The FA Trophy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FA Trophy thread

We've drawn Worksop Town in the next round, which is a bit of a boon, as we were all expecting to get Nantwich. However it means that our league game against, errr, Worksop Town will have to be rescheduled. So two games in Worksop in the space of a couple of weeks. How very Leeds '91.

There were some bonkers results in the first qualifying round. I'll get us out of the way first because our game stank so much. We played Radcliffe Borough, and despite his death, the vile, bloated presence of Bernard Manning still hangs over that club. His Grandson was on the bench, and their tactics were more offensive than one of his jokes. Not that we were any better: we lacked guile, class, wit, precision, ideas, nous, ermm, creativity, flair, guile, class, guile... In the end we needed a looping, slo-mo header in the nine billionth minute of injury time to steal a 1-0 win. Thank you Adam Turner. Thank you for saving us from a fucking hideous replay of that on Tuesday night.

Salford City got handed their arse on a platter by Stourbridge, 6-0. There were pictures of matchstick men crying, and waving their little flat caps in the air with fury. But me, I hold a grudge. And I've still not forgiven them for the league match at The Willows two years ago. Every goal that went in was a victory for the decent, working man.

Boston United also hit six, against Kidsgrove Athletic. Boston, who took some time to adapt to life in the tinpot snooker league, are starting to find their feet, ominously so. They've managed to rectify their traditionally poor away form, and are looking ever more dangerous at home. I've grown attached to Boston, mainly because they're not BPA.

Who lost! Haha! 2-1 to Clitheroe. It was Scott Redhead (great name) who put the hero in to Clitheroe (dunno who put the rest in, any suggestions?) with a goal four minutes from time. Redhead has been lined up with a CBE in the New Year's Honours list for services to comedy.

Merthyr Tydfil beat Bishop's Cleeve in a match only notable for being the only tie to feature a team that sounds like a euphemism for vagina. Though the presence of Metropolitan Police (who lost 0-2 to Dulwich Hamlet) could, I suppose, throw that in to some doubt.

The full results are here, and the draw for the next round is here.

The FA Trophy thread

They were the days

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8PGnm3toQ&eurl=http://welshfootball.blogspot.com/2006/09/bangor-city-v-northwich-victoria-1984.html

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Stourbridge's result surprised me, they've been whipping boys in the Southern Premier this season and have conceded 29 goals in 11 games.

Mangotsfield are out at the first hurdle, another poor season in the cups for us. Hopefully this won't be the start of the budget cuts we saw last season as a result of low cup income as we can't even fill the bench as it is, we had a squad of 14 on Saturday.

edit: just been on the official website to see this...

Manager Paul Milsom is struggling to name a squad ahead of tomorrows GFA Senior Trophy second round tie against Cinderford Town......Milsom's options have been further reduced after having to release midfielder Rhys Jones.
      A squad of just 11 players has been named, 5 of whom are clearly not up to the required standard.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Hard lines Brian. So often at this level the difference between even a semi-sucessful season and relegation trouble comes down to a couple of wins (or not) in the two major cup competitions.

Hitchin have Ramsgate at home. Should be a decent match, a crowd of 500+ like we had against Hinckley in the FA Cup, shouldn't be out of the question. If we get that (and win) we should see the season out without losing too many bodies.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Leamington have crashed out already, 2-3 away at Glapwell.

Fuck it though - they're played 9 won 9 in the league. Here's an interview with super Mark Bellingham who decided staying with the promoted Stourbridge wasn't for him so he dropped back down to the British Gas Business Midland division.

Jon has compared him to Kevin Phillips.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Rather happily we got an away draw, which means we wont end up losing money on the tie. Hurrah!

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Stourbridge's result surprised me, they've been whipping boys in the Southern Premier this season and have conceded 29 goals in 11 games.

Ah, but a fine away draw against Swindon Supermarine means the Glassboys may just be back on track.

I was more surprised by the team they beat on Saturday - the superbly-named Salford City. I thought there was only room for one team in Salford.

Even though he left Stourbridge over the summer, I can't help but warm to Mark Bellingham watching that interview. Love the bit where he catches the ball, kicks it back and then poses for several seconds.

Oh, and they've got Evesham Utd at home.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

This is now officially an uninteresting competition; followed from now on only by the feeble minded and various star-fuckers...

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

It hasn't even started yet.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Typical Big Club Fan.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Hitchin have Ramsgate at home. Should be a decent match, a crowd of 500+ like we had against Hinckley in the FA Cup, shouldn't be out of the question.

Ha ha ha! 3–6. our worse home performance for several years by all accounts, in front of 250 soaking wet supporters.

Nostrodamus me.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

We beat Worksop 3-0 in Mick Hucknall's garden.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

We've got Worcester (from our league, BOOOO) away.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Dartford or Oxford City at home.

FC United have Boston at home. Tie of the round, that, to the extent that such a thing can exist.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Stourbridge have got Hucknall Town at home. Hucknall are rock-bottom of the Conference so there might be an upset. Might go along to this one.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Hucknall eh?

Perhaps the Stourbridge players will be Holding Back The Years because even though Money's Too Tight To Mention at this level, there's still a fair amount of Stars who can turn a game on it's head and produce a Picture Book result.

Eh? Eh?

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

All you here all week?

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

I bet we've done this before as well.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

I probably would have struggled to come up with four Simply Red references in the space of one sentence. My cap is appropriately doffed.

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Punderful!

I know Hucknall quite well actually, some of the ex's family lived there.

But, on the day of the game who will do The Right Thing and become a Byronic hero?

And come half time, I'm sure Hucknall's words, when covering the Talking Heads song Heaven, will become prescient:

"Everyone is trying,
                                        To get to the bar,
                                        The name of the bar,
                                        The bar is called The Glassboys Social Club."

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

When do we come in to this comp?

(We being Wrexham, like)

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

December 13th - first round proper

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

The First Round Proper (the round after next, I think).

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

By the way Jon, have you seen which yellow-clad Warwickshire outfit won their TENTH game in a row 4-0 at the weekend thus ensuring they are the only club (in all the divisions Tony Kempster covers) left with a 100% record?

I'll give you a clue: Mark Bellingham bagged a brace to take him up to 15 goals for the season so far.

Up the Brakes!

Comment

The FA Trophy thread

Yes, I saw that. In fact the 100% record was mentioned in passing in a PM I sent to you last week.

Note to admins: get the PM notification thing sorted to avoid British Gas Business League chat from taking over the whole of OneTouchFootball.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X