No announcement yet.

The first single I bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm werd. I actually remember my first 5 singles. Buying singles was a big deal for a young lad back in the day. I also had a chronological, meticulous memory for anything to with football from about 1971 to 1975.

Now I'm a drunken old git who can't even remember his dinner. But those facts are still strangely vivid.

Anyway:

Poppa Joe by the Sweet.
    American Pie by Don McLean (of course I could precocious sing the lyrics of both parts 1 and 2 to any mate's mum who could bear to listen. If I'd tried it in the playground I've have just got my head kicked in).
    Little Willy by the Sweet
    Hold Your Head By Argent (a toss up between this and Dance With The Devil by Cozy Powell).
    And Wig Wam Bam by the Sweet.

Comment

The first single I ever bought was Setting Sun by the Chemical Brothers. In fact it's the only single I ever bought as everything else was a full-length CD. And yes, that does include downloads as I've never paid to download any music.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        I got "Mr Blobby" for Christmas when I was 11.
        'Widely regarded as the worst song of all time' is the standard phrase, I believe.
        My brother bought that himself. He was 12 at the time.

My first (cassette) single might well have been Enigma's Return To Innocence, from the following year.

Comment

Pretty sure it was "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus.

Comment

I'm pleased to see that the not quite top notch first purchase followed by a solid second seems to have been a common approach during the 2 Tone boom. Baggy Trousers followed by the Too Much Too Young EP for me.

Comment

I've got a horrible feeling it's Women In Uniform by Iron Maiden, either that or the Girlschool /Motorhead split.
              Though any embarrassment pales into insignificance when compared to buying that WASP single a few years later (y'now the one?)

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's Olivia Newton-John's "You're the one that I want"

Comment

"Wishing Well" by Terence Trent D'Arby.

Though I ended up buying "I Wanna Be Your Drill Instructor" at some time shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                    Though any embarrassment pales into insignificance when compared to buying that WASP single a few years later (y'now the one?)
                    I think I do. Did you go for the picture disc?

I didn't know that Blackie Lawless was briefly in the New York Dolls, albeit well into their decline and fall, until a few days ago.

And welcome, Gert!

Comment

[QUOTE=Benjm;1468646]I think I do. Did you go for the picture disc?

Just the 7", in a brown-paper bag! I also got there first Lp!!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        I'm pleased to see that the not quite top notch first purchase followed by a solid second seems to have been a common approach during the 2 Tone boom. Baggy Trousers followed by the Too Much Too Young EP for me.
                        Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute here, Benjm – are you suggesting Baggy Trousers is "not quite top notch", then? I'd beg to differ, that's pretty unimpeachable as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

It's by no means an embarrassing first single but the Nutty Boys just haven't stayed with me through the years the way that Terry's outfit have.

Comment

First one I bought myself was Double Barrel by Dave and Ansel Collins.

I’d had Pinky & Perky, Beatles’ Hard Day’s Night, and the Supremes’ Baby Love all bought for me prior to this and had older siblings who bought loads of cool stuff. But Double Barrel was the first one where I slapped my 50p on the counter and placed my order.
                            Last edited by MsD; 28-08-2018, 22:03.

Comment

Black Or White by Michael Jackson on cassette.

I was nine; I was 99% certain that Mam was going to buy me a personal stereo (not an actual Walkman, the one I wanted had some Tetris knock-off built into it) for that Christmas and so I decided to start stockpiling tapes in preparation. A pile that grew to... one. I was horrible at saving pocket money - it would all just go on comics, magazines and cans of Cherry Coke.

Nevermind, Crimbo came and as expected, I got the stereo... as well as three albums. The Seeds Of Love, Innuendo and... Dangerous. Typical - the first single I ever buy and I never even had to listen to it - except I did out of sheer pigheadedness.

She didn't buy the Tetris one either... at least, not for me and not for 1991. My sister got it two or three years later.

Comment

I bought two singles at the same time so the first would be the cassette that was scanned first.

In any case, they were Wannabe by the Spice Girls and Someone to Love by East 17.

Yes, I feel suitably ashamed.

Comment

I wish my first single had been Runaway by Del Channon.

A lot of talk on here about the first single people had bought for them. The first single I bought my eldest sprog was Murder On Zidane's Floor by Sophie Ellis Baxtor in Woolies in Stroud, Christmas 2002? She said she was bored of kid's music. She still plays it every time we drive to England.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                    Yeah. There's the first single you bought. Then there's the first one you bought that really mattered. That'd be Dion's The Wanderer.

Comment

Like Logan, I remember such trivia:

Pilot - January
                                      The Goodies - Funky Gibbon
                                      The Sweet* - Fox on the Run
                                      ABBA - Money Money Money
                                      Wings - Mull of Kintyre

*doing well on this thread. Well Logan had two.

Comment

A lot of talk on here about the first single people had bought for them. The first single I bought my eldest sprog was Murder On Zidane's Floor by Sophie Ellis Baxtor in Woolies in Stroud, Christmas 2002? She said she was bored of kid's music. She still plays it every time we drive to England.
                                        The first single bought for me was this absolute classic:

Comment

"Nobody I Know" by Peter & Gordon and "Someone" by Brian Poole and the Tremeloes. 6s 8d each. I still have both along with the Dansette I played them on.
                                          Last edited by Capybara; 29-08-2018, 08:57.

Comment

World In Motion by Englandneworder was the first one I bought with 'pocket money' on the day of the Holland game during that World Cup. I loved the b-side too. First album was Bad, bought with a record token Rachel Branch got me for my birthday.

The first one I had bought for me was Agadoo.

Comment

The first single someone bought for me. They used to pipe it into the chalets through fixed speakers. My evil, five year old mind loved the groaning discomfort it induced in everybody.

https://youtu.be/3CLTIJnRALU

Comment

Can't beat a proper Hammond Organ lead break.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                  I bought two singles at the same time so the first would be the cassette that was scanned first.

In any case, they were Wannabe by the Spice Girls and Someone to Love by East 17.

Yes, I feel suitably ashamed.
                                                  But on the bright side, you dodged the Mr Blobby bullet, or Scatman, and a whole range of others. Wannabe is undeniably a classic of the genre. My younger cousin's first was 'I've Got a Little Puppy' by The Smurfs, which was probably better than Technohead's original effort.

A few years after being given the Blobby, the first one I bought with my own money was Three Lions.
                                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 29-08-2018, 08:57.

Comment

As I mentioned on the Premier League thread, mine was Donna by 10cc (October 1972). (Amusing to see G-Man referencing my tale of fallen virtue [recounted as 'TVMP' on the old board] on the previous page - which dates back to before my time on this incarnation of OTF.)

Some serious young'uns on here. (Wannabe by the Spice Girls? Wow...)

Hold Your Head By Argent (a toss up between this and Dance With The Devil by Cozy Powell).
                                                    Your other (1972) choices suggest that it'd likely have been Argent, given that the Cozy Powell hit wasn't released until eighteen months later.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X