No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with both the wordplay and a response on this one.

Comment

Sam loses distillate for Bacardi (7)

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
        Right to the end, Catalan club pre-eminently displays indomitable spirit (7)
        Barca with right to the end -> BACAR

+ pre-eminently (ie in foremost position) D(isplays) I(ndomitable)

Comment

So not "club" and "card" then…

Comment

So not "club" and "card" then…

Comment

_ _ L _ _ _ _ _

And of course, the discalcula has struck again.

Eight letters

Comment

Guess northern lass mixed up ZZ Top’s cheap rhyme for molasses (10)

Comment

Fixing palm above sunglasses, they shield against bright light (10)

Comment

Lampshades, a thousand created! (5)

Comment

_ _ _ _ T

Comment

_ E _ _ T

Comment

Ok. Private Eye again

US state briefly declined morally and gave way (9)

"Collapsed"

Where has the second "L" come from people?

Comment

Chambers gives 'Col.' as one of the abbreviations for Colorado.

There seem to be some variants to the two-letter versions; for instance, I've seen 'Cal.' used quite often in the wordplay of clues.

Comment

More letters on mine:

B E _ _ T

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                Chambers gives 'Col.' as one of the abbreviations for Colorado.

There seem to be some variants to the two-letter versions; for instance, I've seen 'Cal.' used quite often in the wordplay of clues.
                                Thanks.

I thought US states had two letter abbreviations by convention

Comment

Something I can actually contribute on this thread.

Each state was assigned an official two letter (all caps) abbreviation when the US introduced postal codes (Zip codes) in the 1960s. Prior to that time, there was no convention as to length, with some widely used abbreviations (Calif.) being longer than the full names of some states (Ohio). Col. and Colo. were the accepted abbreviations for the state before the adoption of Zip codes and CO.

Comment

Meanwhile, thanks to SA my knowledge of lampshade manufacturers has been enhanced by infinity per cent.

Hamlet's ending, in a roundabout way, begat comedy (6,3)

Comment

I'm still none the wiser

If anyone can cast any light on this?

(Google was not a great friend in this circumstance)

Comment

I think one meaning of "lamp" is to thump someone, or in this case beat. I was not 100% sure till I saw I.T.'s new clue to confirm it

Comment

By the way it was a pretty shrewd clue S.A.

Comment

Indeed

Now it's been explained .

Comment

thanks, and that's the correct parsing.

Comment

Father Ted's tipsy, plastered. (6)

Though I'm not sure of Father Ted, as I don't really see where the roundabout way fits in

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Something I can actually contribute on this thread.

Each state was assigned an official two letter (all caps) abbreviation when the US introduced postal codes (Zip codes) in the 1960s. Prior to that time, there was no convention as to length, with some widely used abbreviations (Calif.) being longer than the full names of some states (Ohio). Col. and Colo. were the accepted abbreviations for the state before the adoption of Zip codes and CO.
                                                  Quelle etoile!

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                    Father Ted's tipsy, plastered. (6)

Though I'm not sure of Father Ted, as I don't really see where the roundabout way fits in
                                                    Yes, you have it, SA.

begat = FATHERED, surrounding (ie in a roundabout way) Hamlet's ending = T

Comment

Working...
                                                    X