Beckham to join AC Milan on loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think both, Inca. I mean, one never really knows what's going on between the league and the clubs in MLS, but I would have thought it difficult for the League to simply over-rule the club in a matter like this. The Revs certainly seemed to have had the power to block the Twellman transfer last year. I can't see why the Galaxy wouldn't behave the same way and have the same power to block a move if they weren't satisfied with the terms of the deal.

How much informal power Beckham has in this situation is a key question, I agree. Does he really have the power to tell the team to sod off on this? I'd be careful if I were him. he certainly isn't going to get $50M a year for the next three years form anyone else...

Comment

Here's what Galaxy GM/Coach Bruce Arena has said so far:

Galaxy coach Bruce Arena, who is preparing his team for Sunday's final regular-season match against FC Dallas, was clearly not ready to broach the subject in any detail.

"Which rumors are those?" he said "I know nothing about it.

"Remember, if it's a loan deal, that requires that it's a loan with MLS, not the Galaxy."
      And...

"I haven't spent a second of my day even thinking about it to be honest. For me personally and with this team, I don't think we would loan any player out for six months. That's how long you have to loan him out for until the next transfer window, which would be June. On the surface, it sounds like an odd proposition. I don't see where that benefits MLS or the Galaxy. "
      No one besides Arena has said anything about a loan for that long a period. But you'd have to say that Arena certainly isn't too happy with this. Beckham is going to say something on Friday or Saturday, in his presser before the Dallas game.

Comment

6 months was mentioned on the Guardian or BBC site I think. I don't know how the hell that benefits the Galaxy or MLS since he'd miss the first four months of the MLS season.

Still, getting to train and play with the likes of Dinho and Kaka ought to buck up his game because if you want to stay in contention for an England place it's not just a question of staying fit. If you can prove you've still got the chops to cut it at a club like Milan, even as a sub, well you're proving yourself among the world's best. So if it improves his football, then good luck to him.

Let's face it, you're not going to prove much (for an England place) if all your competition is at MLS level, no disrespect intended.

Comment

''Football today is not just about tactics and technical abilities," Galliani said. "It's about full stadiums and sponsors. No one can beat the 65,000 fans we had on Sunday. The stadiums will only fill up with superstars like Beckham."

possibly the most depressing insight on the issue...and most likely explains why Milan are out of CL contention a year after winning the trophy...

Comment

Working...
          X