X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football Programmes on BBC4

Monday 23 February 2009

22:30 Storyville; Maradona: In the Hands of the Gods
    Five British freestyle footballers go to Argentina in the hope of meeting Diego Maradona.

23:30 Storyville; Barca - The Inside Story
    Documentary following the fortunes of Barcelona Football Club over a year of crisis. (R)

01:00 Storyville; Gods of Brazil
    Documentary telling the story of legendary Brazilian footballers Pele and Garrincha. (R)

02:10 Football and Fascism
    Documentary looking at the manipulation of football by Mussolini, Hitler and Franco. (R)

Tuesday 24 February 2009

00:35 Football Worlds: The Game of Their Lives
    Documentary charting North Korea's shock success in the 1966 World Cup. (R)

Wednesday 25 February 2009

22:00 Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait
    Film which follow Zinedine Zidane ceaselessly during a Real Madrid home match.

00:20 Time Shift; 6 Days to Saturday
    A week in the life of the players and manager of Swindon Town football club in 1963. (R)

01:00 The Golden Vision
    Ken Loach-directed 1968 drama about the relationship between fans and footballers. (R)

the barca one tonight is great. mostly behind the scenes boardroom stuff, and very interesting

Comment

I'm debating whether these will be on the iPlayer tomorrow, or do right issues dictate otherwise.

Late night for me I thinks.

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
        00:20 Time Shift; 6 Days to Saturday
        A week in the life of the players and manager of Swindon Town football club in 1963
        This is the one I'm waiting for.

Comment

'The Gods From Brazil' has some wonderful vintage footage of Garrincha playing domestic football.

Comment

Just saw that Zidane film the other day. It is really brilliant. It's not a film you can just have on in the background though. You have to concentrate fully to get the most out of it.

One of the directors is an artist and it certainly is more like a work of art, that is; something you'd go and stare at in a gallery for a long time rather than enjoy as a narrative piece of film.

Comment

I'm sure I saw that Barca programme a few years ago. It ends as Frank Rijkaard is made manager and their results pick up as I recall.

Comment

I remember the Barca documentary was excellent: Laporta's first season in the boardroom, and Ronaldinho's on the pitch. Despite all the troubles and difficulties over the year, you know things are going to be alright when they show Ludovic Giuly signing for them at the end.

Comment

thank you mask man wrote:
                  I remember the Barca documentary was excellent: Laporta's first season in the boardroom, and Ronaldinho's on the pitch. Despite all the troubles and difficulties over the year, you know things are going to be alright when they show Ludovic Giuly signing for them at the end.
                  I'm still convinced Monaco would've won the 2004 Champions League final had Giuly not gone off inured.

Comment

I've seen most of them.

Haven't seen the Zidane one though, so will take a tip from the merengue baggie upthread and give it a watch...

Comment

The first one seems to be a bunch of blokes travelling around lating america doing kickups and pulling women.

Fair play to them, but i am expecting more and there is only 5 minutes left.

Comment

the swindon one was made by john boorman

Comment

It did pick up when the boys split up.

Now i like to consider myself a hard man but when the boys finally met maradonna tears welled up in my eyes as i would give alot to meet that fellow.

This has inspired a new thread.

Comment

They showed this Barca documentary just before or after they won the CL in 2006. Laporta went up in my estimation big time.
                            Not sure how true it is to the regiume but i wish we had that board running Spurs.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Kowalski.

The Barcelona documentary is very good and well worth watching. Rijkaard is the manager for the entire season (his first in charge). Shamefully, there is not a single mention of their 0-1 thrashing at the hands of David Marshall and Celtic in the UEFA Cup.

There is, however, some extremely amusing footage of a boardroom exchange in which the top brass discuss the amount of money they are paying Patrick Kluivert.

I'll be setting the DVD recorder for the North Korea 1966 one.

Comment

There is alot of amusing footage.
                                Amongst other things are:

1. The embarrassed unveiling of Ricardo Queresma (i think) when they promised to bring David Beckham.

2. The excuses given when the Agent of Thiago Motta came in looking for a payrise.

3. All Barca directors huddling around the tv next to the groom watching barca whist the cake is being wheeled out in the background and the wedding going on without them.

Comment

cheers kowalski, looking forward to watching this brazil doc at one.

Comment

Aye, TG, the end of that Maradona documentary was quite moving. Especially that one kid who could barely hold himself together on the bus to Maradona's house, and was just sobbing by the time they met him.

Comment

yes, these barca guys are a bit better than i imagine the spurs board to be.

Comment

1958 footage of Garrincha smiling broadly whilst surrounded by some hot looking Swedish women.

It must have been like shooting fish in a barrel for him.
                                        Garrincha is using successive full-backs as props and pele is measuring the height of the Welsh defenders with the cameras panning to numerous pretty Swedish women celebrating.

Comment

wow, that's the first time i've ever seen france v brasil in the 1958 world cup semi. what a fantastic collection of goals.

Comment

Sweden take the Lead in the 58 final with the slowest drible i have even seen.

Comment

The Sweden number 8 looks about 50.

Brazils massuer cum witchdoctor looks like a young lou gosset Jnr.

Comment

That French team is probably thier 3rd best of all time after the 98-2002 team and 82-86 lot.

Comment

I have heard it said that the 58 team was better than 70.
                                                  Garrincha was an awesome winger.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X