Help me with a special quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm after odd little facts, acts, quotes, or whatever.

Not who scored the winner in the 78 FA cup final, or what number McGrath was wearing.

I want stuff like... what was spanish player Juaquin, once of Betis, now Valencia fame, given by his moher up to the age of six?

or... I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

How many Argentines have won both the Copa Libertadores and the European Cup / Champions League? And name them.

Comment

1) At the time Owen Hargreaves chose to play for England, he was also eligible for five other national sides. Name them.

2) What do Eusebio, Clyde Best, Peter Lorimer and Roberto Bottega have in common?

Comment

Bettega, not Bottega, Gramsci.
        I saw both him and Lorimer play for the Blizzard.

Keeping the North American bent, however.

What is the connection between Bangu of Brazil and the Houston Stars of the United Soccer Association?

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
          1) At the time Owen Hargreaves chose to play for England, he was also eligible for five other national sides. Name them.
          Wales (fucking turncoat bastard), Canada, Germany for sure.

Ireland (because everyone is, almost)

I dunno, was his maternal grandmother born in Malta or somewhere like that?

Comment

Bettega, of course (sleepy me). And Ursus has nailed the answer (they all played football in Toronto, though Eusebio played for Metros Croatia, not the Blizzard).

If, like Hargreaves, you have UK citizenship and parentage but were not born in the UK, you are eligible to play in *any* of the home nations. Therefore, the answer to 2) is: Canada, Germany, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I'm betting Bangu was one of the dozen or so overseas teams that masqueraded as a North American team in a summer league in the 60s whose name I am totally blanking on (it was either a rival of or a precursor to the NASL - there's a nice chapter on it in Exploding Vole's book). Hibs played as "Toronto City", and if I'm not mistaken either Sunderland or Wolves played as the "Vancouver Royals"

Comment

You must really be tired, because the name of the league is in the question.

The full USA lineup from 1967:

Aberdeen = Washington Whips
              Bangu AC = Houston Stars
              Cagliari Calcio = Chicago Mustangs
              C.A. Cerro = New York Skyliners
              ADO Den Haag = San Francisco Golden Gate Gales
              Dundee United = Dallas Tornado
              Glentoran = Detroit Cougars
              Hibernian = Toronto City
              Shamrock Rovers = Boston Rovers
              Stoke City = Cleveland Stokers
              Sunderland = Vancouver Royal Canadians
              Wolverhampton Wanderers = Los Angeles Wolves

Wolves won the title, beating Aberdeen/Washington Whips 6-5 in the final in extra time.

Comment

someone already said it

Comment

What unique and unlikely to be repeated achievement did Steve Palmer of Watford manage during the 1997/98 season.

Barndoorio, you're banned from this one...

Comment

He wore every shirt from 1-11.

Comment

Who is the only Scottish player with a World Club Championship medal ?

Comment

Paul Lambert.
                        Though I think that is too mainstream for PPV, who is looking for stuff more along the lines of the 10 dumbest football injuries.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                          He wore every shirt from 1-11.
                          Almost. 1-14, in fact. Achieved largely by virtue of Palmer's implausible versatility; the only fiddles as I remember were in the last game of the season at Fulham (Palmer wore 9, Jason Lee wore 4) and in the last home game against Bournemouth when Palmer started in goal with Alec Chamberlain in defence. We booted the ball out from the centre and the two swopped shirts - our captain of the time said that winning the toss was the biggest pressure he'd felt all season...

Comment

I think Paul Lambert would have left Dortmund for Celtic by the time they won the World Club Championship, unless it happened very early in the season. I suspect the answer might be Scott Booth, who joined Dortmund from Aberdeen the season after they won the European Cup.

Comment

Ok, one for the Italian contingent. What links torch song Il volto della vita to Linfield's sometime goalkeeper?

Comment

This is the sort of question that will be answered within seconds by otf, but it's probably the sort of thing that PPV is looking for:

What is unique about the hat trick Alvin Martin scored for West Ham against Newcastle in 1986?

Comment

Was it against three different keepers?

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:

If, like Hargreaves, you have UK citizenship and parentage but were not born in the UK, you are eligible to play in *any* of the home nations. Therefore, the answer to 2) is: Canada, Germany, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
                                    Eligible under FIFA's rule but not under the Home Nations' "gentleman's agreement".

Comment

Interesting, Hof.

RSSSF confirms that neither Lambert nor Booth featured in Dortmund's 2-0 win over Cruziero, but isn't definitive on the question of whether Booth got a medal.

Comment

Martin's was against three different 'keepers, indeed. We did a thread once about "perfect" hat-tricks - one with each foot and one from a header - but I must confess I can't remember any of the contenders we came up with for having achieved it.

Anyway, which player did Napoli bid a world record £4.5m for in 1984, which was not accepted because his club's chairman was allegedly too busy watching tennis at Wimbledon, which led them to buy Diego Maradona instead?

Comment

Supposedly Ian Rush, though I have my doubts about that story.

Comment

Which four (then-) Division One clubs failed to win a single game during the entire reign of a Pope?

Comment

Well I know WHEN that will be (the summer of 1978) so I'm guessing at least one might be Tottenham Hotspur, who were relegated that year?

Comment

Ah, good ol' JP I.
                                                Always good for a chuckle.

Some guesses:
                                                QPR, Chelsea, Norwich and Derby

Comment

Chelsea are one.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X