• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Can someone explain Nef's clue?

Comment

To make "starsky" from "starship" you have to replace the letters HIP. The clue's a bit terse, perhaps.

Comment

Ah. I'd spotted that, but was obviously trying to read too much into it. Ta.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good, myself.

You could interpret the replacement of Starship with Starsky as another kind of hip replacement the Hippy energy of the counterculture seventies replaced by the Californian police show.

But even without that surely you have everything you need. The word is clued, as is the definition. What more do you want?

Comment

nefertiti wrote:

You could interpret the replacement of Starship with Starsky as another kind of hip replacement the Hippy energy of the counterculture seventies replaced by the Californian police show.

But even without that surely you have everything you need. The word is clued, as is the definition. What more do you want?
            Oh. I'm not denying that once it's been pointed out - just that I couldn't work it out, even when the answer was there.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
              nefertiti wrote:

Oh. I'm not denying that once it's been pointed out - just that I couldn't work it out, even when the answer was there.
              Not responding to you- more to Andy's "bit terse, perhaps" which continued a general confusion about what is deemed to be a good clue, what's too clever, and what's too prolix.

Comment

Must admit I'm stumped by Andy's too.

Comment

Nef, are you soliciting opinions on your clue?

Comment

yes. Is it unfair, too terse, or otherwise insufficient, too clever? if so what would be a better one using the stars(hip) replacement notion or is the notion iteself fundamentally flawed?

Comment

OK, well, to be honest then, I think it's a bit flawed, yeah. I don't think the wordplay's really precise enough (the "ky" in Starsky just sort of arrives from nowhere and doesn't do anything), and I can't really make sense of the surface reading (Starship Starsky? What's that?)

Comment

My terse "a bit terse" comment meant that I'd probably given more pointers to what the solver was meant to do if I'd been writing the clue, not that it was a bad or unfair. If I were to be really nitpicky, I'd say that "starship starsky" doesn't hold a clue about its being the "operation" - that's at best implied. So speaking personally, I'd at least add that hint by saying something like "starship to starsky".

Comment

Would a hint or two for mine be welcome at this juncture?

Comment

I appreciate your honesty. We're really talking about aesthetics here, aren't we, as we might be on the music or the books pages? That's to say I can't see a flaw in the clue (as I could recognise in my "Extort ex-trot" clue of a few examples back). We both admire The Wire. Here we differ.

Myself, I prefer that kind of cluing to the more pedantic "inside" "back" type clues stuffed with codifications and abbreviations. Occasionally what I'm trying to do comes off. Sometimes it doesn't.

For me it's enough that "Starship Starsky" is (I think) a rather elegant example of a hip replacement- and i don't think it would have been improved with a reference to KY jelly-which I contemplated. Perhaps it should have been punctuated differently- or "Starship becomes Starsky" which I also contemplated. But that would have made it much easier - and much less elegant ( in my eyes).

And yes a clue would be great, thanks.

Comment

OK - "screwed" can also mean "fucked".

Comment

Or "shagged".

Comment

_ _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ A _ _

Comment

Gorgeous woman and mean rabbi leaving Brokeback Mountain rerun (8)

Comment

Knockout, in the style of a native of the Bush (5)

Comment

Knockout, in a manner Irish, dazed.

(6, 6)

Comment

Koala cult reefs broken up for decoration (3-4,7)

Comment

Most diligent like Hardy Oak-leaf cluster arrangement (11)

Comment

Sometime carefullest rag- one worth waiting for? (8)

Comment

Estragon, the Franco-German, crushed underfoot (9)

Comment

estragon, one of four penalties for foreign grasses

(5, 6)

Comment

Cep a l'estragon served in sports arena? Quite the contrary! (8)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X