Most Unappetizing Fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Unappetizing Fixture

Poland's qualification makes this a sitter, I think: Poland v Austria. Hungary v Switzerland and Slovenia v Serbia may also be rather grim but at least there's a team in each pairing that you definitely want to lose, whereas Poland v Austria is perhaps more about not wanting either to sneak into the last 16 (with apologies to non-neutrals like Ursus) so the best outcome would be 0-0.

Bear in mind that Slovenia vs Serbia* was one of the best matches ever at the Euros in 2000

(*technically Slovenia vs Yugoslavia, but by that time basically it was Serbia)

Comment

Austria look a good side to me. Not sure I'd nominate a game involving them at this point.

Comment

England - Slovenia will almost certainly be one where Gareth rests the first XI (assuming they've got 4 points out of Serbia and Denmark), and will probably end 0-0 if that's similarly the only result the Slovenes need at that point. 24-team tournaments with 16 going through are demonstrably shit in the group phases.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          England - Slovenia will almost certainly be one where Gareth rests the first XI (assuming they've got 4 points out of Serbia and Denmark)
          Haha how quickly England fans forget how these things play out.

Comment

24-team tournaments with 16 going through are demonstrably shit in the group phases.
            Earlier this year, both the final rounds of the group phases of AFCON and the AFC Asian Cup were excellent entertainment.

Comment

I'm not holding out much hope that Turkey vs Georgia will be a fiesta of glittering football. But it's Turkey; you never know what you'll get.

Switzerland vs Hungary could be one of those games you are happy you have watched, but I don't expect it. Although I want Hungary to be destroyed so bad that their racist fans will all cry in unison. With only black players, plus a McTominay hat-trick, scoring the combined 17 goals against them. (You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Haha how quickly England fans forget how these things play out.
                Well, they've been rewriting history in the Sven thread, is that 3 world cups they shoulda coulda won now, or just the 2..?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

Well, they've been rewriting history in the Sven thread, is that 3 world cups they shoulda coulda won now, or just the 2..?
                  Oh like you don't do that about Archie Gemill's consolation goal in 1978 after you'd failed to beat fucking Iran, or Alex Ferguson failing to tell a team in 1986 to just try to play some football for 89 minutes against 10-man Uruguay because you needed 2 points not 1.
                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-03-2024, 15:52.

Comment

England - Slovenia.
                    24-team tournaments with 16 going through are demonstrably shit in the group phases.
                    With some exceptions

Comment

Oh like you don't do that about Archie Gemill's consolation goal in 1978 after you'd failed to beat fucking Iran, or Alex Ferguson failing to tell a team in 1986 to just try to play some football for 84 minutes against 10-man Uruguay because he didn't realise you needed 2 points not 1.
                      If you say so. If it were true, just look at the comparative levels of delusion

Comment

Slovakia v Romania doesn't have much appeal.

Comment

What the hell do you all have against Central Europeans?

Comment

Oh like you don't do that about Archie Gemill's consolation goal in 1978 after you'd failed to beat fucking Iran, or Alex Ferguson failing to tell a team in 1986 to just try to play some football for 84 minutes against 10-man Uruguay because he didn't realise you needed 2 points not 1.
                            Nah, us Scots realise where we're at as opposed to the delusion that overcomes certain folk in Engerland, like a Southern Belle getting the vapours, come a major tournament.

Gemmil's goal was different class as well, far better than the Barnes one in the Maracana that induces orgasms in 60 odd year old commentators.

Comment

Hungary - Greece

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                Hungary - Greece
                                The international friendlies thread is over there.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

The international friendlies thread is over there.
                                  In think (though I'm not really sure) that this was an attempt at punning unappetising with hungry and grease.

Comment

Maybe Sweden - Greece then.

Comment

Before the name change quashed my dreams, I always wanted a world cup group of Sweden Turkey Chile Togo.

Comment

Reminds me of my one of my early fantasy league names: 'Donaghy, Babb or Berger to Go'.

I've stopped using the painful puns these days.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                          Before the name change quashed my dreams, I always wanted a world cup group of Sweden Turkey Chile Togo.
                                          forgive my thickness,but not getting it

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

At a guess Swede and Turkey Chilli* to go
                                            (* chilli con carne, rather than the actual peppers)

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

I'm thick too!

Comment

Is there any evidence at all for that shit about Ferguson? Playing football was hampered by the Uruguay team continually committing all assault. Im susrpised you dont follow that up by saying he was drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                                  Austria look a good side to me. Not sure I'd nominate a game involving them at this point.
                                                  Yeah fuck knows why Austria are deserving of this shade, they are pretty tasty.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X