Design Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Week

After months and months of hush-hushing from our board, it appears that Design Week have let the recycled cat out of the environmentally sustainable bag:

Football Club United of Manchester is planning to launch an open tender to find designers or architects to create its first stadium and club facilities later this year.

The club, formed in 2005 by Manchester United FC supporters following that team’s controversial takeover by Malcolm Glazer, has identified a potential site and reports that it is working with a series of unnamed designers on initial proposals for a ‘sustainable stadium’.

‘Meanwhile, Manchesterbased Judge Gill says it is working up a design for a sustainable football stadium for a club in or around the city. The interior design group’s plans include an ‘expandable’, 7000-capacity stadium constructed from recycled freight containers and featuring roof-mounted solar panels.

‘The community aspect of this team and its supporters is very strong,’ says Judge Gill cofounder David Judge, who declines to name the club.
    http://www.designweek.co.uk/fc-united-of-manchester-to-launch-stadium-tender/3001231.article

Design Week

Hmmm. I suppose I could have titled this thread a little better, but I've only just got out of bed and my head isn't working well.

Comment

Design Week

Design weak?

Comment

Design Week

EIM wrote:
        has identified a potential site
        any rumours abounding as to where yet?

Comment

Design Week

Dogbeak, I'm amazed you need to ask. Given how you are the one OTFer more interested in trains, railway lines, and geeky station shit than I, I would have thought you'd seen this:

http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/showthread.php?thread=5622

Errr. That's probably bollocks, as it goes. But the word on the street is that a site has been identified by both us and the council within the Manchester city limits. Which would be nice.

Comment

Design Week

Wow, good luck.

Comment

Design Week

Best of luck indeed.

Too bad about the Park station rumour being bollocks; the "gates leading to the abbatoir" would have been a nice atmospheric touch.

Comment

Design Week

What was with that weird Daily Mail story from the other week saying your lot were off back to Plough Lane? What would happen to Kingstonian and Kingsmeadow if that happened?

Comment

Design Week

EIM wrote:
                  Errr. That's probably bollocks, as it goes. But the word on the street is that a site has been identified by both us and the council within the Manchester city limits. Which would be nice.
                  Yeah, Newton Heath would be pretty apposite; I only asked because I'd heard some shite from a chap at work who supports Salford City who was getting nowty about FCUM potentially moving into Salford.

Which I would find really, really excellent myself.

Anwyay, I don't have owt else to say on the subject, other than to mention that last time I had a game of Champ Manager, FCUM ended up in the Championship after being bought out by a Soviet (not even Russian, but Soviet) oligarch.

So there you go.

Comment

Design Week

I've been a bit out of the loop lately, but it's about the ongoing status of the dog track. Basically, it ain't gonna happen any time soon. The only way it ever might is if the council bought it and let us play there after redevelopment (presumably funded by a big supermarket or somesuch). But my understanding is that such ideas play no part in the day-to-day decision making and short-to-medium term planning.

As for Kingstonian, fuck 'em. We could give the ground to them for free and all they'd do is whine that they don't like the shape of the bins.

Comment

Working...
                    X