Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical/Political/Geographical group descriptions for headline writers

Group A: ?
    Group B: The western Mediterranean (and mostly the Adriatic), and its beaches.
    Group C: Bits of Yugoslavia hosted by Sandi Toksvig
    Group D: Invaded by the Nazis
    Group E: Countries with sizeable minority populations of Hungarians. And Belgium.
    Group F: I got nothing. Black Sea and two other countries I can't connect

Group A: Germany and three stumbling blocks.

Group D can't be "invaded by Nazis". Austria wasn't invaded. They voted in large enough numbers to be annexed (even if the result was inflated), cheered in huge numbers when the Wehrmacht marched in, and enthusiastically took part in the Nazi ideology. Even today, they still like to vote for Nazis in chinos.

Comment

Surely any Danish headlines would riff on Lego or bacon way before they got to Toksvig. Never underestimate the laziness of tabloid headline writers.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
        Surely any Danish headlines would riff on Lego or bacon way before they got to Toksvig. Never underestimate the laziness of tabloid headline writers.
        I used Toksvig as she seems to be an honorary Englishwoman (as well as being Danish). That's not true of lego. Carlsberg maybe

Comment

Group A - Not Really The Boss Of Their Empire/Kingdom?

Austria-Hungary
          England & Scotland
          er Pope - Holy Romans for the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            When Denmark repeatedly and inevitably lie down to England at such tourneys, I usually reach for pig-related insults, yes

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I used Toksvig as she seems to be an honorary Englishwoman (as well as being Danish). That's not true of lego. Carlsberg maybe
              I'm just trying to play it from their point of view. What newspaper would use her as any kind of cultural reference point AND have a headline that resorted to half-arsed wordplay and/or punnery?

Comment

Working...
              X