Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... you probably still will. Not feeling content with a decent position against smallcaps... I managed to throw away a pawn and a knight, and now we have a standoff, with him at a big advantage.

Comment

That was an entertaining game, Etienne, thank you. You posed me plenty of problems in the opening.

Pity about Bored seemingly missing in (in)action.

Comment

Yes, that's a lot of time defaults by Bored, before making his first moves. 9 matches so far, a 10th (v Sam) to follow overnight unless he suddenly turns up.

I struggled on to the bitter end vs IT because I wanted to see how high I could push the move count. 80 moves each, quite proud of that! If I'd played with a Bored/Rogin response speed I could have strung it out until May 2017 even with the new 3 day time limit!

Comment

Plenty of interest in those 80 moves; thanks for the game, EEG.

Is the triple promotion of Knight, Queen and Rook the equivalent of the perfect hat-trick?

Comment

ha, good point! You should get a bonus point for those 3 promotions, like they get in the rugby world cup for scoring a certain number of tries.

Comment

Hope Bored's OK. No posting from him on this board since Wednesday evening, to add to his failure to turn up for the chess.

Comment

He appears to have shared stuff on facebook both yesterday and today

Comment

harrumph.

First rule of Chess Club is you don't skive off Chess Club.

Comment

Sorry, guys. Had the week from hell - way too involved to go into on here - and also haven't been able to log into here nor Chess.com from my phone as my son logged out of my Facebook on there and I can't remember the password.

Life doesn't look like it is going to get easier over the next week or so, to be fair to you lot, I suggest that I let all my games time out and come back for OTF 7

Comment

Sounds like a sensible plan to me. Hope things get easier for you soon.

Comment

That was the mother of all white-knuckle games with border; though I say it myself, well worth a look. My 19th move ...Bf5 was - and needed to be - the best I've ever made.

Comment

Yes, that's a very entertaining match.

Comment

There was still hope there wasn't there Kev?

Comment

Possibly, but I'm not playing very well!

Comment

I'm not playing very well
                                Errm, my reaction to that comment is similar to the umbrage taken by some during the first OTF tournament at Matt's original choice of chess.com handle.

Comment

I can only assume that this "not playing very well" started since he demolished me in our first game too.

Comment

Well it did, tbh, as I've lost pieces in my games with you, Sam, Levin and matt.

Comment

Apologies for slow play in OTF 6. I was going to give the excuse that i was in Mogadishu under heavy security (which was sort of true), but I had good quality WiFi and the truth is that I'm playing abysmally and had to slow down to think. It's already too late in most games.

Comment

Well that wins the thread for the most street-cred excuse for slow play. Hope you're safe enough that you'll forgive a lame joke about your wanting to avoid a "Black Rook Down" scenario.

Comment

OK, Kev, I agree that you are at least making the occasional mistake! [insert smiley]

Comment

That loud bang you all just heard was the shockwave from me beating Alex for the first time ever.

Comment

Congratulations Sam, great win! I think that must have shocked Alex quite badly, as very shortly after that he offered me a draw in surprising circumstances. I practically bit his hand off.

Comment

Well done, Sam. I don't think I'd have had the persistence to keep playing someone who had beaten me so often, so glad you got your reward.

Comment

Thanks folks. It was Alex (and the coincidental timing of this thread beginning at around the same time) who got me into chess, and he's one of my best mates so it seems only polite...

Meanwhile I see EEG is about the fall right into my carefully laid trap... *buries face in hands*

Comment

Astonishingly, EEG managed to beat me from the above position. Well done, EEG (and Kev).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X