The Dean Saunders football genius thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two games ... two wins and for the first time ever the Conference have had to postpone a match because of international call ups.

Deanooooooooooooooooooooooo,
    Deanooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That Brian Little, eh?

How did he ever manage in the Premier League?

Comment

Fairly successfully, if I recall.

Comment

I was just reading his Wiki page, and he did okay at Leicester and Villa, but his fall from grace has been a rapid one. I mean, I'd take him at St Albans, but that's not saying much, really.

Comment

I'd not have him at my lot.

Is he the new Mike Walker then?

Comment

Well, he has plummeted, Peter Taylor style, since he left Aston Villa in 1998. Premier League to sacked in the Conference in ten years.

Bear in mind, EIM, that, when I say that I'd take him at our lot, I'd ask you to remember that the current St Albans manager missed the second match of the season, on Bank Holiday Monday, because of "family commitments", which I took to mean a day out at the seaside.

Comment

If he had a higher media profile, of course, or even chosen his jobs more carefully, he could have kept struggling, but in higher divisions. Some poor fuckers have none of the luck.

Peter Taylor is all the more mystifying/amusing, given that he managed England for one game not all that long ago.

Comment

Actually, what's mystifying about that isn't Taylor's (hey, great name) fall from grace, but the fact he ever graced in the first place. Peter Taylor? England manager? Have a word with yourselves, FA.

Comment

The best thing about Taylor is that he got sacked from those stinking, pissy, wankheads Stevenage. Their continued failure to get into the Football League is one of the few bright spots in football for me, these days.

Comment

Rather them than Crawley.

Comment

Ah, the devil and the deep blue sea.

Comment

He wasn't exactly sacked. More a mutual parting of the ways.

I see Wycombe lost 7-0 at home this evening. In the tinpot cup, but still...
                        Remember, Wycombe fans, after 8 games at in charge of Leicester, he had them top of the Premiership (a key factor in the FA asking him to look after England for that Italy match).

Comment

What about Histon instead? The return of John Beck. Exactly what League Two is crying out for.

Comment

Nice to see that the holders are out.

Brighton are through, too. Their 73rd draw in a row, I think. I didn't even know they were playing Orient tonight. I'd probably have popped up there if I had.

Getting back to the Conference, only 876 at Crawley tonight. Second lowest home crowd in the league tonight.

Comment

Having looked up the Wycombe team for tonight compared with last saturday, there were a some changes but it wasn't wholesale. 6 players started both games, a further 2 who started tonight came on as subs on saturday and all three of the subs used during tonight’s game were in the starting Xi for the league game. Only two of the league Xi didn't play a part in the cup home annihilation.

Comment

Shrewsbury were pissing money all over the place during the summer, weren't they?

Comment

Steve Evans - Is he still on his touchline ban? Are we to expect Crawley's impressive start to the season to falter soon?

Comment

'course, if we are looking for teams to go up from the Conference, there is always Cambridge...

The ability to score goals seems to have almost completely deserted us. An injury-time penalty, dodgy at that, to beat Grays two weeks ago, and then an injury-time goal to beat Lewes, possesors of the worst defence in the league, tonight. Which, given that we have 5 strikers who could all reasonably expect to start league games (Lee McEvilly, Mark Beasley, Danny Crow, Chris Holroyd, Chris Jones) is rather worrying.

Comment

His ban was 12 matches, I think. They've played 14 games, so their last two matches are the ones that we need to look at - drawn one and lost one since he was back (presumably) on the touchline.

So, well, yes. Science has proven it.

Comment

Hahahaha. I predicted exactly this preseason.

Comment

Janik: I really, REALLY wish that your Chris Jones was the same Chris Jones that played for Spurs in the late 1970s and hit the post with five minutes to go for St Albans in a league match at Yeovil in about 1988 in front of a crowd of 6,000 (Yeovil were playing QPR in the FA Cup and tickets were on sale). Bald on top, but a flowing mane, that Chris Jones.

But it isn't. He must be about 55 now.

Comment

Not he, this Chris Jones is an 18-year old on a six-month loan from Swansea.

It's not inconcievable he might be Chris Jones junior, though.

Comment

It's a pleasing idea.

I've just had a look at the top of the Conference. Cambridge should come through the teams above them, shouldn't they? There's some very ropey looking teams at the top of that table at the moment.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                                I see Wycombe lost 7-0 at home this evening. In the tinpot cup, but still...
                                                Don't know if this has been noticed, but the Wycombe board let all season ticket holders in for free, including Shrewsbury STH. Town brought 190 fans down, which is pretty good on a cold Tuesday night from Salop to Bucks. The overall crowd was 1,730 - unsure how that fares with the rest of the JPT games? Pretty weak considering they're doing well this year.

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                                                  I've just had a look at the top of the Conference. Cambridge should come through the teams above them, shouldn't they? There's some very ropey looking teams at the top of that table at the moment.
                                                  There are only 14 points between the top of the Conference and the relegation zone, which means that just about anyone (even, possibly, Oxford) could challenge for the title if they get a good run going. Even Altrincham aren't fourth from bottom, which shows what a topsy-turvy season this is turning out to be.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X