Night at the orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night at the orchestra

Thanks Bruno. I confess that I'm too cheap to buy the programme - it's 50% of the ticket price that I pay and consists of about 10 pages, of which about 3 are commentary on the pieces. I tend to listen to the piece and read background on wikipedia or google search beforehand rather than buying the programme.

Rafael Payare is going to be a superstar. His Don Juan and Shostakovich's 10th were superb and the best performance from the orchestra that I've heard this season. He conducted those pieces without the score, was charismatic and the musicians clearly loved playing for him.

The Mozart concerto was a piece that was clearly foisted upon him and he didn't have the same fluency. He wasn't helped that the soloist (John Finucane - who is the clarinet player for the orchestra and conductor of the top amateur orchestra in the city) appeared ill at ease and very nervous. The adagio was fantastic nonetheless.

Am off to The Tchaikovsky Perm State Ballet here in Dublin tonight and tomorrow for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. We don't get much opportunity for quality opera here in Ireland so am excited despite the choices of repetoire being unadventurous.

How are orchestras like the USSR State Symphony Orchestra and the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra thought of? I got a Brilliant Classics boxset of Russian soloists playing live such as Richter, Gilels, Kissin, Oistrakh, Kremer and Rostropovich to build up repetoire from quality musicians cheaply. Most concerto works are USSR SSO with conductors like Kondrashin and Rozhdestvensky.

Comment

Night at the orchestra

ms. ursus and I were at Kissin's Carnegie Hall debut back in 1990 (which was eventually issued on CD). It was without question one of the most electrifying performances I've ever seen.

Many/most of the major US orchestras now have collections of their program notes on-line.

This season's for the NY Phil are here.

Comment

Night at the orchestra

Ek weet nie wrote:
        Rafael Payare is going to be a superstar. His Don Juan and Shostakovich's 10th were superb and the best performance from the orchestra that I've heard this season. He conducted those pieces without the score, was charismatic and the musicians clearly loved playing for him.
        Superstar may be still a bit off but he clearly made an impression in Ireland, he's been appointed the new principal conductor of the Ulster Orchestra replacing JoAnn Falletta next season.

Comment

Working...
        X