'Soccer Wars ' - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of this week's most fascinating WC qualifiers is the Honduras/El Salvador clash on Thursday.

It's almost 40 years to the month (July 1969) since tensions between the two countries, exacberated by El Salvador's defeat of Honduras in the 1970 WC qualifiers, erupted into a four day war that claimed around 2,000 lives and displaced many times that number. Here's the link to the Wikipedia article on the conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

There might be a few more newspaper articles that highlight this anniversary in a day or two, but for now the only one I could find was this one from the South African Times:

www.thetimes.co.za/Sport/Article.aspx?id=1015011

Aside from the anniversary of the 'Soccer War', the article highlights an intriguing moral dilemma: should South Korea assist North Korea in their efforts to qualify for the WC?

Ok, so we're always told that sport and politics shouldn't mix. But where's the fun in that?

Don't some claim the Balkans wars were kick-started after a club game between one of the Belgrade teams and a Croat team, or have I just imagined that?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinamo_Zagreb-Red_Star_Belgrade_riot

Comment

I bought the book "Soccer Wars" in a second hand book shop a few years back.
        Its a memoir collection from the first reporter on the scene during the El Salvador/Honduras skirmish. The first chapter concerns the aforementioned "soccer war", but the rest are the usual foreign correspondents stuff. All I remember about him is that he was Polish.
        I bought it thinking the title was the subject matter of the whole book. I was robbed.

Comment

It's by otf favourite Ryszard Kapuscinski, and is perhaps his weakest book.

Comment

Its all over ebay in a new edition if anyone's interested.

Comment

Working...
            X