Clear All

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Etienne wrote: Stupid fucking game.
    Fucking great game.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote:
      Originally posted by Various Artist
      Previous manager (for 22 seasons) VerpissDichBayern is a name I recognise, and now it's going to bug me as I can't recall from where. Was he in MLX, perhaps?
      Rooting through the history of all 64 teams to find out is definitely an assistant job. See section 4, subsection 7, paragraph 2 of your MLX Assistant's handbook.
      Hah! Maybe no need for that, though – I've just spontaneously had the word "rodent" pop into my head upon looking at the name again here, so I'm willing to bet that's because my subconscious has retained a memory that he founded Amphibious Rodents...

Edit: Bingo. Thank goodness for that.

Comment

I'm starting a bit of a sell-off at Noirs de Bigorre, where I have been fighting a losing battle against an ageing demographic. Goalie Jin-Tae Pil, 35/14 is in his 7th training session after 13 games of the season and has form of 6. I think it's fair to say the ship has sailed for this championship medal winner.

That's the main catalyst for doing some cashing in now, rather than risking value loss at the CR. Along with Pil will go fellow title winners 28/13 defender Giovanni Araboni, 30/14 midfielder Hasna El Maarofi, and probably 28/14 midfielder Raf Cristiano. Just waiting for a couple of makeweights to come in to see out our fixtures, then start a slow youth-based rebuild.

I don't think this is going to be to the detriment of either of the OTFers in the XPert Zone top flight; at least we are taking up one of the relegation spots. As a postscript, Pil, Araboni and Cristiano are the three "pools players" - where most of the 23m windfall went back in Feb 15. It really is the end of an era.

Comment

Various Artist wrote:
          Originally posted by SouthdownRebel
          Originally posted by Various Artist
          Previous manager (for 22 seasons) VerpissDichBayern is a name I recognise, and now it's going to bug me as I can't recall from where. Was he in MLX, perhaps?
          Rooting through the history of all 64 teams to find out is definitely an assistant job. See section 4, subsection 7, paragraph 2 of your MLX Assistant's handbook.
          Hah! Maybe no need for that, though – I've just spontaneously had the word "rodent" pop into my head upon looking at the name again here, so I'm willing to bet that's because my subconscious has retained a memory that he founded Amphibious Rodents...

Edit: Bingo. Thank goodness for that.
          Good work, VA. And to think I'd have just started at A and worked my through.

Comment

Given it's Amphibious Rodents we're talking about here, it probably wouldn't have taken you much longer then!

Comment

Sits wrote: I'm starting a bit of a sell-off at Noirs de Bigorre, where I have been fighting a losing battle against an ageing demographic. Goalie Jin-Tae Pil, 35/14 is in his 7th training session after 13 games of the season and has form of 6. I think it's fair to say the ship has sailed for this championship medal winner.

That's the main catalyst for doing some cashing in now, rather than risking value loss at the CR. Along with Pil will go fellow title winners 28/13 defender Giovanni Araboni, 30/14 midfielder Hasna El Maarofi, and probably 28/14 midfielder Raf Cristiano. Just waiting for a couple of makeweights to come in to see out our fixtures, then start a slow youth-based rebuild.

I don't think this is going to be to the detriment of either of the OTFers in the XPert Zone top flight; at least we are taking up one of the relegation spots. As a postscript, Pil, Araboni and Cristiano are the three "pools players" - where most of the 23m windfall went back in Feb 15. It really is the end of an era.
              Blimey, it is too. El Maarofi scored your consolation against Sheffield FC on Saturday as well, didn't he?

Thought that matchday was going to be terrible all round, as Tiree were also outgunned by the other half of Sheffield's top-flight axis of evil, Paris Saint-Germain FC, while Sans Culottes' gentle backward slide looked like gathering alarming pace as they were losing at Großkayna for most of the game – but then nicked a late equaliser to stay in relative midtable security:

I can't see either Sits' or my side escaping at this point; Tiree managed a very late run for home last season but it would be a miracle to pull off the same thing twice in a row. As you can see we've lost every game against the top 7 so far, with the exception of a home draw with Sheffield (which, all things equal, is keeping them off the top right now, so hurray) and still have to play six of those again on the way back. If we can't win tomorrow against Borussia Dortmund that could as good as seal our fate as there's only two remaining matches with a reasonable anticipation of victory, against the bottom pair. My best hope perhaps is that our return fixtures against the four teams immediately ahead of us are all at home.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: Given it's Amphibious Rodents we're talking about here, it probably wouldn't have taken you much longer then!

Comment

It's my first CR in the Golden League. Am I right in thinking today is training day?

Comment

I think you're probably right Sean, for some reason I had it in my head that the playoff matches would be on Thursday, but the league info page has the season ending on 6th June.

Comment

I did mine today. The playoffs are always indecently soon after Round 14.

Comment

I'm limited as to which players I can train, to be honest, as I need to pare that squad down somewhat, and I won't be making any decision on who leaves until the CR has taken place.

Comment

X11 Ladies League Matchday 5 report.

Code:
                          Division 3d

Hammer Throwers 	1 - 2	Viking South Utsira
                          Rojo 9'				Lurdes Quental 35'
                          Moa Jönsson 48'

Division 4h

Drakaina		4 - 1	Sunhilla Ladies FC
                          Winter 1', 68', 74'		Runvik 34'
                          Sietaridis 84'

Coxy Ladies Wulpen	0 - 0	Watergate Bay Surfers

Division 4j

Attenborough Naturals	3 - 1	Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                          Singh 1'			Prins 51'
                          Annoni (pen) 28'
                          Donegal 55'

Witches of Chiswick	1 - 3	San Francisco Wet Cats
                          Ota 56'				Leslie 30'
                          Sviland 40', 92'

Division 5:17

The Pretty Reckless 	2 - 1	LNWR Locomotive
                          Kristoffersson 35'		Ryman 23'
                          Ströbeck 58'

Division 5:22

Solent Sirens		0 - 0	ASOS Warriors

Division 5:29

Dublin City Womens FC	0 - 0	Charlton Ladies

Division 6:40

Invisible Ladies	1 - 0	Luculenus LFC
                          Paul 89'
                          Marku (sent off) 39'

Division 6:55

Sidro Crew 		1 - 0	Menywod Maeshafn
                          Wareing 16'

Division 6:62

Mariedals IK 		0 - 3	Csiki Girls
                          Sheerin 4'
                          Lester 51'
                          Israca 73'
                          Viking South Utsira travelled to Hammer Throwers looking to maintain the strong league form that had propelled them to the summit of Division 3d.
                          There was an early set-back for The Blood Eagles when Hammer Throwers launched one over the 70m line to make it 1-0 after just nine minutes play. Utsira were not fazed by this display of athletic prowess, and drew level on 35 through a header by their old warhorse Lurdes Quental. The first half ended with a set-back for Viking as Bergljot Kvalvik was carried off with a nasty looking knock. Kvalvik had actually picked up a minor injury as early as the 7th minute, but wasn’t substituted by boss Velvet Android and then took a second whack. She will be out for both 4 days and 11 days, the periods out to happen concurrently (how does that work?!?).
                          If the opening period had ended on a downer for The Blood Eagles, the start of the second was quite the opposite as they moved in front on 48 minutes. It came from a direct free-kick, scored by Moa Jönsson, who is finally getting her chance as the dead-ball leading lady after many seasons understudying Quental.
                          There were further chances after Jönsson’s goal, all for VSU and none converted, which was basically immaterial as the two they already had were enough to keep them a point clear of Mighty Aphrodite.

Drakaina are enjoying life in Division 4h following their promotion last season. Which isn’t the case for those who come up against them, such as Sunhilla Ladies FC.
                          The Dragons gave their first snort of flame within seconds of the opening whistle, Grace Winter heading home. Sunhilla dug in in response to this, and managed to keep things close enough for their equaliser, after 34 minutes to be just about deserved.
                          The match went through its third quarter scoreless, but with Drakaina building up a head of steam. This turned to sheets of flame in the second half of the second half, Winter heading a second on 68 minutes and then completing her hattrick on 74 before Laria Sietaridis completed the scoring for Etienne’s side on 84. 4-1 it finished. Scorching.
                          Nothing anything like as exciting happened at Coxy Ladies Wulpen as they and Watergate Bay Surfers played out a bore draw.
                          The Waders didn’t even manage a shot, whilst Watergate Bay had just one effort on goal all match as the Curlew’s Nest crowd were thoroughly bored.
                          The draw left Janik’s side still bottom of Division 4h, whilst Drakaina moved to completely the other end as they assumed top spot.

Two sides in the Division 4j relegation zone clashed as Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC travelled to Trilobite Terrace to take on Attenborough Naturals.
                          That the Naturals were so low down the table is surely attributable to a post play-off hangover and unfortunately for The Sea Spirits it would appear they were ready to emerge from their darkened room and face the world. Indeed it was 1-0 to the hosts within seconds, and two before the half-hour after a contentious penalty (contentious because all penalty against OTF sides are such).
                          SeanoftheShed’s side were not without chances in the opening half, so it wasn’t particularly surprising when they pulled one back on 51 minutes, Cindy Prins heading home, but Attenbroughs soon had their advantage back at two and upped their level for the rest of the game to mean it was them rather than Kanjeng who threatened to add to the score.
                          Also struggling at the wrong end of the 4j table are Witches of Chiswick, with their latest opportunity to kick-start their season coming against San Francisco Wet Cats.
                          It was a chance that The Bewitched failed to seize. They spent the first half on the back foot, culminating in San Francisco scoring twice. Manager Wiblflibl emphasised at half-time that there was a way back, but it would take a much improved performance, and it appeared the team were listening when Terumi Ota nodded home on 56 minutes.
                          The match stayed at 1-2 into stoppage time, giving some hope to the Field Lane crowd. Some, but limited, as it was the Wet Cats creating the chances, one of which was finally taken on 92 minutes to confirm Chiswick’s defeat.
                          The OTF sides remain the bottom two in the 4j standings, both three points from safety, with The Bewitched +2 GD ahead of The Sea Spirits. The two sides meet next week, with the return the week after. If either one gets four or six points from it their chances of surviving at this level will be much enhanced.

LNWR Locomotive journeyed to The Pretty Reckless on the back of two league wins in which they had scored four both times.
                          The Steamers fans would have been hopeful they were about to witness another flurry when Lisa Ryman crashed home a shot from range after 23 minutes. However this would prove a false dawn for Viktor Boskovic’s charges, as it would prove their only shot of the afternoon. That made it a question of hanging on for a win, and then, following The Pretty Reckless netting a first half equaliser, a draw. Which disappeared when the hosts went 2-1 up on 58 minutes.
                          Defeat saw Locomotive drop a place to fifth in Division 5:17. They are still only three points off the top and two behind the play-offs, but are also level on points with the drop zone as just three points separate top spot from seventh!

Second against fourth was the billing for Solent Sirens encounter with ASOS Warriors. The game wouldn’t live up to its trailer...
                          The Sirens saw less of the ball then their opponents in the opening half, but without either side calling the opposition goalkeeper into action. Slightly more happened during the second period, but only slightly. Once again Solent didn’t manage a shot, but ASOS did. Twice. Both were comfortably dealt with by Sirens ‘keeper Lucy Berkley, but it’s the thought that counts, eh?
                          Andre7610’s side remain second in Division 5:22 despite the points drops in the draw, though they have lost a little ground on leaders Magnificent Girls who are now three points clear.

Not all nil-nil draws are the same. There is the one above, which was a disappointment for the OTF side, and then there was the one between Dublin City Womens FC and Charlton Ladies.
                          Actually, this probably did come as something letdown for Mortal Joe and his side as they really need a win or two to convince themselves that they can play at this level. However getting a point, the first of the current season, was a decent silver lining. That was all the Phoenix Park crowd had to cling to after a match of just one shot, which came from Charlton.
                          Dublin may be off-the-mark, but they remain bottom of Division 5:29, and are now six points from safety.

Invisible Ladies score OK, but not free-flowingly, and they don’t concede many at all. Luculenus LFC are pretty incompetent in front of goal but are not leaky at the back. The stage was seemingly set for a one-way game, and something of a borefest too boot.
                          That isn’t exactly how it panned out, though. The first-half was scoreless, but far from chanceless. Indeed The See-Throughs had six opportunities, but unfortunately for Pebblethefish’s side couldn’t convert any of them. Meanwhile visitors Luculenus created three chances, again without finishing any.
                          There were less opportunities after the break, and that despite Luculenus playing all of it with ten men plus some of the first following a straight red card for Besniketa Marku after 39 minutes. However just when it appeared that Invisible were going to have to settle for a draw, up popped Chelsea Paul to fire an 89th minute winner.
                          Paul’s goal kept the See-Throughs top of Division 6:40, two points clear of Girls Aloud.

With just three points separating Menywod Maeshafn from leaders Sidro Crew the meeting of the sides at Nasip kod okretista opened the chance for The Welsh to move themselves back into the promotion race that they had been expected to be contesting.
                          The first half didn’t go exactly to plan for IsThatcherDeadYet’s side, as Sidro Crew took lead, converting one of their three pre-interval chances. Maeshafn had controlled possession in the opening period without using it tellingly, but were determined to do better after the break. And they did, in terms of chances created. Seven came... and went unconverted as once again Maeshafn got limited reward from a game they should have won.
                          It was a loss that saw them slip two places to sixth in the Division 6:55 standings. This is a team much too good to go down, surely!

Csiki Girls were not expected to have any problems with managerless Mariedals IK, and didn’t.
                          The game was nearly dead as early as the 4th minute following Afton Sheerin giving Ad Hoc’s side the lead. Christina Lester made it two early in the second half, just her fourth goal in 186 appearances for the Csiki’s. It was a breakaway strike rather than a header as well. A more tyical defenders goal, Liraz Israca heading home a corner, produced the three and final strike of the day after 73 minutes.
                          Csiki Girls stay top of Division 6:62, two points clear of second and three ahead of third. They are unbeaten in the league, and yet to concede a goal this term.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: I'm limited as to which players I can train, to be honest, as I need to pare that squad down somewhat, and I won't be making any decision on who leaves until the CR has taken place.
                            I'm in a similar position with my new Golden League team, I'll wait for the change report before deciding on who to sell and who to train.

In the Brythonnic I've bought a player each from Sits and Sean, both 18/4s and rated fair. From Sits Jian Wei Pong is a 10.30 compatibility and from Sean Ray Tourenne is slightly worse at 2.30.

Does this mean that if they bought from each other the players would be very incompatible?

Comment

In theory that should mean our players would show poor compatibility if assessed by the other manager.

Comment

And in theory one of AE's players would be somewhere around 2'o'clock for me, and 10'o'clock for Sean.

Sulawesi are too skint even to test this at present.

Comment

As admin, I rather enjoyed that bit of wheeler-dealing AE – I've never had to approve a direct transfer before. Was amused to see you buying the new academy products off both Sean and Sits.

Comment

Janik wrote: ...The first half ended with a set-back for Viking as Bergljot Kvalvik was carried off with a nasty looking knock. Kvalvik had actually picked up a minor injury as early as the 7th minute, but wasn’t substituted by boss Velvet Android and then took a second whack. She will be out for both 4 days and 11 days, the periods out to happen concurrently (how does that work?!?).
                                    If the opening period had ended on a downer for The Blood Eagles, the start of the second was quite the opposite as they moved in front on 48 minutes. It came from a direct free-kick, scored by Moa Jönsson, who is finally getting her chance as the dead-ball leading lady after many seasons understudying Quental.
                                    There were further chances after Jönsson’s goal, all for VSU and none converted, which was basically immaterial as the two they already had were enough to keep them a point clear of Mighty Aphrodite.
                                    Thanks as ever for the great roundup, Janik. I was actually very pleasantly surprised by Bergljot's injury – inasmuch as the half-dozen times I've ever seen this 'minor then major in the same match' thing happen before, it's invariably resulted in a hideous major injury, at or near the maximum 26 days. So I was quite shocked to find it's 'only' 11 days, which is far less than I've seen any equivalent situation end in and a hell of a lot better than I was fearing.
                                    Glad you'd picked up on my finally promoting Jönsson ahead of Quental in the freekick-taking this season. Lurdes was in terrible form in the early part of the season and I thought this really was it for her at last, certainly in the deadball department – but she has now run back into fine form while Moa's has taken a dive, so I've elected to be pragmatic and swap my designated taker back and forth depending. Lurdes grabbed two freekick goals today in an exciting 4-2 Cup win to send us through by, um, 4-2 on aggregate, so I think I made the right choice there. Sad to see though that there were some slim pickings for the OTFers elsewhere.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: As admin, I rather enjoyed that bit of wheeler-dealing AE – I've never had to approve a direct transfer before. Was amused to see you buying the new academy products off both Sean and Sits.
                                      That's the best part of taking over a new team, winding down the car window and doing my best to be 'arry. I've also seen the compatibility with two other clubs for possible future deals.

The club had no investment in the youth academy and all bar one of the youngsters on a one skill bar increase from 18/4 so I thought I'd gamble on a few youngsters and try to get double jumps, especially as some stronger teams will be joining and I won't be flying up the leagues.

That's the plan anyway, doubt it'll happen.

Comment

X11 Ladies Cup R3. The last one over two legs this season.

Code:
                                        Csiki Girls		1 - 1	FC Barlingbo
                                        Carlberg 80'			Adelbo 27'

FC Barlingbo		1 - 0	Csiki Girls
                                        Hult 55'

Barlingbo win 2-1 on aggregate

Dublin City Womens FC	1 - 1	The Mass WFC
                                        Thompson 75'			Figueiredo 52'

The Mass WFC		2 - 0	Dublin City Womens FC
                                        Figueiredo 13', (pen) 73'

Mass win 3-1 on aggregate

BW Günthersdorf 	0 - 0	Viking South Utsira

Viking South Utsira	4 - 2	BW Günthersdorf
                                        Quental 12', 65'		Alves 52'
                                        A.Austrheim 48'			Bustarmante 76'
                                        M.Kvalvik 80'

Viking win 4-2 on aggregate

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC	0 - 0	Halmias Spelarfruar

Halmias Spelarfruar	1 - 0	Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                                        Blomdahl 100'		A.E.T.

Spelarfruar win 1-0 on aggregate

Menywod Maeshafn	1 - 2	Ambush Ladies FC
                                        Westerberg 70'			Nakamura 14'
                                        Pacheco 36'

Ambush Ladies FC	2 - 1	Menywod Maeshafn
                                        Brienza 21'			Westerberg 66'
                                        Pacheco 73'

Ambush win 4-2 on aggregate

Odenplan Rovers		1 - 1	Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                                        Backemo 17'			van Sttenberghe 44'

Coxy Ladies Wulpen	0 - 0	Odenplan Rovers

1-1 on aggregate. Wulpen win on away goals

Solent Sirens		0 - 2	Cutty Sark Crew
                                        Fish 68'
                                        Grybe 70'

Cutty Sark Crew		3 - 0	Solent Sirens
                                        Farrell 49'			Högardh (sent off) 87'
                                        Grybe 71'
                                        Milovanevic 84'

Cutty Sark win 5-0 on aggregate

Traktorista Hohenebra	0 - 2	Drakaina
                                        Barry 80'
                                        Winter 88'

Drakaina		2 - 1	Traktorista Hohenebra
                                        Mourne 8'			Schiessl 40'
                                        Winter 89'

Drakaina win 4-1 on aggregate

Witches of Chiswick	1 - 1	Mata Sati
                                        Peters 87'			Yttergren 45'

Mata Sati		0 - 0	Witches of Chiswick

1-1 on aggregate. Mata Sati win on away goals
                                        Can you beat someone from two tiers up was the question asked of Csiki Girls as they took on Division 4 outfit FC Barlingbo.
                                        Ad Hoc’s team took to the challenge in the opening leg, matching, indeed more than matching their opponents chance-for-chance. The Csiki did fall behind in the opening half when Barlingbo found the target from distance, but they kept going and deserved Ann-Sofie Carlberg’s 80th minute leveller.
                                        Would The Csiki’s be able to keep up the good play in the second leg? And would they get the goal they needed to overturn Barlingbo’s slender advantage. The answer to the first was yes, as once again it was an open, knife-edge game. Clarification on the second part came early in the second half; first Saoirse McInns had the ball in the Barlingbo net, only for referee Justin Thyme to rule it out. Then, eight minutes later, he allowed a home strike to stand. For shame!
                                        Csiki Girls pushed and pushed to take the tie to extra-time, but couldn’t put any of their three second-half chances past the home ‘keeper, who was having a grade 17 day. It meant elimination at the third round stage, but hardly a disgrace as there was a cigarette paper only to chose between them and a side much further up the pyramid.

The Cup has been a welcome relief for Dublin City Womens FC so far this season. Would it continue to be so against fellow sixth-tier side The Mass WFC?
                                        The opening half of the home leg was hopeful as Mortal Joe’s girls had both the chances going, although these were not converted and Mass had shaded possession. Then the sucker punch, seven minutes after the break, as the visitors scored a direct free-kick. However Dublin were not downhearted, and kept creating opportunities which lead to Erin Thompson heading a 75th minute equaliser. It was a first career goal for Thompson, who is a 19 year-old midfielder.
                                        Hope was still alive therefore going into the second leg, though Dublin did need to score as Mass had an away goals advantage. And also not conceded, can’t forget that aspect. Unfortunately both elements went wrong within seconds of each other. First Dublin thought they had the away goal they needed when Veronica Kåmark ‘struck’ on 11 minutes, only to see it chalked off by referee Irre Levant. And then, two minutes later, Mass had the ball in the goal and saw it counted.
                                        This proved a set-back too far for Dublin, who threatened little in the rest of the second leg, though it took until a penalty was awarded and converted in the 75th minute for the hosts to feel safe.
                                        So Dublin go out at the third round stage. Hopefully they can recreate elements of their cup performance in the league.

For some reason my last Cup report claimed Viking South Utsira would be playing fellow Division 3d side Hammer Throwers in Round 3. This wasn’t true. In fact The Blood Eagles opponents were BW Günthersdorf of Division 6:23.
                                        And Günthersdorf proved to be an unexpectedly hard nut to crack. In the opening leg in Sweden they closed the game down, allowing VSU just one unconverted chance in the 90 minutes. The hosts had two attempts of their own, also unsuccessful. The return off the Norwegian coast would prove a completely different story, with shots raining in at both ends. The Blood Eagles were the first to strike, the ever reliable Lurdes Quental back on direct free-kick duties and showing she has still got it.
                                        Goal number two arrived soon after half-time from another free-kick, Quental this time teeing up Asta Austrheim for the strike. However VSU’s lead wouldn’t stay comfortable for long, as four minutes later Günthersdorf pulled themselves back within one on aggregate, which would have also been an away goals lead if they had achieved it. Clearly Velvet Android’s side needed another goal. A direct free-kick on 65 minutes provided it, Quental again delivering.
                                        Had this put the game to bed? No, because nine minutes later Günthersdorf once again clawed their way back to within a goal of progression. So Viking had to up it one more time, which they did successfully, going 4-2 up in the 80th minute. The scorer of this long range blaster was yet another scion from one of the great local footballing dynasties, Marte Kvalvik. It was her first professional goal.
                                        Viking’s reward is a R4 match against Hippy Chicks of Division 4i, who are old league foes of Coxy Ladies Wulpen.

Despite Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC operating a step higher than opponents Halmias Spelarfruar this was a difficult to call match, what with The Sea Goddesses struggling in the league and Spelarfruar top of their section in Division 5.
                                        The opening game took place at Merapi-Kraton-South Sea, and it was the visitors who looked marginally the stronger side, shading both possession and chances. The match, however, finished goalless. But not injury-less, as Kanjeng’s Adèle Pailloux was helped from the field in the opening half with a 6-day knock.
                                        Pailloux was fit for the return, but didn’t make the trip halfway around the globe as she convalesced. Her teammates put in a good performance in the opening half, creating three scoring opportunities, but without reward. The second period was tense, with both sides knowing a goal would make a big difference, though one for the visitors would have been more decisive with the away goal element. However none was forthcoming as the tie went to extra-time after 180 goalless minutes.
                                        Another 15 passed by with the aggregate still at nil-nil, but then, finally, there was a breakthrough with 110 on the clock. Problem was, it came for Spelarfruar. Time was limited for SeanoftheShed’s side to do anything about this, but it looked like they had when Tia Farisy fired home on 116. However the Sea Spirit fans cheers died in their throats as they noticed referee Will Taykabribe shaking his head. That proved the final blow, as Kanjeng exited the competition and will have to win the Cup in another season.

Menywod Maeshafn were playing up a Division as they took on Ambush Ladies FC.
                                        Maeshafn played host for the first match, and suffered a couple of early blows when they fell 1-0 behind after 14 minutes and then lost key midfield creator Monalisa Corleone to an 8-day knock just before the half-hour.
                                        Ambush added a second before the interval, the two goals come from their only tow first half shots, and then spent the second-half raining attempts to no avail at Hannele Sundvall’s goal, eight in the 45 minutes to make it ten in total for the game. Indeed the only other strike was one back for IsThatcherDeadYet’s side, completely against the run of play, Ada Westerberg bursting clear to slot home with 20 minutes to play.
                                        Even so, Maeshafn were still faced with the daunting second leg task of scoring at least twice, as even a 1-0 win would equate to an away goals defeat. Ambush opening the scoring on 21 minutes did little to alter the balance of the tie, as all that meant was the Welsh still needed two to avoid defeat, but now that would only force a stay of execution with extra-time. This had looked a remote possibility during the opening half, but was becoming more realistic by the second as the match progressed, Maeshafn created chances and then moved to within one of their target when Westerberg headed home.
                                        There was still just over half the second half to play at this point. One goal needed. And one goal arrived on 73 minutes... for Ambush. That finally proved decisive, though Maeshafn can be proud of how close they made it given how much of a battering they could easily have taken in the opening leg.

Coxy Ladies Wulpen’s Round 3 opponents were an Odenplan Rovers from the tier below The Waders, but leaders of their section in that.
                                        An evenly matched tie then, as a cautious first leg indicated. Odenplan struck first, on 17 minutes but Wulpen responded just before the interval through Eva van Sttenberghe’s headed effort. Those two goals came from the only attempts of the opening half, and after the interval there was just one more shot, from the visitors, unsuccessful.
                                        The return leg was if anything even more cagey. Holding an away goal advantage, Coxy Ladies boss Janik opted to send his side out in cautious mode, only to find his opposite number had gone for a very defensive set. This lead to limited pressure on the Waders goal, though there was one brief moment of fear followed by relief when an Odenplan shot on the half-hour found the target as the linesman raised her flag.
                                        The second half was all Wulpen, in the sense that The Waders were the only team to attempt a shot. But not that many of them. Pretty tense, but come the final whistle that first leg away goal had proved enough to send Coxy Ladies through to a Round 4 meeting with As Xiripitias, who operate in Division 4k but are also the overall seventh seeds for the competition following a run to last season’s Quarter-Finals.

There was rather a nautical to Solent Sirens tie with Cutty Sark Crew. With the Crew operating in the rarefied air of Division 1, a potential keelhauling looked in store for The Sirens.
                                        The first match at Mayfield Park saw The Sirens essentially attempting to defend their harbour as Cutty Sark launched raid after raid. Andrew7610’s side held out for three-quarters of the game, up until the visitors took the lead. The scorer, appropriately enough, was Dierdre Fish. A couple of minutes later Fish had laid it on a plate for a teammate to make it two, with a third Cutty Sark goal late on ruled against the law of the sea.
                                        The return leg took place at the Stadium of the Seven Seas, with Solent simply looking to avoid being blown out of the water. Once again they held on for a good long while, but the superiority of Cutty Sark showed in the end with three second-half strikes. The third of these annoyed The Sirens Evelyn Högardh so much that she took revenge on the scorer three minutes later, which was unwise seeing as Högardh had already been booked. But then Högardh is a feisty character; this was just the 24th match of her young career, and it was already the third red card she has been shown. Her ban will long by the time Solent next get to play a cup tie.

Standing in Drakaina’s path to the fourth round were Division 5 side Traktorista Hohenebra.
                                        The first leg took place at the Stadion am Sumpfbach, Germany and the first half belonged to the hosts as they held 55% possession and made two chances to The Dragons zip. However there was no score from those, and things turned around rather at the interval with Drakaina coming out the stronger for the second stanza. This time it was Etienne’s side holding 55% of the ball, and creating the majority of the chances. However they also went scoreless, until the 80th minute that is when Susanna Barry got her head to a cross.
                                        Grace Winter added a second two minutes from the end of normal time, to give The Dragons a 2-0 advantage from the opening away leg, which was both likely decisive and rather harsh on Traktorista, who had contributed nearly evenly to the first match.
                                        A good advantage gained in slightly fortunate fashion will encourage sitting on the lead in many cases. Not Drakaina’s though, as a third header of the tie from Fionulla Mourne extended the gap to three goals just 8 minutes into the return leg at Delphi.
                                        Hohenebra finally got a deserved goal five minutes before the interval, but by then the Greeks were closing up shop and doing so pretty effectively; Traktorista, needing two goals, registered just one shot after the interval. There was even a winning goal on the night for The Dragons, Winter providing it on 89 minutes with, yup you’ve guessed it, her head.
                                        Winter’s late goal kept Drakaina’s recent winning run going – they are now up to seven victories in a row in league and cup. Assuming they can make it eight straight with a win in the league on Tuesday, then their opponents as they look to make it 9 will be The Black Widows from Division 4j, which is Kanjeng Ratu Kidul and Witches of Chiswick’s neck of the woods.

Speaking of whom, Witches of Chiswick put league tribulations aside for two days as they did battle with Mata Sati of Division 6.
                                        Despite The Bewitched operating two steps further up the pyramid, Mata Sati were the higher seeds (based on their past Cup exploits) and so the opening leg took place at Field Lane. It was more like field dressing lane in the opening half as the match bore a greater resemblance to a battle than any game of Football, with four yellow cards shown and two major injuries inflicted, one per side. The Chiswick player hurt was Tamika Yamazaki, the knock putting her out of action for 8 days.
                                        Seconds prior to the interval Mata Sati did manage to land a legal blow with a close range shot. Clearly the visitors were benefitting from the chaos, Bewitched manager Wiblflibl imploring his team to calm down, not react and play. They responded with a much improved second-half display that culminated in a deserved equaliser scored by Tasha Peters with three minutes remaining.
                                        Even with Peters late goal, there was still work to do for The Bewitched in the return leg; at a minimum they needed a goal. They pushed and pushed for it, holding 59% possession in the opening half and 57% overall, and making three opportunities across the 90 minutes. However each one came... and went. The score remained nil-nil, which meant Chiswick’s cup run ended on the galling note of away goals.

Round 4 draw - one match at the Xpert Arena from now on
                                        Code:
                                        As Xiripitias (4k)		vs	Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                                        The Black Widows (4j)		vs	Drakaina
                                        Viking South Utsira		vs	Hippy Chicks (4i)

Comment

Cor, that one was quick out of the blocks Janik, nice one! I was watching your 'live' score nervously, conscious that only away goals were keeping you in it, so was delighted to see the Waders get over the line. Shame it went the other way for the Witches, and that it's only the two of us and Drakaina who managed to get through to the fourth round.

Hadn't picked up on that mistake in your earlier report, where you presumably noted my next league opponents Hammer Throwers erroneously as my cup opponents. They would scarcely have provided a stiffer test, as it turned out – Günthersdorf were very strong for a Division 6 side, in fact their strikeforce registered a 17 rating (!) for yesterday's game so it's no wonder there were goals both ends. I think they played Defensively at home for the first leg, hence the scoreless draw there, but I suppose they figured we were ripe for the taking in the return so went for it a bit with a 4-3-3 formation that eventually gave us the opportunity to pick them off on the counter. I'd overlooked before that Quental provided a third goal from an indirect freekick as well as her two direct strikes, so putting her back in charge of the dead ball seems to be have been even better a choice than I thought. It's great to have that sort of competition in the team – oh, what most of my other sides could do with having the same...

Hadn't seen the Round 4 draw, so interesting to learn we've all drawn D4 sides and that VSU have one I know of, Hippy Chicks. Will have to go and see how we stack up now.

Comment

"Scenes" in Golden League Division 4d where Lincolnshire Curly Coats have won a play-off spot on goals scored, in the dying moments of the final match. Not sure I've ever seen anyone's X11 side gain (or lose) something as significant on the third measure (after points and GD). Feel sorry for Landvetter.

Comment

I had two key promotion matches yesterday and lost them both. Angmering Park dropped into the playoffs in the Golden League and Swanbourne dropped out of the top two with one game to go in the Cosmopolitan League and could even still be relegated on the final day. AA-S lost too for a Sunday Clean Sweep.

Comment

This stupid game has really gotten on my tits this last few days. Just in today's matches:

- 3 injuries
                                                - 1 missed penalty
                                                - 1 disallowed goal

Worst of all, Hambledon had a windfall of 1.4m econs this morning via a financial event but saw 1.3m of it wiped out by training after today's game. I went from thinking we're finally getting to a point where I can see a transfer budget at the end of the season and then back to square one again. In reality it's probably saved our financial bacon given today's result, but it certainly doesn't feel like it.

Combined record for June so far is a shockingly bad:
                                                P16 W3 D3 L10 (one friendly)

Comment

Prior to todays game at the Yeni Hach Kapisi Stadi, the two sides records read:
                                                  Zeugmaspor - played two, scored none, conceded none
                                                  Banik - played two, scored one, conceded none

I'll leave you to guess how things one panned out.

Comment

Hideous had conceded one goal in the last five games, but managed to ship three in twelve minutes at the Monkeys this evening. It was a little bit galling to watch three goals fly past Camilo Barreto so quickly, given that we haven't scored three in a whole game for more than two seasons.

On a positive note, we became the first team to create a chance against the Monkeys all season. Yay! We missed it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X