• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think M might be Messina

Comment

M is indeed Messina

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Vantaa yes. (I'd never heard of it and then I realised it's one of those cities that's effectively a suburb of a bigger place. The possible pictures I found were completely uninspiring)
        I was in Vantaa, twice. Only because that's where Helsinki's airport is, but still.

My Finnish hosts impressed on me the fact that in the list of biggest cities in Finland, the Helsinki metropolitan sprawl takes first, second, and fourth place (for Helsinki, Espoo, and Vantaa, respectively).

Comment

I'm going to go with Zurich. Mainly on the basis that we had Zagreb last time and there are only two other cities I can think of beginning with Z, and it's not Zaragoza. Plus that water really needs to be a lake rather than a river....

Comment

It is Zurich, but the body of water in the foreground in the canalised Limmat, before it meets the Zurichsee.

The one preceding it is Vienna/Wien

Comment

Oh, in that case, is the K Kobenhavn? I was disqualifying the thought because it is spelled with a C in English.

Comment

Is G Gyor?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                  Oh, in that case, is the K Kobenhavn? I was disqualifying the thought because it is spelled with a C in English.
                  It is spelled with a C in English. But as you also point out with a K in its own language. So, yes you're right it's Kobenhavn (Wien and Zurich also correct. Not Győr)

I won't go as far as saying that all answers are spelled correctly in this way since some - such as Athens - are not written in Roman script.

Comment

How about Plovdiv for P and Radom for R?

Though I am shocked to find that Radom, which is the only city of any size near where my grandfather grew up, now has more than 200,000 people

Comment

Yes and yes.

Radom surprised me too. The geography of Poland is definitely not a strong suit of mine but I reckon I could easily name 10-15 cities off top of my head without having to think about it. Radom would very definitely not have been one.

Comment

Nor would I absent the family connection.

Its lack of any meaningful football history doesn't help, of course.

Comment

By contrast, the equivalent city for my grandmother is Kielce

Which has both a famously appalling pogrom to its name and a nouveau riche football club.

Comment

I've visited Vantaa and don't remember a thing about it.

We had a family picnic in Kielce en route from Warsaw to Zakopane. I convinced my brother aged 9 it was named after Chelsea FC. Like Ursus I picture a dusty small town, though this was in 1973

Comment

Given the evident size of it and the lack of other options U must be Ufa

Comment

U is indeed Ufa

Comment

If I had to guess which would have been tricky before the start I'd have said Vantaa, Ufa, Radom and the answers to G, H, and I. Quite surprised that N and T are still unsolved.

(The rules this time had a subtle change, which means that one of the remaining unsolved cities could not have been a possible entry in the previous competition).

Comment

N looks very British and I'm sure someone should be able to identify the civic building in the middle of the picture but I can't.

Comment

I thought N looked British too, I think it's Nottingham - ad hoc's cunningly chosen a view that cuts off the City Ground

Comment

N is indeed Nottingham. The photo is taken looking north (the castle and the Old Trip to Jerusalem are in the bottom left corner,) and as Rogin says the river, two football grounds and cricket ground are not in shot.

Comment

Does Trondheim get over the 200k?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            Does Trondheim get over the 200k?
                                            On the list I'm using it is 178,000. Wikipedia has it at 182,000. Either way, it's not here.

Comment

Fair enough. Add to that the fact none of the photos are of Trondheim!

Comment

Tallinn then?

Comment

Not Tallinn

Comment

A second view of G, H, I, and T (in that order)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X