Prince Paul & Quasimoto C&S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical bum Prince Paul is probably best known for producing the first De La Soul album.

He should be best known for the "Psychoanalysis: What Is It?" LP he put out, a journey through Black entertainment culture and the workings of the mind.

Introduction to Psychoanalysis - although that's not what I've called the file. Humourous musice like it should be - jolly serious.

Topical round here at the moment, Drinks (Escapism).

Miles away from the Jam, That's Entertainment (Aversive Therapy). I'm still not sure if it's a Vincent Price sample.

Learn to make those ass cheeks clap at will with the Booty Clap - Miami Bass never sounded so good.

Helium voiced rapper Quasimoto is probably well known by the hip hop fans around here, but everyone else should know these tracks, in all their other-worldly glory.

Discipline 99 Pt. 0
    Goodmorning Sunshine
    Come on Feet

I'm not going to cheapen those tracks by any further exhortations.

There's more from those two LPs on the Hallowee'en mix I did last week.

This is rubbish, really, but as a bonus, have Bone Thugs N Harmony doing a cover of "Fuck Tha Police" - it's the sample on the chorus, someone going "Surpriiiise" that I dig.

Excellent!

I didn't really know you were into this kind of stuff, SW2.

Prince Paul is one of the many artists I should investigate more. You see, in the mid-90s I was really into that ultra-slow & heavy (and usually instumental) hip hop that was the logical extreme conclusion of trip hop. (Dub Hop, I personally christened it.) Scorn, Techno Animal, SIMM, the Wordsound and Asphodel labels, etc, etc. (I really must put together a coherent 'mixtape' of that stuff - I think it was so influential on alot of the Techstep, Dubstep and similar stuff that has followed. I keep meaning to, but always put it off, thinking that no-one would be interested. I must do it, though) Anyway, of course 'Psychoanalysis...' was released on Wordsound and yet I never really looked into his stuff (and massive legacy). This will be a handy starting point, so thanks for this.

For my part all I can offer is a version that I hope might be new to you: the remix of 'J.O.B.' by Eraldo Bernocchi from the Wordsound compilation 'Shake The Nations'.

Download here.

Comment

I'd be interested in that, evilC, and I have to admit I'd be rather interested in a complete version of the album, sw2......

Comment

Will post more - will take a few days - must dash...

Comment

Sorry, was just about to post when the real world called.

evilC – I have a very catholic taste (or is that catholic tastes? Still, it’s not the Spanish Inqui…oh, shurrup man), I’ve got a few other bits & pieces on Wordsound too, unfortunately all vinyl and I’ve never been able to get my vinyl-to-PC gizmo to work, including a 12 of “Booty Clap” I bought in Dresden. At this time I was all about Dr Octogan, TC Islam and a bunch of other stuff I’d probably remember if I had my records here.
          “Psychoanalysis” I’ve got on vinyl but also on a Tommy Boy CD that has different tracks on – unfortunately it’s missing one of the best tracks on the LP, but has a few extra ones too. I couldn’t download that remix you put up, no free user slots available, but I’ll have another go next chance I get.

So, I have this “Psychoanalysis” on vinyl.

And this on CD.

Toby – yeah, I can do I little sump’n, sump’n for you, but I move at the speed of the Civil Service on this type of thing.

Comment

Right, young Toby and your technicolour gymshorts, have a .rar.

Psychoanalysis - the CD version from 1997.

And here's a track off the PP album "Itstrumental".

"The Night My Girlfriend Left Me"

Comment

I don't know how I missed Quasimoto, Madlib, and most of MF Doom's stuff, so thanks for this post. Anyway, I did the usual Google search for the The Madvillainy Demo Tape but keep running into dead ends. Does anyone have this sitting on their hard drive and willing to upload or have a link that still works? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X