Fab Celebrity Game in New York!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Bull New York has just announced a celebrity game prior to its MLS home opener against New England on March 28. Get this for a lineup that's sure to bring them flocking to the Meadowlands like it was Pele and Beckenbauer's heyday:

The celebrities scheduled to participate in the match include:
    - Werner Roth, Former New York Cosmos
    - V Factory, band from Radio Disney
    - Lance Reddick, actor in Lost, the Fringe, the Wire.
    - Robert Funaro, Emmy nominated actor who has appeared in The Sopranos and American Gangster and the new prime time series The Unusuals
    - Michael Johns, American Idol Season 7 favorite
    - John Driscoll & Jeff Branson, actors in Guiding Light
    - Ken Stafford, Contestant in Survivor Thailand
    - Kaycee Stroh, High School Musical
    - Goumba Johnny from WKTU will serve as the MC for the game.

Michael Johns is the only one I've heard of, though I can't remember what he looks like. I imagine the contestant from Survivor Thailand will be a tough tackling defender who eats live cockroaches for his halftime snack. I bet the Sopranos actor was a Series 1 bump-off. Mind you, The Unusuals would be a great name for a Sunday league team.

Lance Reddick was Cedric Daniels on "The Wire." He was also in a Cadillac commercial. He's got a great voice--that's him saying "Previously on...the Wire."

The Sopranos guy played Eugene Pontecorvo, who first appeared in Season 3. One of those characters whose name you heard a lot, but never remembered until you saw him and said "oh yeah, that guy. Who is he with again?"

Comment

imp! I thought this was going to be a Crystie street Reyna, Fowler, McManaman et al redux. Color me super super disappointed.

Comment

Someone needs to pay back Roth for his no-good, cheating display in Paris in 1943.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
          Someone needs to pay back Roth for his no-good, cheating display in Paris in 1943.
          He did miss the penalty though.

Comment

Latest comical press release from an MLS team - the LA Galaxy has named David Kammarman as "director of soccer operations." Does this mean he'll perform surgery on injured players? Or is a 'soccer operation' a west coast thing I haven't heard about?

Meanwhile DC United has waived midfielder Joe Vide (no great loss, admitedly) and general manager Dave Kaspar has sent him on his way with the heartwarming words: "We would like to thank Joe for his contributions on and off the field, and wish him the best of luck in the future." Joe must be well consoled by that as he looks for a new team in the midst of an economic crisis.

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
              Antonio Gramsci wrote:
              He did miss the penalty though.
              He fucking well did not. Stallone initially stopped the ball but then carried it over the line in the course of his celebrations (watch that scene closely and you'll see what I mean). Had the linesman not been overcome by a pitch invasion by thousands of spectators in suspiciously modern dress, I'm sure it would have been given.

Comment

What was that weirdo game in the Lower East Side last year, with Thierry Henry and Jason Kidd and Steve Nash, or was that a dream ?

Comment

imp wrote:
                  Latest comical press release from an MLS team - the LA Galaxy has named David Kammarman as "director of soccer operations." Does this mean he'll perform surgery on injured players? Or is a 'soccer operation' a west coast thing I haven't heard about?
                  Well, Paul Bravo's title was Director of Soccer. Now he's Technical Director for the Rapids. I'm guessing that "director of soccer operations" is similar, but maybe they came up with the new title because Arena has a lot of different responsibilities. Or perhaps because AEG is wank.

Comment

Working...
                  X