"Since the Premiership began" bullshit bingo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    We're not. Well, I'm not. I was responding to this "statistic": "Martin Tyler informed us yesterday that the Manchester derby last week was Man U's first 0-2 home loss of the Premiership era. Their other losses are 0-1, 1-2 or 1-6."

I supposed, as blameless speculated, he might have just been referring to Manchester derby games but, if he was it wasn't much of a point to make.
    He must've been - because that list of results would otherwise omit our stunning 2-3 victory at Old Trafford back in 2012 - plus, of course, the 0-3 obliteration in August last. (And I'm sure others.)

Comment

Well, it's all a bit odd. Most of their home defeats in the last 27 years or so have been 0-1 or 1-2 so if it wasn't what Tyler said, or meant to say, he wasn't too far wide of the mark. But it's a bit of a strange thing to bring up. If you beat Arsenal 3-1 at their place I wouldn't expect a commentator to remark on the uniqueness of that particular scoreline: "So, it's finished 3-1 to Tottenham here at the Emirates, a scoreline we haven't seen before in an Arsenal-Spurs fixture in the Premier League era!" Just not going to happen.

Comment

0-1, 1-2 or 1-6 doesn't even work for Manchester derby games given the 0-3 in 2013-14 so I am stumped as to why he reeled off such a wayward stat.

Comment

Are you sure it was Tyler? Are you back in the UK?

It has a whiff of the "NBC Premier League Mornings" about it to me.

Comment

Perhaps he just made a mistake. I make many.

Comment

That too, though Tyler has made such factoids a key part of his "brand". He even "writes" a weekly "column" on them for the Sky Sports website.

Comment

Indeed. I mean, sure, everybody makes factual errors now and then - but I think that the point is, if you're going to trot out a fairly defined fact (or set of facts) like that on national TV, well, don't then be getting it wrong.

I blame his researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Are you sure it was Tyler? Are you back in the UK?

It has a whiff of the "NBC Premier League Mornings" about it to me.
                  I had a relative staying with us who could access SKY on his laptop while I was driving. It's possible my attention was off, but not by so much that I failed to catch the 0-1, 1-2, 1-6 alleged stat.

OTOH I also recall Tyler during Barcelona v Man U (on my home TV, 2nd leg) saying Barcelona had equaled a Bayern record for QFs and I can't find any correlate of that either. Bayern are way ahead of them on all-time QFs whereas Barcelona's current QF run of 13 seems to be unprecedented in either the CL era or whole EC era 1955-now. Real Madrid and Bayern are also well ahead for SFs. I can't think of any Bayern record that Barcelona may have just equaled. Their eras of dominance are too different.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-04-2019, 17:28.

Comment

Tyler again last night: Robertson has equaled the record for most assists in a PL season (11). Possibly took the stat from here:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/robe...f1c6nx1pcx7i2k

Relevance to a CL SF against Barcelona...?

Comment

To quote the article.... "The fullback set up a pair of goals in the 5-0 win to equal the most assists delivered by a defender since 2010-11" so that'd be a joint record... for a defender.... in the last 9 seasons.... in a different competition. Monsieur with these record stats you are spoiling us.

Comment

Yes, Tyler left those qualifiers out. Either he or his researcher are dire; every stat is a gaffe.

It also seemed off when he said it because I can think of, for example, Shearer getting tons of assists (Edit: 64 over his career, about 1 for every 4 goals he scored (64/260)).
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-05-2019, 12:37.

Comment

The forced separateness of the EPL was demonstrated today, and it basically doesn't work.

On the BBC World Service the excited jingle is always "The Premier League, with the BBC!" and the presenters (Lee James today) essentially have to pretend that there is no other football going on, in Britain (sic). And then they cross to the live commentary, and it's a nothing game (Wolves-Fulham) so all the goals going in are in L2, where there is much excitement, even to the point of leaving Molineux to go to Moss Rose. World Service listeners were guests at Sincil Bank, The Lawn, County Ground etc.

Meanwhile the BBC website is providing regular updates on precisely two games, and there's nothing to update, and not much riding on the games anyway. The global audience demands Premier League action, so that is what they will get, even when there isn't any. The domestic audience in the UK gets the football that is actually happening.

It was a strange experience, basically saying "There's great drama going on, but not in the league we sell you, so we can't acknowledge it". Reminds me of being in Taiwan or China during the Olympics, when each country would pretend the other didn't exist.

Comment

And to rant on ... now it's all happening with a full programme in L1, half a dozen clubs with a stake on the last day, but ignored.

Comment

Working...
                            X