Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's keep it as this for the next tournament. It's easier to understand for the moment. I having a hard time keeping up with the games without the league placings.

Personally, I would rather play as many people as possible as well.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Well done. I think me and Matej may be heading for another one.
      And it was. I wasn't certain how to trigger the threefold repetition through the app, but I guess it was obvious enough what I intended.

Comment

What's the longest game so far? Etienne and I are on move 49 of our game, and I still couldn't tell you who's going to win (or whether anyone will)

Comment

Irony Towers beat EEG in 64 moves, and Matej beat smallcaps in 63.

Comment

Smallcaps and I had one that went to a pawn only endgame - 63 turns.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Yes, really enjoying it too, have had some really tight games.

Is an all play all simultaneous the only tournament structure we can use? Swiss system is obviously the best, but might not be possible given the different lengths of games.
              I couldn't find an option for a Swiss system. There was an option for a CL-style thingy, which might be good if we do indeed find twelve participants, but I personally would prefer the current form.

Comment

A last minute decision means my family and I are heading off for a short break tomorrow morning until Friday evening. I think I should be able to just about not be timed out, but I do apologise for the glitch this is going to put into the tournament as a whole, and the length of time it will leave between moves in my individual games. This is also why I have not played for a few hours in the games that started today (I felt that was fairer on my opponents to leave the games in their openings.)

Comment

Two checkmates in a minute (against me, obviously)

Comment

Well, first, enjoy your trip ad hoc.

But on the chess thing, if you can just reply to my 1. d4 first move, then I can leave it a few days before making my move 2, which would take some time pressure off you there.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Yeah, if you can open our second game then I can let my move timer run down a few days as well. Have a great break.

Comment

Yeah, good point, Kev. Make your moves as late as possible and we will leave ours as late as possible. That should mean you have got about 10 days' grace.

Could you make sure you make a very hurried decision as well. Don't think about anything too much, you should make getting ready for your holiday a priority.

Comment

Has anyone tried the analysis yet? Just got one back for one game and can't make head nor tail of it.

Comment

Yes, I have. Basically look for mistakes and blunders by either side and figure out why.

Comment

So, the ironytowers juggernaut rolls on! 13 out of 13 so far.

Comment

Ok, all games played. See you all on the other side

Comment

Does the conditional move thing mean that your next move gets made when your opponent does what you expect? I've experimented with it in my game against Bored, to see if it works that way

Comment

Oops, sorry ad hoc - I just went on, made all the moves that were waiting to be made in my games, and then came here and saw that. If I'd checked in here beforehand I'd have left our game a few days as well...

Comment

Argh! I just blundered into a cunning Etienne trap. Well played, sir!

Comment

ad hoc wrote: Does the conditional move thing mean that your next move gets made when your opponent does what you expect? I've experimented with it in my game against Bored, to see if it works that way
                                          What sort of sorcery is this?

Comment

smallcaps, I've just seen an automated e-mail in my Hotmail inbox saying you'd offered a draw.

I didn't see that until after I'd made another move, I think, which I assume will have resulted in an automatic termination of the offer. But I would have rejected it anyway {edit - sorry, I mean "declined" it). Rightly or wrongly, I'd rather explore the possibility of winning!

Comment

Understandable, given that if you and Matej both win all your remaining games, you'll beat him into second place by half a point.

Comment

That's arithmetically true, but I ought to make it clear that my declining the draw offer from smallcaps is because I'm a pawn up and not because I'm arrogantly expecting to win all my remaining games (not least my further game to come against smallcaps)!

Comment

Nothing to do with arrogance, but just that you're more likely to fight for ever half point when the margins are so tight.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: smallcaps, I've just seen an automated e-mail in my Hotmail inbox saying you'd offered a draw.
                                                    There are email notifications on chess.com? I've learned something today.

I didn't see that until after I'd made another move, I think, which I assume will have resulted in an automatic termination of the offer. But I would have rejected it anyway {edit - sorry, I mean "declined" it). Rightly or wrongly, I'd rather explore the possibility of winning!
                                                    Explore away! I have no objections against either of us trying to goad one another into blundering. However, since the pawn you have left is a rook pawn, theoretically the game is a draw if both play optimally, although in practice it may be difficult to achieve the draw if my king is unable to help (as is the case).

edit: especially with your king in front of the pawn you're trying to promote, things become difficult. Regardless, I think I can keep your king in check all the time anyway. I just have to watch out to not do this in a place where you can defend with your queen while also checking my king, which would force a queen exchange followed by unhindered promotion. But I think I can avoid that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X