Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who hates Arsenal the most? Ad hoc or GO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet, austere dignity in the face of vile, facially deformed jostling and intimidation was the only thing not to dislike. How RvN kept his cool was, at first, a mystery to me. But it soon became clear - he was plotting his revenge, a dish best served cold with croutons on them - forever stalling the Invincibles on 49. His second penalty, the penalty he scored the next season was the football equivalent of smearing 'TOUCHABLE' in blood over the interior of an elevator. They've never been the same since, and RvN, much like King Mufasa (another proudly maned regal sort) is smiling down from heaven, grooming his balls, knowing full well that it was all worth a bit of a jostle.

Comment

Heaven is the Bernabeu?

Comment

He's at the fucking Bernabeu? Good Christ. I assumed he was dead.

Comment

Some would say they're equivalent

Comment

I was a sort-of Arsenal fan for a bit as a kid, without going to games that much. Liam Brady was one of my early football heroes. Even now, they're the least obnoxious of the gruesome foursome.

But they're still a pack of whinging, self-regarding, self-satisfied, arrogant fuckers aren't they?

I notice this is becoming a bit of a catchphrase of mine on OTF, but "What E10 said".

Also, I had an Arsenal towel when I was at school, which caused much hilarity when folded in half, back in those days when they weren't commonly known by the abbreviation.

To make things clear though, my attitude towards Arsenal has been indifferent to hostile for the past 25 years.

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
              I like Arsenal.
              So do I. Well, I quite like this current lot that play in a strip a bit like Arsenal's in a stadium quite close to Arsenal's with some of Arsenal's old supporters following them. I don't think they're much related to the old hateable Arsenal, are they?

They seem to have become the "glamourous" side with a reputation for attractive football and exciting foreign imports but ulimately failing to achieve much outside the cups that a certain other North London team used to be.

Meanwhile that other North London team has turned in to a dour, dislikable team of grinders bumping along season after season to little effect that, er, Arsenal used to be.

Comment

Coppers are cunning bastards.

Comment

Who hates Arsenal the more, wingco.

Comment

Is it me or Arsenal have more sympathies among neutrals on here than Spurs though?

Comment

Words really can't do justice to my feelings on this matter.

Comment

Insert witty username wrote:
                        Is it me or Arsenal have more sympathies among neutrals on here than Spurs though?
                        If you'd have asked that question 10-15 years ago, the opposite would probably have been true. We're a fickle bunch us neutrals though. Under Wenger, it's difficult not to admire their style of football, even if there have been elements of his stewardship that have been less than edifying.

Comment

Ah, but Why On Earth, you understand that I wasn't inviting a comparison between ad hoc and GO. I was suggesting that one, or the other, hates Arsenal more than any other human being on the planet - therefore, the most. The question is, which one? (Of course I then suggested that there might be others with an even greater claim than theirs - but they, too, would in that case be unmatched by anyone else on the globe, of that I am sure).

Anyway, rather embarrassingly, I think this Stubbs bloke is now in the lead. You'd think Arsenal burnt down his pet dog's kennel, the way he goes on about them.

Comment

wingco wrote:
                            I was suggesting that one, or the other, hates Arsenal more than any other human being on the planet - therefore, the most. The question is, which one?
                            There's only one way to find out.

FIIIIIGHT

Comment

In may 1971 I bunked off school with a couple of mates to see the title decider at WHL. I arrived at Seven Sisters station at about 5.00 for a 7.30 kick off.

There were so many people there that by 6.30 i was still half a mile from the ground and there were rumours that the gates had been shut. We lost 0-2 and they won the league. Total chaos and horrible gloating gunners.

5 days later Charlie George was lying on the turf at Wembley and the luckiest, dullest side imaginable had emulated magical achievements the glory boys of 61.

My Dad was singing "we are the champions" and hanging up a red and flag outside our house.

I didn't talk to the bastard for a week.

That's why i hate Arsenal.

Comment

I think it was just 1-0 actually. Ray Kennedy. You might be confusing this with the 2-0 Arsenal handed to Spurs earlier in the season. Hope this isn't rekindling past pain . . .

Comment

Winco - thanks for the info. I've never seen that match and only remember losing.

So many defeats have put all matches into a kind of average lifelong 2-0 deteated blur.

Comment

That blur's still affecting your eyes, isn't it...

Comment

maybe i really meant that Arsenal make me feel deteated!

Comment

5 days later Charlie George was lying on the turf at Wembley and the luckiest, dullest side imaginable had emulated magical achievements the glory boys of 61.
                                        Actually it was that final that coloured alot of my on going football allegiences.

from that match, I hated Arsenal, a team I hardly knew before with such a hatred, that when I started working around t'smoke, many years later, I started following Tottenham as 'they were the natural rivals of Arsenal.

And with Liverpool, another team I only vaguely knew about before the final - I started to support.

Odd things the workings of an 11 year old mind.

Today I kind of admire the Arsene version for their silky skills etc; but still hardly ever want them to win against anyone.

As for Liverpool, they remain the only so called big club that I look out for - along with Spurs of course (ahem!).
                                        But it is all Arsenal's doing, and that long lank haired twat laying on the Wembley turf.

Comment

EIM, I know the Arsenal display vs. RvN was fairly disgraceful, but at that moment didn't you just sit there asking yourself: "why in the hell did Ferguson just ask a Dutchman to take a crucial penalty?"

Comment

because he had scored the previous 25.

Comment

Harri Saer wrote:
                                              I quite like this current lot that play in a strip a bit like Arsenal's
                                              I normally try to suppress my inner proof-reader when I'm on here. But that, Harri, is the worst mis-spelling of the word 'Charlton' I have ever seen.

Comment

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                                                because he had scored the previous 25.
                                                Still. A Dutchman.

Comment

Peter Storey, Peter Simpson. Malcolm MacDonald, the bandy-legged, pigeon-chested twat. Tony Adams, Martin Keown. Ian Wright and Uncle Bob Wilson. Their current vision-impaired manager. The 1993 Fa Cup Final. The choreographed offside appeals. The pompous march to glory attitude they adopted before the 1978 FA Cup Final. Ha, fucking ha. The way they used to run around buying everyone else's best players. Paul Mariner, Brian Talbot. Oh yes, Charlie Nicholas and Peter Marinello. Ha, fucking ha.

Am I the only OTFer to have been in the manager's office at Highbury?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X