Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shearer's in

Just announced on BBC:

Shearer in as manager for rest of season at Newcastle.

Shearer's in

Link

Comment

Shearer's in

Hmm it's not April 1st yet. This looks genuine!

Comment

Shearer's in

This is excellent news. In a way it's kinda fitting that Shearer should oversee Newcastle's relegation, having joined them when they were at the height of their powers.

Comment

Shearer's in

Sky's current page on this.

Comment

Shearer's in

robw wrote:
            Hmm it's not April 1st yet. This looks genuine!
            It is April Fools Day now, but it still looks genuine. Crikey.

Comment

Shearer's in

(PM for you, by the way, G.O.)

Comment

Shearer's in

haahahahahahahahah

Comment

Shearer's in

So they have been fairly active in the transfer market this season, after all, then.

Comment

Shearer's in

The BBC can't count:

Shearer would be owner Mike Ashley's fourth managerial appointment this season as the club fights relegation.

Kevin Keegan was replaced by Joe Kinnear, who then had heart surgery, with Chris Hughton taking over as boss.

Comment

Shearer's in

If it is an April fool, then it's being co-ordinated across the media: it's on Soccernet's homepage as well (and I thought, until I saw this thread, that it was their April fool's joke).

I actually prefer it being true, to be honest.

Comment

Shearer's in

The thought occurs that it might actually be a massive April fool's joke on the entire planet on the part of Mike Ashley, though. He knows it'll be all over tomorrow's newspapers. And surely even he's aware what that's going to look like, given the date...?

Comment

Shearer's in

Well, if he manages to get results against Chelsea and The Ervnim, I will gladly creosote his fence this summer free of charge...

Saying that, if he gets results against the aformentioned and Newcastle lose the rest of their games (thus, relegating them), I will paint his house...

Comment

Shearer's in

F365 are saying that Joe Kinnear is being moved 'upstairs' (director of football) once he recovers from his op...

Hmmm...

Comment

Shearer's in

seriously, this is horrible timing. I was watching Sky Sports News, and it just seemed like a fake April Fools Joke. Then I checked BBC, and they had it too. I guess it's legit.

Comment

Shearer's in

I'm not listening to Five Live tonight.

You know the drill: they get Mark Pougatch to park the broadcast van outside St. James's Park and spend the next two/three hours talking to the usual types who always swan around there even if all the press conferences and whatnot have been packed up long beforehand, just, perhaps, for the opportunity to bellow words like 'messiah', 'passion', 'Geordie nation', and 'ethos' into Pougatch's microphone for long stretches (when news happens at any other Premiership club, they talk to a special correspondent there - when it happens at Newcastle, they piss off over there and do the whole thing from St. James's Park. Why?). And 606 is to be conspicuously avoided. The hopeless Lovejoy talking to those types of ebullient Newcastle fans who always seem to use up more oxygen than anybody else.

A sound version of Hell.

Comment

Shearer's in

It just seems so unlike Shearer to take over in the current situation and possibly be the man that takes them down. He must have had umpteen chances to take over in better circumstances. A little part of me can't help thinking this is some PR stunt by Ashey's people which will backfire in hilarious fashion.

Comment

Shearer's in

ian.64 wrote:
                                    A sound version of Hell.
                                    The visual version being Sky Sports News all through today, I'll bet. Gangs of the spotty charver herberts that hang around St James Park during the daytime on a weekday waiting for a Sky camera to appear so they can gurn in the background or get interviewed saying "aye, Shearer, magic, legend like."

It's awful when your club provides so many acts for the Sky Sports News circus, with the lugubriously smug David Craig as ringmaster and excitable gobshite Jim White overdoing it in the studio.

Still - Shearer, eh? Perhaps the nightmare scenario of Shearer in charge getting us relegated may be about to happen, but at least it won't be his fault. Much as I am, childishly, quite excited about this, I can't help but feel it's on a desprate par with Ashley getting Keegan back again. Is there nothing the man won't do to be loved by the Geordie Nation (short of actually sacking Dennis Wise)?

Mind, if we stay up, you can put any number of Sky cameras in my face and I'll gladly gurn "aye, Shearer, magic, legend like."

Comment

Shearer's in

Great news for Match of the Day viewers. Is it too greedy to expect the BBC to expose one of his daughters as a crooked agent so we don't even get 30 seconds of post-game drivel?

Comment

Shearer's in

The best thing about this is the timing, and the fact that everybody is wondering if it's an April Fool's joke. That pretty much says everything you need to know. Apart from the other thing you need to know, which is that Newcastle United have obviously grown weary of being in the Premier League.

Comment

Shearer's in

Where's Tommy Sunderland when you need him, eh?

Comment

Shearer's in

Well, we can't really do any worse than we have been.

Hopeful monster.

Comment

Shearer's in

Right on cue there, did you see that?

Comment

Shearer's in

I bet he keeps them up, though.

Or rather, I bet they stay up.

Comment

Shearer's in

You have to change your name to 'The Number of the Shearer' now, (ex-)W.E.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X