The Simon Davey Billy Davies Spat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Davey and Billy Davies, the managers of Barnsley and Nottingham Forest, were involved in an extraordinary slanging match after their teams' 1–1 draw at Oakwell.

Davey took Davies to task over the Forest boss's pre-match remarks that the Sheffield United defender Chris Morgan – whose elbow on Iain Hume last season left the Tykes striker with a fractured skull – embodied the attitude and approach he wanted to see in his side. Davey, who lost his job as Preston youth-team coach when Davies was in charge at Deepdale, said: "What he [Davies] said was bordering on bringing the game into disrepute. He's asked his players to emulate a player that has come here and put one of my players in hospital. He's done it to try and intimidate the fans, the whole atmosphere, but for me it's very unprofessional for a manager to do something like that."

Davies said: "I was asked a question about the type of people coming to this football club and I said it's the likes of Chris Lucketti and Chris Morgan – their type of mentality and experience – that you need at this level. For anybody to make a suggestion I was referring to anything else is the most small-minded thing I've ever seen in my life and I can't believe it. I can't believe for one second that somebody would suggest I was trying to stoke the flames. What an absolute disgrace – a disgrace from the same manager who was loaned Jon Macken and Lewin Nyatanga [by Davies, when he was manager of Derby] last season. He's got a very, very short memory."
    Saw this in the Guardian, Billy Davies is an absolute twat for saying this. Obviously there is previous behind this, sounds like Davies gave Davey the boot at Preston and he wanted to wind him up but this has gone way past that, Morgan could have killed Hume with that challenge.

jesus christ, what a cunt.

Comment

Now that's not fair, Antepli Ejderha is a respected member of this community.

Comment

Where is the original Davies quote?

Comment

'The Simon Davey Billy Davies are a pair of silly billies Spat'

Is how i saw this thread title.

Comment

When I first heard of this I've got to say that I thought Simon Davey was overreacting. There is still tremendous bad feeling at Oakwell about the Morgan elbow, (a massive Club sanctioned banner 'Barnsley Fans Support Iain Hume' outside the Ponty End, players running over to where Hume sits and pointing to their elbow when they score, etc) and I think that we at Barnsley havn't realised yet that the story is now old news for everyone else. Billy Davies mentioned Morgan without knowing the minefield he was getting into.

It is a bit strange that Davies mentioned Morgan just before playing Barnsley though, so perhaps he was having a dig after all...

By the way, Barnsley are at Bramall Lane for the return fixture this Tuesday. I'm glad I'm not a referee.

Comment

Billy Casper wrote:

...players running over to where Hume sits and pointing to their elbow when they score...
              "A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."

Comment

Haha. Not only that, but each goal also means someone is making up for his absence, and making a claim for his job!

Thankfully (for Hume) we don't score many goals.

Comment

From my perspective the most unexpected outcome of the Morgan/Hume issue is that since it occured Morgan has been playing better than at any time since he joined us. One of the reasons we have been doing OK recently is because Morgan and Kilgallon have been strong. Morgan seems calmer and much more controlled than in the past and consequently we have been giving away fewer free kicks in dangerous places. (Having said this the red mist will probably descend tomorrow and carnage will ensue).

Morgan is not the brightest bloke you are likely to meet and I get the impression he was seriously shocked by what happened. He was so used to playing the hard as nails destroyer defender role that I don't think it had dawned on him that someone could get seriously injured from his modus operandi.

As far as I am aware he has made no statement at all about the incident other than to wish Hume well, despite taking a huge amount of flack from all quarters. This is in marked contrast to the way Davey has used the incident as a motivational tool for the team and he and Barnsley have used it to stoke the emotions of the fans to create an us against the world mentality.

In none of this am I attempting to paint Morgan as an Angel, I know very well that he is not, but if there is trouble tomorrow night I do think that Davey needs to reflect on the way he has handled this issue.

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
                    Me, respected, fucking hell must have done something wrong.

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
                      Well, I suppose somebody has to be.

Comment

I quite agree GHE, there's never any trouble at Brammall Lane derby matches. That stadium is entirely free of flare launching, piss throwing, coin hurling neanderthals, and any trouble that ensues will be solely the fault of Simon Davey. For fucks sake.

Comment

police called over due to an incident between the benches tonight

Comment

Did I say solely? I don't think I did. But as I still bare the mark of a rock throwing Wednesday twat from 1980 forgive me if I don't have too much sympathy with your view of a civilised sweet and innocent fan base either.

Comment

At the risk of repeating myself, did Billy Davies actually say that the flying elbow by Morgan typified what he wanted to see from his team?

Comment

I don't think Davies mentioned flying elbows, but when you talk about Chris Morgan's fighting spirit what is the first image that comes to mind?

I think GHE is right when he mentions Simon Davey having a Barnsley against the world mentality. To be honest I think most Barnsley fans feel the same way (me included). Alright the Morgan/Hume assault happened and we can't turn back time, but it just seems like there is no closure to it because it has never been dealt with at any level.
                                Only a yellow card from Andy D'Urso. No apology from Chris Morgan. "It's a mans game" comments from Kevin Blackwell. After studying the tape, no further action from the FA. And my particular favourite -Sheffield United saying it's wrong to take the matter to the courts - they would never take anything football related that far obviously.

...and still Iain Hume sits at home with his career in the balance.

Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway, on to last nights match. Sheff Utd fully deserved their win. Barnsley were the best side in the first half, with our classy midfield controlling things. In the second half though we were overpowered and 2-1 was about right. As always, our forwards were not good enough (our best forward is currently injured...) but Sheff Utds pair looked very dangerous.
                                Chris Morgan stayed calm (and played very well it has to be said) and the only unsavoury incident was on the touchline.

A really good match though.

Comment

Glass Half Empty wrote:
                                  Did I say solely? I don't think I did. But as I still bare the mark of a rock throwing Wednesday twat from 1980 forgive me if I don't have too much sympathy with your view of a civilised sweet and innocent fan base either.
                                  If you're going to talk about other clubs winding up their fans, you're going to have to account for your idiot of a manager and marketing department, and the flare chucking, pissthrowing scumbaggery that surrounded 'payback Tuesday'.

Comment

This isn't just a SUFC thing, btw, it really does get on my tits when people try to prevent managers saying something 'because it might cause trouble'. I don't think an attitude that fans are unable to control themselves and therefore will resort to violence if an opposing manager says the wrong thing is healthy at any club.

Comment

For what it's worth I thought that the club were slow in confronting and dealing with the garbage that started occupying H block in the year or two running up to the flare game. I had a pal who was sitting in G block that season and he was very unhappy about the way it was going prior to the derby match and he and plenty of other fans made their feelings known to the club. Since then however it has been dealt with and on my visits into the South stand this season I've seen no evidence of that group of vermin.

As regards our manager, I presume you mean Warnock in this context, well yes, he is a wind up merchant, and there was nothing he liked more than winding you lot up, Laws seems to be copying him in this. But you can't on the one hand argue that an opposing manager has the right to say what he likes and it is the responsibility of the fans to behave themselves regardless and at the same time blame Warnock for incitement, as you appear to be doing unless I have read your post incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
                                      X