Mussolini's Azzuri - 75 Years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m sure that this subject has been touched on in previous threads, but I didn’t see one which deals exclusively with the subject. So as it’s the 75th anniversary of Italy’s WC triumph in 1934, perhaps it’s an appropriate time to ask the theoretical question: would Italy have won the tournament outside of their own country?

It was June 10th 1934 when Italy became World Champions by defeating Czechoslovakia 2-1 in the final. But details like this tend to be lost amidst the Fascist propaganda fest that doubled up as a football competition, and it’s been well documented that Mussolini used the tournament in an effort to bolster his regime.

From fascist salutes to Il Duce at the matches, ineligible oriundi, and alleged corruption of referees, it’s difficult to be open minded about the 1934 tournament and believe that the best team won it fair and square on the pitch. On the other hand , perhaps we should take the view that the Italian manager Vittorio Pozzo

used the inflated spirit of the times to promote an atmosphere, a discipline, which subsequent Italian managers have envied, and which would never have been possible without it” (Brian Glanville - ‘Story of the World Cup’)

Here’s some film footage of the tournament that has survived.

I’ve got to go to work, so I’ll have to leave it at that for now. What do others think about this?

I think the general historical consensus outside of Italy is that the playing field was rather less than level, though you would be very hard pressed to find someone here willing to suggest that the Azzurri take a star off their shirts.

That said, I consider the Oriundi to have been the single biggest advantage for Italy, and they presumably would have turned out no matter where the tournament was staged given the very liberal rules on naturalisation applicable at the time. The rabidly partisan crowd certainly didn't hurt their late comeback in the final, either. It's also worth acknowledging that Pozzo was an excellent manager and tactician.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
      It's also worth acknowledging that Pozzo was an excellent manager and tactician.
      He sure was, regardless of his personal politics. For those not overly familiar with him, his Wikipedia page gives a general rundown of his life, career and success with the 'metodo' formation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Pozzo

Comment

You forgot to mention all the going to ground.

Comment

Working...
        X