Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed to get a series of 3 conditional moves auto-completed vs Bored last night (so his visit took the game forward 4 moves instead of just the one). I've now programmed in 11 different CM lines, some of them several moves long (including lots of forced moves). Unless I've missed something, I'll either get at least one conditional move completed on his next visit or else have mate in one after it, as I think every possible move of his that I haven't covered in a CM line would allow me to mate next move. The least progress would be one move he could make which just delays the inevitable but has too many different scenarios re his second move for me to programme CM lines for.

Comment

Just got my first checkmate of the tournament to claim my second win, against the player who beat me a couple of days ago. I'm pretty pleased with that, especially as the last three moves were forced so I was able to set the conditional moves up, go to the pub and come back to find I'd won.

I'm now top of my group in the under 1100 tournament, albeit having only completed three matches.

Comment

I now have 27 different lines of conditional moves entered in my match vs Bored.

Comment

Excellent work EEG; are these going to lead to mate?

Comment

Most but not quite all, Kev. Also, beyond the first move some of them don't cover every possible response by Bored.

I think I could probably programme in a comprehensive set of move sequences to mate from where we are now, but at a rough guess I'd need to raise the number of "lines" from 27 to around 50 to 70 to cover all the random moves Bored could make when he's not in check.

I may yet do that today if I still have time, I am so desperate to get this damn match over with before I go abroad tomorrow.

[edit: no, actually I reckon it'd be possibly around 200 lines. Hours of input time. Not do-able given time constraints today.

So if Bored manages to avoid one of the pre-programmed lines ending in mate, I'm afraid this match could have a few weeks left in it yet. Thee could be as many as 8 or 9 moves each left if Bored keeps playing the maximally game-extending move, and I'm going to be making just one move every 3 to 5 days when I'm abroad over the next month.]

Comment

I think I will count that as gamesmanship. That completely affected my play knowing that you felt you had pretty much all options covered before I had made a move. I would have probably won it if you hadn't done that.

...or, perhaps, not.

Comment

Hallelujah, game over, I'm very glad you paid the site a visit tonight Bored! Auto-completed sequence of 4 conditional moves (i.e. 4 moves each). Now I can go away without stressing about mobile data roaming.

It's a rather aesthetic and unusual checkmate position with the king prevented from moving away from the attacking queen by a wall of enemy pawns.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, whatever, you nerds need to get out more. I have been in France drinking and eating red meat for a month.

..or something.

Anyway, just need to despatch Levin and onto OTF5 where I become champion with no pesky football to distract me.

Comment

Ok, maybe not Levin but Sam.

Comment

Might've wanted to give your King an escape square before making a threat like that, Bored. Still, after the discussion upthread of the Fried Liver I'm delighted to have made a checkmate with it (sort of anyway - the actual Fried Liver involves sacrificing the Knight, not the Bishop).

Comment

Ha ha, congratulations, although that was the stupidest loss ever - even in my extensive series of stupid losses. Still the end of OTF4 where, it has to said, I have not been at my most focused. Onto OTF5

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: Still the end of OTF4 [...]. Onto OTF5
                          Wahey! That's my time to shine!

I'll set up the next one tomorrow.

Comment

I've not been awarded a silver medal. Is this because the tournament is smaller? :-(

Comment

Kevchenkeau wrote: I've not been awarded a silver medal. Is this because the tournament is smaller? :-(
                              Perhaps. I had no idea either! Missing out on an expanded bronze collection. :-( indeed...

Comment

My mate (border123) would like to be involved again in OTF5, if that's all right Wouter.

Comment

OTF Chess #5 has been generated, and invites have been sent out to everybody but EEG, who said that he wouldn't have time until August. Let me know if you would like to receive in invite, but haven't had one yet.

Comment

Yes! Win number four in the Under 1100 tournament will be arriving shortly (my opponent only has one move they can make and when they do, it'll trigger a conditional move which is checkmate). And following a Bishop sacrifice early on to tear their pawn protection apart after they'd castled, too. I'm dead pleased with this one, even though the last couple of moves have come after they'd forgotten about the threat and moved their Knight so it was no longer protecting the crucial square.

Comment

Yes, it's moves like that which provide an inordinate amount of pleasure.

Tooting my own horn a little, I was delighted in my friendly against Sam to sacrifice a bishop which cleared a path between a rook and Sams queen.

Comment

Wouter D wrote: OTF Chess #5 has been generated
                                        We currently have eight participants, which is more than enought to have a nice tournament, but it also leaves four spots for potential takers. Is anyone else interested in participating? I'll start the tournament this afternoon/evening.

Comment

Wouter D wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Wouter D
                                          OTF Chess #5 has been generated
                                          We currently have eight participants, which is more than enought to have a nice tournament, but it also leaves four spots for potential takers. Is anyone else interested in participating? I'll start the tournament this afternoon/evening.
                                          Bloody hell, I had best learn how to play then.

Comment

Levin, your flag/location is down as "International" for some reason, like some globetrotting superstar.

I mention this as I found in the app you can change from United Kingdom to the flags of the individual parts, should anyone be hankering after a red dragon instead of a UJ, for example.

Comment

Wouter D wrote:
                                              Did you see my post above saying my mate wants in again, Wouter? I can't see him on the current participants list.

Comment

Sam wrote: Did you see my post above saying my mate wants in again, Wouter? I can't see him on the current participants list.
                                                I had sent him an invite, and he has apparently accepted, because he is in the participants list now.

Will proceed to flip the switch...

*ka-chunk*

...and we're off! Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Comment

Just won a blitz game, where I've possibly been the most ever down on pieces.

My opponent actually lost on time, but had they played on, NxR, QxN+, K-b1, Q-b2 would be mate, at which point I would have a queen and three pawns, versus a queen, two rooks, a bishop, a knight and 3 pawns. https://live.chess.com/live?v=2016061601#g=1654079539

(They could escape mate if they don't take the rook)

Don't look at the rest of the game, I was dreadful.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                                    Bloody hell, I had best learn how to play then.
                                                    Just to let you know, VT, you need to make a move of some sort in all your games at some point in the next day and a half or so after you see this (right now you've got 41 hours), or you'll lose all your 'first leg' matches on time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X