X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games you hate

Interesting stuff GY.

I like those board games:

Through the Desert - a game of strategy where you have to control territories and block others with little caravans.

Ticket to Ride - some common elements, you have to build a rail network and block others. Another good german board game

This is a good game where you negotiate deals based on your cards

I'm somewhat addicted to an online version of Risk called Conquer Club, which takes the basic Risk framework and adds many elements to it, including gameplay and dozens of complex maps, a couple of examples:

Comment

Games you hate

Trivial Pursuit. Christ. How fucking tedious is that?

Comment

Games you hate

Conkers. Crap.

Comment

Games you hate

Ginger Yellow wrote: Obviously it helps if you're a fan of the show, but even if you're not, Battlestar Galactica is one of the best cooperative games around.
          Me, first play. Good game though.

Comment

Games you hate

Guess Who. It's totally face-ist. My biological father had a 'tache, too, which made it a bitter experience when my mum played: "is it that worthless, run-down, no good, piece of sh1t with the tache?" "erm, how about Kerplunk?"

Comment

Games you hate

Rummikub.

I don't know what the game's like, I just hate the name.

Comment

Games you hate

Spoof.

Comment

Games you hate

The Great Game of Britain at least offered a modicum of geography education ("go at once to Stornoway" etc) though there was little to take from The Dads Army Game which seemed to consist almost exclusively of me getting Hodged.

Comment

Games you hate

If Rubik's Cube can be cunted as a game, add that bastard.

(I missed a letter in "counted", but I'll let it remain)

Comment

Games you hate

I can't believe no one has mentioned I spy with my little eye yet.

Rampant tedium.

Comment

Games you hate

Diplomacy is brilliant, if you've got exactly seven people and all day.

Comment

Games you hate

It's too static to my liking, but if you like the game, then the online version (where players get a day per move) is better for precisely that reason.

Comment

Games you hate

hobbes wrote: I hate card games. All of them, without exception.
                            Hobbesian rightness. Except for Euchre and Oh Hell (or Up To 10 And Back).

Comment

Games you hate

I did, and maybe still do somewhere, have the Bread board game.

Sadly, the Bread in question was the Carla Lane sitcom.

It's not great.

Comment

Games you hate

TV-tie-in board games - they were by definition dreadful, weren't they? I remember a friend of mine bringing an On the Buses game to school. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life.

Comment

Games you hate

TV-tie-in board games - they were by definition dreadful, weren't they?
                                  Whereas now they're actually among the best games around. In addition to BSG as mentioned above, the Spartacus tie-in of all things is supposed to be pretty good, Game Of Thrones (which is really a book tie-in but the substantially different second edition only came out after the TV show) is very highly regarded, and the upcoming Firefly game has been getting positive reviews out of GenCon.

Comment

Games you hate

linus wrote: It's too static to my liking, but if you like the game, then the online version (where players get a day per move) is better for precisely that reason.
                                    Daily deadlines?

Are you mad?

Weekly, man!

(Unless you're playing "Gunboat", that is.)

Comment

Games you hate

If I could go down GY's route and rather than slate, recommend a couple of games - both by the same designer, Martin Wallace, but a long way apart in theme and playing style:

Brass

Players take on the roles of would-be tycoons, attempting to make their fortune in Industrial Revolution-era Lancashire. The game plays over a map of the county showing significant towns and cities from Manchester to Liverpool and Rochdale to Barrow-In-Furness, in which players must build cotton mills, coal mines, iron works, ports and even shipyards. They must also connect these locations via canals, in the first half of the game, and then via rail links in the second half. So there's a Ticket To Ride-style element of constructing transport networks; but far more importantly, it's necessary to carefully balance the type of industry you build in order to satisfy the laws of supply and demand. Build too many iron works when the iron market is saturated, and you'll have tied up your capital. Dig for coal when coal is scarce, and you'll rake in the rewards. But wait - are there enough ports to export all that cotton your competitors are manufacturing? An opportunity presents itself...

The rule are fairly detailed and not immediately intuitive, but they're wonderfully elegant, and the gritty theme really comes through.

[Edit: yes, I know, Barrow's in Cumbria... it's a game that literally pushes the boundaries]

Discworld – Ankh-Morpork

Stop, stop, stop. Don't be put off. Yes, the game is heavily themed and all the actions and characters are drawn directly from the books. But this medium-light social game is immense fun to play, and before long you'll be seeing the names and places in the context of their effect on the game, rather than their connection to the novels.

In this one you're a devious would-be potentate with designs on the dissolute city of Ankh-Morpork, who will stop at nothing to get their minions placed in positions of influence. The game mechanism is exceptionally simple and revolves around the playing of action cards, but the brilliantly implemented twist is that each player has a unique victory condition which they must disguise from their competitors. OK, so mystery victory conditions aren't a new thing in board games, but here, paranoia levels soar as the endgame approaches and it becomes apparent a number of conditions could be met every turn. But who stands to gain?

There's a fair dose of chaos and randomness in a game that might not appeal to die-hard logical gamers, but for those people who want the chance to fight it out tooth and nail with their friends and are prepared to indulge in a little duplicity, it's perfect.

Comment

Games you hate

Did anyone ever play any of those "adult" board games that were supposed to turn dinner parties into orgies? Libido is the only name I remember, but you'd see some other naff-looking games in sex or novelty shops from time to time.

I wonder if they're turning up at car boot sales now?

Comment

Games you hate

Stumpy Pepys wrote: The Monopoly set at my parent's house is so old that the houses and hotels are made of wood.
                                          The Monopoly set at my parents' house was so low-cost it wasn't even called Monopoly. I think Americans invented the expression "white trash" for people like us.

Comment

Games you hate

Let's pay Giro - "benefits suspended due to late signing, go back ten places". Is there already a game like that? Oh yes, it's called "Signing On".

Comment

Games you hate

I can't deal with Puerto Rico or Settlers of Fucking Cataan.

I really like Trivial Pursuit. I frequently win.

With my parents, we play Phase 10, Rummicube, and a few others that are pretty simple but fun to play together and much better than just sitting around watching TV.

Comment

Games you hate

Monopoly isn't good for kids.
                                                Louis CK explains.

As I recall, Monopoly was invented to teach kids the horrors of rapacious capitalism.

Comment

Games you hate

Comment

Games you hate

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                                    One of the LED lights didn;t work on my Jimmy. It was one of the attacking ones too. I was gutted.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X