Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    I don;t think it is clarity. Simplicity maybe, but not clarity
    I agree that it's not a clear term at all. If you say medicine I assume you mean either the broad science of treating and preventing diseases at a fairly vague and mostly theoretical/academic level, or drugs. So I would have guessed telemedicine to be some kind of device/technology for administering medication remotely. Nobody thinks of a GP appointment as "medicine"

If what we're talking about is telemedical care (and it sounds like it is), then it would be much clearer to call it that but by that point you might as well say remote medical care/online medical care

Comment

Is there a word for that?

Comment

You know, it's one thing to make a little box that brings the talking pictures into your home, but did they _have_ to invent a new word for it? And why focus on the visual part of the talking pictures and not the aural part? It's as much a teleradio as a television. No, no, this will not do at all. We shall keep calling it the talking picture box in our household.

Comment

The best part is reading this whole thread and still having no idea what the words were in the Strands game.
          Last edited by caja-dglh; 25-03-2024, 22:00. Reason: Wrong game

Comment

Nope, it was Connections.

Comment

Big (and wrong) crossover between today's connections and another recent thread on here. I'd protest if I could be bothered and if thought anyone would care

Comment

Whenever I get the theme word on Strands it flashes up SPANGRAM which gives me massive "THAT'S NUMBERWANG!" vibes.

Comment

Big (and wrong) crossover between today's connections and another recent thread on here. I'd protest if I could be bothered and if thought anyone would care
                  Hah. I thought the same. I got that answer last as I couldn’t figure the commonality.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Hah. I thought the same. I got that answer last as I couldn’t figure the commonality.
                    Me too.

Comment

Me three. I'd been looking for overlong movies, realised I had 5 in one of the other groups, and finally got the first three categories and selected them leaving a totally random (and wrong) group for the fourth.

Incidentally, yesterday's Strands "Spangram" was a two-worder which felt very wrong. Was I the only one bothered?

Comment

that annoyed me

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          I'd been looking for overlong movies
                          Heh, poor old Martin Scorcese (I mean, you're not wrong)

Comment

Comment

Well, today’s was just bullshit.

Comment

We managed to get it exclusively using hints. Had not heard of the spangram

Comment

I gave up on it. One cliche too many.

Comment

That wasn't in it

Comment

Connections was a right bollocks today as well. Even with the answer and the connections I still have no idea of two of them

​​​

Comment

Unusually I didn't have any problem with either of them today. Chapeau, the New York Times! you might say. What are people's gripes?

I did try for too long to fit FRITES in the top right corner for some reason. Probably thought I was playing 'Pardon my Belgian'

Comment

Also the W was very helpful for finding the spangram quickly, what with basically not existing in French

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            Unusually I didn't have any problem with either of them today. Chapeau, the New York Times! you might say. What are people's gripes?

I did try for too long to fit FRITES in the top right corner for some reason. Probably thought I was playing 'Pardon my Belgian'
                                            Assuming that by now most people have done them, my issue with connections was

Spoiler alert
                                            ​​​​​​.
                                            ​​​​​​.

​​​​​​.
                                            ​​​​​​.

After I got the first two groups fairly quickly It was clear to me that one of the categories left was blue and one was Disney characters. But after that it was a lottery. I've never heard of Tiffany blue (and I even went through the Wikipedia page on different shades of blue which has loads of obscure ones) and what Disney character is called Happy? I know the other 3,but happy?

Edit : oh it's one of the dwarves!

Comment

Must be a New York thing

https://www.tiffany.com/world-of-tif...lue-box-story/

Comment

I've never heard of Tiffany blue
                                                ​Ha, such a bloke! And I'm not in their target market

Comment

SPOILERS:

Connections:

I got the group containing Happy early. The other group you complain about, I had the same problem as you and only got there by a process of elimination. I'd never heard of the term before. And even then I couldn't work out the connection on the purples until it told me.

Strands:

I knew from the clue on Strands what kinds of words I was looking for, and also knew the W was an outlier, but my brain just couldn't find anything other than the non-existent Frites and Salon for the longest time.

Apart from the Spangram being another annoying 2-worder, my problems with Strands today were my own slowness rather than the puzzle itself.

Comment

I think technically the spangram is one word

Comment

Working...
                                                    X