                                              I’ve used a bit of album cover poster’s licence, in that what I put up was the front cover, and part of the rear. The full “outside gatefold” has a track listing to the left of Clarence, and the front cover is Bruce leaning on someone’s shoulder:
                                              Last edited by Sits; 22-02-2020, 04:15. Reason: Edit: something weird with the bold type there.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X