No announcement yet.

Your personal football project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have an exercise book in which I compiled a list of games I'd been to when I was young, so I'm fairly sure I have an almost (at least) comprehensive list of matches I've attended. Nothing like as detailed as those in the tweet, mind.

Comment

I wish I'd done that.

People these days have it easy. Just one click on Futbology.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
        I wish I'd done that.

People these days have it easy. Just one click on Futbology.
        But you have a back up list, right?

Comment

I occasionally back up my list of matches using the 'Export' button.

Comment

Last night's game meant I could add an entry onto a previously unfilled date in my 'book of days'.

Comment

Having ticked off 1st July yesterday, I only need 1st November to have been to a game on a first day of every month. 1st Nov this year is a Wednesday so I'll be looking for a midweek game.

Comment

I've been checking this using the On This Day feature. I'm missing a couple of dates in May and a couple in June.

If I can get through July, I should be ok for the rest of the year.

Comment

Going to a game yesterday meant my last unfilled square in April is now filled, making it the first complete month in my book of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                    Nothing like as structured as PT, but Im gradually ticking off all the teams in the top 5 divisions, plus the Northern versions of non-league tiers 2 and 3. Not in terms of ground visits (I dont have the time or money, particularly when Im also trying to support Carlisle and follow Liverpools European exploits), but just actually seeing them play.

Im down to about 2 dozen out of those top 7 divisions, with Barnsley being the only league club Ive never seen play. Have also made reasonable incursions into non league tiers 4 and 5 in the NW, which will be the logical next target once Ive cleared the remainder in the higher leagues.

Oh, and Im still edging my way towards completing the 91, too.
                    So, six years on, I'm making steady progress. I cleared all the league clubs a while ago but the National League is proving to be a big sticking point since I ran out of local sides at which to tick off the remaining teams I've not seen, so I've now got 9 National league teams that I've not seen (though three of them have helpfully just got themselves relegated). I really need Southport to get their act together and get promoted as I can't really justify going to Rochdale, Altrincham or Fylde just for a random team tick.

Lower down the North Western slice of the pyramid, things are going better. I've cleared all the clubs in National League North, NPL Premier and NPL First division West. I've got 5 teams in NWCFL Prem left to see, and 4 in NWCFL 1N. Subject to promotions and relegations I should be able to clear those next season.

In ground ticking progress, I've hit 84/91, clearing the lower two tiers. Need cup ties to get the remainder.

Comment

I've also started to tick off teams that I've seen. I've completed the top five divisions - with the exception of the elusive Harrogate Town.

My progress towards the 92 grounds remains sluggish. This season only Newport has been added to the list. However, Forest Green's replacement by Chesterfield will boost my total to 83.

Comment

I need a project for my Saturdays next season. I've really run out of steam this last month having exhausted just about every ground I wanted to in Sussex this season and ended up not bothering last Saturday at all.

I was thinking just doing London for a season, as I can write travel off against expenses. There must be 40-odd clubs that I could do over the course of a season. But then, if it's London it's London, and I'm committed. I might have to pass it up. (I mean, I know I wouldn't have to, but it would spoil the symmetry.)

And it's a lot of travel, every Saturday.
                        ​​​​​
                        ​​

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                          I need a project for my Saturdays next season. I've really run out of steam this last month having exhausted just about every ground I wanted to in Sussex this season and ended up not bothering last Saturday at all.

I was thinking just doing London for a season, as I can write travel off against expenses. There must be 40-odd clubs that I could do over the course of a season. But then, if it's London it's London, and I'm committed. I might have to pass it up. (I mean, I know I wouldn't have to, but it would spoil the symmetry.)

And it's a lot of travel, every Saturday.
                          ​​​​​
                          ​​
                          I read Charlie Connelly's London Fields last year. It's a good book, although lacks a clear angle beyond each chapter being about something related to London football. It might be a good companion if you haven't read it and that becomes your focus next season.

Comment

I'm hoping to fulfil a minor goal of earning my first Futbology badge for a completed league in mid May as I've only got Widnes side Parklands to go to complete the Cheshire League Premier Division. I'd considered a game of theirs a few weeks ago but decided to hang fire as the one I've got lined up pits 2nd v 1st in the table as things stand..

My longer term project is to visit all the grounds still in use which have ever hosted NW Counties football. A rough count puts the total somewhere over 130 and I've got 30 odd to go. The biggest test of my commitment to this one will be the Isle of Man although there are also a couple of grounds in distant corners of Cumbria and three deeper into Wales than I'm usually prepared to travel.

Comment

Completely off piste relating to previous thread entries, I collected A&BC football cards as a kid and in 'later life' I've completed the sets from 1968 to 1974 (for good measure picking up the cards from Scottish sets featuring players who either played for or were transferred to English clubs during the relevant season but didn't feature in the English sets).

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                Completely off piste relating to previous thread entries, I collected A&BC football cards as a kid and in 'later life' I've completed the sets from 1968 to 1974 (for good measure picking up the cards from Scottish sets featuring players who either played for or were transferred to English clubs during the relevant season but didn't feature in the English sets).
                                Ooh. That's whetted my appetite for some serious hyperthymestic googling.

Comment

Working...
                                X