No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish bloke finally agreed a draw, after we were reduced to a king and a rook each

Comment

Just got taken apart by VT who was a piece down on me. Not as bad as that time in an early tournament when Sam checkmated me while 3 pieces down on me, but still a pretty painful reminder that pieces in the wrong places on the board don't count for shit when your king is vulnerable. When I'm smarting a bit less I'll go through the analysis to see at what point I went wrong.

Comment

It was your pawn to g6, which set it all off. But if you hadn't taken immediately with the f pawn, you would have been fine, I think.

Comment

post edited as i was talking bollocks

Comment

Well, still some positions to play for, but 1st place has been out of sight for some time already. Congrats to Etienne on the clean sweep!

Comment

Thank you. I was quite happy with the lack of tension.

Comment

Crikey, just ran the analysis on the match I just won against Bored, and had my attention drawn by it to the fact that I blundered away my queen (moving it into a square attacked by one of Bored's pawns) two moves before the end. Fortunately for me, Bored didn't spot that either, but it could have made things interesting, I'm comforted to know that I'm in good company in this tournament for giving queens away.

Comment

Did you run analysis on our second game? Because I thought your resignation was a bit precipitate - P-h6 would have just left you down a pawn I think.

Comment

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I should have played on.

Comment

Holiday was great. You should all visit north-western Argentina at the earliest possible opportunity.

Comment

Oh FFS. Just missed the chance to take VT's pawn e.p. and spotted it about five nanoseconds after I'd cilcked on the tick. Must. not. play. in. a. rush. Sam, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Comment

The new layout I get today for the personalised "Home" page on chess.com sucks! The boards are fewer and smaller, lots of space dedicated to stuff I'm not interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            Oh FFS. Just missed the chance to take VT's pawn e.p. and spotted it about five nanoseconds after I'd cilcked on the tick. Must. not. play. in. a. rush. Sam, glad you enjoyed your trip.
                            I didn't notice that either, obvs

Comment

Crikey, just ran the analysis on the match I just won against Bored, and had my attention drawn by it to the fact that I blundered away my queen (moving it into a square attacked by one of Bored's pawns) two moves before the end. Fortunately for me, Bored didn't spot that either, but it could have made things interesting, I'm comforted to know that I'm in good company in this tournament for giving queens away.
                              Fucking hell, my only chance at all this tournament and I missed it.

Comment

The new layout I get today for the personalised "Home" page on chess.com sucks! The boards are fewer and smaller, lots of space dedicated to stuff I'm not interested in.
                                You know it's personalisable, right? If you go to Settings > Home > Home Settings, you can pick and choose which bits show up where.

Comment

Thanks Sam! (I didn't know that.)

Comment

PM for Wouter

Comment

Magnus Carlsen was briefly a double world champion of sorts, after topping the Fantasy Premier League table overnight.

Comment

PM for Wouter
                                        Thank you! Answered.

Just went through the flag in two games. That'll teach me to postpone reacting to a chess move until I've come up with a plan, only to disappear to a party for a decent chunk of the weekend. Oh well. No point in crying over spilled milk.

Comment

Well, the chess.com analysis had me around 5 points up when the clock ran so I was favourite in that match if that's any consolation Wouter. Glad to hear it was a party that distracted you!

Edit: amazing re Magnus Carlson btw.
                                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 16-12-2019, 20:48.

Comment

Nice promotion-to-knight mate by VT vs Sam just now!

Comment

Yes indeed. Well done, VT!

Comment

It's the way the program works - I put you in check first with a queen promotion, and then was able to test other computations. When the knight promotion went in, it showed mate, so I left it there.

That was a really enjoyable tournament for me, by the way. I had a lot of travel - Gambia, Lesotho and Egypt - during the tournament, so I was often erratic, but it was good for my mental health and something to look forward to after travel and work.

Comment

After the last couple of tournaments have been very even with lots of upsets, this one has been the opposite. I won every game, VT was unbeaten against everyone other than me, EEG is surely going to finish with a 100% record against everyone apart from me and VT. It's only after that where players have been difficult to separate.

Comment

That struck me too Etienne. Mind you, your comment that "EEG is surely going to finish with a 100% record against everyone apart from me and VT" is one I'm only just ready to endorse, after some trade offs to simplify the position. Sam was causing me all sorts of worry and trouble despite his being two pieces down, to the point where I blundered away one of my advantage pieces. I think even I can manage to force a win from where I am now though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X