US Mens National "Sawker" Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roster for World Cup qualifiers against El Salvador (a) and Trinidad and Tobago (h):
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Reading)
    DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes ), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (AS Monaco ), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca)
    FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Xerez C.D.), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (Cardiff City)

British football fans will recognize the following:

Tim Howard-starting goalkeeper for Everton

Brad Guzan-backup to fellow Yank Brad Friedel

Marcus Hahnemann-stopped most shots in PL last year

Carlos Bocanegra-former Fulham captain

Danny Califf-scorer of unlucky own goal in second leg of Uefa Cup tie against Man City

Jay DeMerit-occasional Watford captain

Oguchi Onyewu-unsuccessful stint with Newcastle

Heath Pearce-Started at LB against England in friendly at Wembley

Jonathon Spector-former Man U youth player, started today

Freddy Adu-linked with just about every big club in the world

DaMarcus Beasley-joined Man City on loan in August 06

Michael Bradley-Sir Alex Ferguson "watching the boy"

Maurice Edu-Currently playing at Rangers

Sacha Kljestan-asking money is downfall of move to Celtic

Jozy Altidore-linked to move to Everton

Clint Dempsey-regained starting place after early season benchings

Landon Donovan-Prospective loan move to Portsmouth did happen

Eddie Johnson-failure at football, finally scored a goal in England.
    Dunno why the hell we called him up. Maybe for moral support.

eddie johnson? really?

his goal was scored in wales to be pedantic. I saw it. with my own eyes, it wasn't bad either.

Comment

Well we've heard reports that for the last 3-4 games he's been doing much better, and the highlights backed it up. However, he is not going to get much playing time because he should be the 5th striker, so it'd make much more sense to let him assert himself with Cardiff and let a younger guy take his spot on the national team. It is quite puzzling, because if he does get playing time, he has been so inconsistent over the last few years that we won't know what to expect. But it wouldn't be surprise if he did because he has 8 goals in 9 World Cup qualifying games, including a hat trick, so I guess his speed could work against the concaCRAP teams. Still, most USA fans have ruled him out of the running for a 2010 World Cup roster spot.

Here's the goal:
      Not bad.

Eddie Johnson Fun Facts:

1.Maradona once called him "the next Eusebio" lol

2.Called himself a "grown ass man"

3.Scored back to back hat tricks in MLS, then didn't score for the next two months

Comment

Eddie Johnson came into Cardiff's 3-0 loss to Sheffield United in the 76th minute, earned some fouls, and is now presumably going to head to the US, before heading off to El Salvador for qualifying. Even if he doesn't get playing time, Blues fans can expect to receive a tired grown ass man.

Comment

Eddie Johnson is a bit overrated in FM 2008 if reports on this thread are anything to go by. Is he likely to win the european golden boot in the premiership?

Comment

I'm not sure, I don't even have FM 09. But he's also rated high in FIFA 09, presumably because of his speed, and that's all that matters in that game isn't it?

Comment

Firesox wrote:
              Roster for World Cup qualifiers against El Salvador (a) and Trinidad and Tobago (h):
              GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Reading)
              DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes ), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
              MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (AS Monaco ), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca)
              FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Xerez C.D.), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (Cardiff City)

Firesox, the Americans on here like myself don't really give a damn who British fans might recognize. Still, any extra posts on American SOCCER are welcome and greeted with good HUMOR.

Comment

All set to take down El Salvador and their home fans.

Projected lineup:

-----------Ching-----------
                ----------Donovan----------
                Beasley-------------Dempsey
                ----Bradley---Mastroeni----
                Pearce--Boca--Gooch--Hejduk
                -----------Guzan-----------

It sounds like Guzan will be handed the start, and I only gave Mastroeni the edge over Kljestan because he had a better game in their MLS meeting last week. To be honest, I would prefer Kljestan. At leftback, I wish Spector would get a start, but I imagine Heath gets the start today, and Spector on Wednesday.

Prediction: USA 2-0 El Salvador. Look for some REALLY crappy calls.

Comment

Love the goalie's name. Does it mean the same as here(Scotland)? Bradley is some player. Is he likely to move on in the summer?

Comment

Not sure what Guzan means in Scotland...also Bradley plays for relegation threateners Borussia Munchengladbach in the Bundesliga, so if they were to go down, he would certainly leave. Already, in his first year, he has established himself as one the the club's best players. Now to the game

2-2 Draw versus El Salvador. Most disgusting performance we've seen since we played England. Our coaches tactics failed, our passing was shit, and only after the two most requested players were subbed on (Jozy Altidore and Jose Torres) were the US able to come back from 2 goals down. If you really are interested, http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...oot=us&cc=3888 sums up just about everything the fans are yelling about. Utterly disgraceful performance from the players and the coach. If only we were in Brazil. The coach (and his failed tactics) would have been slaughtered. Here, I'll be lucky to see 10 seconds of the highlights on TV.

Comment

To be honest, firesox, I though your prediction of a 2-0 win for the Nats was wildly optimistic. As I said on the CONCAFUC thread getting an away result in Central America is a tough row to hoe no matter how weak the opposition is perceived to be. And this just proves that CONCACAF qualifying is no stroll in the park. We've come a cropper down there before and it'll happen again. Even Bruce Arena had a bad day in San Jose but we got to the quartefinals of WC 2002. So what can you say? Shit happens.

But if shit continues to happen, Bradley's in for a rocky time.

Comment

Well we were getting off the high of beating Mexico. But my god, this result just proves so much. One thing, even if you are getting results, but a player sucks, you need to experiment. Bob's conservative system was just horrible, and you have to question the preparation, when they couldn't even string together 3 passes against a team that was sitting back. Then, when they countered with speed, they seriously showed the lack of pace in our defenders and a lack of depth. We've gotten some decent results against them in the past, and even Bob was thinking big when he named his bench. His only real attacking option was Jozy, and his subs were so late, it was painful. There's just so much to be done in this team, I don't know what to think about 2010. I just hope Bob is not coach for the 2014 cycle, because that is a breakout year with the best attacking talent and depth, and we can do without a conservative coach who needs the deficiencies of a player to be delivered on a plate before he makes changes.

Comment

Torres was good. He should have started, also since he plays in Mexico he's used to the environment and playing style. He was definitely more effective than Sacha.

Comment

Sacha was horrible. Torres should start against T and T, and I doubt he'll give it up from there.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:

Firesox, the Americans on here like myself don't really give a damn who British fans might recognize. Still, any extra posts on American SOCCER are welcome and greeted with good HUMOR.
                              Well, seeing as this is a British messageboard I think it was a nice touch.

Comment

A British messageboard with posters living in a variety of places with many different interests. The American soccer threads in the past have done fine without trying to explain who everyone is. Don't get me wrong, it was a great effort for Firesox, I just wanted him to know that he didn't have to knock himself out, because really, most of the time the American soccer threads are populated by the North American posters.

Comment

Not a wasted effort from Firesox, I don't always keep up with the who is who and where they're playing, so any news like that is handy.

Comment

Home match against T and T tomorrow in Tennessee. I WANT to see many changes, but I doubt we'll see much. This is why I think Bob (that useless cunt) will put out

------------Ching--------------
                                    -----------Donovan-------------
                                    Beasley-----------------Dempsey
                                    --------Bradley--Torres--------
                                    Borstein-Bocanegra-Onyewu-Hedjuk
                                    ------------Howard-------------

First off, that is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Seriously, it sucks. Beasley and Bocanegra SHOULD be dropped, but there's no one in camp to replace them. Should be no problem right? Just send Marcus Hanhemann back to Reading and pick up an offensive player. After, all Spector can start at left back, as can Bocanegra, and maybe even Beasley. WRONG. This dumbfuck calls up Jonathon fucking Bornsetin. And why would he call him up if he isn't going to start him? He's a Bob Bradley favorite, but we know what he can bring already (nothing more than Heath Pearce), so why not try Spector? Makes no sense. Also, Jozy Altidore SHOULD be starting. But he won't. And finally, Freddy Adu NEEDS to get in that lineup, somehow, someway. If he's not at least on the bench....well let's not go there. The spark Torres showed Saturday, and back to back shitty performances by Kljestan SHOULD ensure a start for Torres. But you can never be sure. Either way, we will win this game, and we might even win big. Anything less than 2-0 and a commanding performance would be yet another failure for Bob and his gang. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                    X