Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost at Old Trafford, to Cardiff? Strike a light (4,5)

Comment

Aren't clues supposed to help? Guy's pictures just leave me scratching my head even more.

Anyway, struggling with mafu's now.

Comment

On the other hand, the full beauty of Guy's clue has just struck me: the plural "grounds" and everything. Very nice.

But no, the hint is something I've only been able to decipher partially, in retrospect. Buzzby = Busby, I guess, and Kingmaker must have something to do with the Warwick Road End. I don't recognise the boxer.

Comment

A damn, darn bold roundly praised winner of many a test match (6, 7)

Comment

How does the first part of mafu's clue work?

Comment

Rogin, yours is puzzling me, because the first bit looks like an anagram, but there's nothing in the rest of the clue to suggest an anagram.

Comment

Old Trafford lost its test match status to Cardiff. It's more of a Times clue tha a Telegraph one, that.

Mine should point to anagram, yes, you're right, I'll try and amend it.

Comment

Donald Bradman to work in factory? (3,7)

Comment

It may be nitpicking, but Old Trafford hasn't lost its test match status. It's still Category A, which means that test matches and other internationals can be played there. It's just that a test hasn't actually been scheduled there. Cardiff was elevated to Category A, but that action didn't entail any loss of status for OT.

Comment

_ _ _ / M _ _ _ _ _ _

Comment

Run machine played for Portugal (7)

Comment

Andy C wrote:
                          It may be nitpicking, but Old Trafford hasn't lost its test match status. It's still Category A, which means that test matches and other internationals can be played there. It's just that a test hasn't actually been scheduled there. Cardiff was elevated to Category A, but that action didn't entail any loss of status for OT.
                          I think that strengthens mafu's clue, though; it wasn't test match status that was lost to Cardiff, it was a test match. Nice clue.

Comment

Comment

Maniche's former club were a generator of capital

(6, 6)

Comment

Days become weeks for developer of Dynamo Moscow and Kiev, for example, as Crosby sang (3,4,6)

Comment

Dymano Moscow upset, lose both man and beast and threaten Ulster.

(6)

Comment

Not surprised, this is a tricky one; it was a hellish answer to work in!

F _ _ / _ W _ _ / _ _ _ C _ _

Comment

I thought that's what it was, Wyatt, but I wasn't sure of all the details.

Seedy far away places carbon instead of fluorine.

(7)

Comment

The Caraway Game? (5,5,4)

Comment

Grand Theft Auto messed up without insult to Don.

(9)

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                                            On the other hand, the full beauty of Guy's clue has just struck me: the plural "grounds" and everything. Very nice.

But no, the hint is something I've only been able to decipher partially, in retrospect. Buzzby = Busby, I guess, and Kingmaker must have something to do with the Warwick Road End. I don't recognise the boxer.
                                            It's an actor, Jason Statham, as in

Brian Statham Way - Warwick Road (Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, aka "The Kingmaker") - and Sir Matt Busby Way

(all effectively the same road from the Metro station - Old Trafford to the football ground of the same name)

Comment

Andy C wrote:
                                              Don't worry, Bill Morris and the ECB will soon see that it doesn't warrant Category "A" any more, by bringing in the "north of the Trent" rule.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
                                                Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:

It's an actor, Jason Statham, as in

Brian Statham Way - Warwick Road (Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, aka "The Kingmaker") - and Sir Matt Busby Way

(all effectively the same road from the Metro station - Old Trafford to the football ground of the same name)
                                                Stone the crows, guvnor, yew carn expect me'a know VATTTT!

Comment

Godfather trains one party (6)

Comment

not 100% sure but

Some pale person, a pariah (5)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X