No announcement yet.

Poppycock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because as the OP has said this is the "poppy-related shirt nonsense thread"?

Comment

[Provincial Chip on Shoulder]This isn't really about NI. It's Joke City/ the EPL/ England generally hamming up the poppy fetish to ludicrous levels. The thing is no longer a story but a month-long season splitting Halloween and Xmas.

We set you a bad example (there's been hysteria in NI since Noah was a nipper, but in England only since the Iraqi/ Afghan Wars). Your much greater scale makes the problem 30 times worse...

[/PCoS]

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
        Meanwhile, a senior OTF-er
        Oooh, we get ranks?

Comment

There was a minute's silence at The Den before Millwall v Ipswich on Saturday, which seems excessively early. Anyway, no-one was really expecting it, and apparently the announcement wasn't very clear so there was applause after The Last Post.

And the police were still shepherding away fans into the ground close to kick off - fans who didn't know there was a silence in progress, and who carried on the chanting they had been doing outside. Cue the Millwall fans replying by hurling abuse back at the oblivious away support.

Enduring image.
          Last edited by Kevin S; 30-10-2018, 15:36.

Comment

Aye, I was muttering at MOTD ("Remembrance Sunday is still a fortnight away") the other night as Burnley were doing a minute's silence because it was their home game closest to Nov 11th.

It used to be that if you didn't have a game on Remembrance weekend, you didn't bother with the minute's silence at all (or the now seemingly-obligatory random squaddies on the pitch).

Comment

@NickSTFU- it's a euphemism for his multiple user IDs keep getting banned

Comment

Crossover with the ‘Mascots’ thread, I’m sure there will be many :

Comment

Those guys seem to be on a North Korean General level of medals

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                    Oooh, we get ranks?

He means "senior" as in "moment"

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                      It used to be that if you didn't have a game on Remembrance weekend, you didn't bother with the minute's silence at all (or the now seemingly-obligatory random squaddies on the pitch).
                      Was discussing this other day, as to when this changed. Millwall's minute's silence and 'remembrance game' against Ipswich last Saturday will be the first of three they take part in, as they also feature in Brentford's nearest home game to Remembrance Sunday tomorrow, and then are away at Norwich on the weekend itself.

I remember playing football in the Lincoln Sunday League on Remembrance Sunday itself within the last decade or so and not doing a minute's silence as the referee forgot. No-one was particularly bothered. Attitudes have swung wildly in a very short space of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Those guys seem to be on a North Korean General level of medals
                        Given the age of them, I suspect one at least is a long service medal.

Comment

I can't link to a pic, but as someone pointed out on twitter the disembodied jerseys on the PL fantasy football website are adorned with poppies this week

Comment

Consider it done. This is just silly.

Comment

Carlisle's players wore armbands for Saturday's match, except for Jamie Devitt. This attracted a bit of attention over the weekend prompting the club to issue a statement this morning that his armband wouldn't stay on so he wore it during the minute's silence when he could press his arm against his body and took it off for the game itself. Naturally, I'd rather the club concentrated on other matters, rather than being forced to explain this.

Comment

Burn him! (Or whatever it is that the loonies say...)

Comment

I missed the opportunity to be our mascot on Saturday for the one minute's silence. I can't believe it.

Comment

Hold on! Were we the only club to have a minutes applause for Leicester's owner?

(I wonder if they did the same when our owner died earlier this year.)

Comment

I don't think the Leicester owner was mentioned when we had our minute's silence.

I felt for the woman in front of me who received plenty of daggers because her kids got the giggles.

I struggle to take minute's silence seriously ever since the minute's silence after 9/11. My, then 4 year old, cousin was sat with my uncle and asked why she had to be quiet - very quickly my uncle responded with "because of the plane crash". My cousin kept silence impeccably and then whilst everyone was applauding following the ref's whistle turned to my uncle and said - "I didn't hear a plane crash". I actually got the giggles thinking about that when the club held one for the very same uncle who died of cancer in 2015 (he'd been a long time employee of the club).

Comment

It was at Carlisle, in fact it was mentioned first. There's a little gang of quite boisterous young lads who sit along the row from us, and they must have had a bet or dare on the go as a few seconds into the minute's silence one of them loudly farted, to much hilarity.

Comment

This seems to be the general thread now for all poppy stuff. How about pizzas?

https://twitter.com/biglhist/status/...233905153?s=09

https://twitter.com/biglhist/status/1059543914233905153?s=09

Comment

That's Art that is.

Comment

I really couldn't care either way but did any of the Spurs players have a poppy on their shirts against Wolves?

Comment

Doesn't look like it.

Comment

Dunno what the Conference's stance is, but neither side had them at the Racecourse on Saturday.

Comment

And yes, that is Mike Williamson playing for the Heed. Probably why they lost.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X