No announcement yet.

Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He apologised to to Marco Silva, did he not?

I really don't see what the big deal is here, to be honest. We know enough about Klopp's character for this not to be especially out of the ordinary - and, assuming that he 'did' make the apology, no real harm done. (I can think of one or two managers that certainly wouldn't have.)

Comment

Not according to Silva https://www.theguardian.com/football...verpool-winner

Comment

Course it's not out of the ordinary. He's always a bellend.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Well, one of them's telling the truth, I guess.

Comment

Or they both are, and there was a misunderstanding or similar.

Comment

Marco Silva is the spit of my Gastroenterologist. It's kind of disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Klopp’s outfit was far more offensive than his celebration ;

RaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaUnaccustomed as I am to public speaking....

Comment

I thought it was more "Drunk in tacky branded leisurewear declaiming to passers-by at 1am outside a flat-roofed pub".

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    If a tennis player won a title on an opponent's double fault, and the coach jumped down from the stand and ran on the court beating his chest and roaring in joy, I'd feel the same.
                    To make the analogy slightly more accurate, the coach would be celebrating reaching match point, not the match being won. Everton still had time for a restart and one more attack.

Celebrating Kloppishly at the end of the game is eye-rolling but not a crime. Doing it before the end is worse, as much gamesmanship as emotion. Imagine Klopp's response if Liverpool conceded late and then had to watch a manager doing what he did - he'd be screaming at the 4th official about time-wasting, and he'd keep on moaning after the final whistle.

Then Silva, obviously shattered and wanting to shake hands and get away, had to deal with Klopp's faux-confession. He was classy not telling Klopp to fuck off.

Comment

Yeh doing it before full time was particularly Mourinhoesque.

Comment

Yeah, I hadn't considered the "Brookline" nature of it either.

Comment

Mind you, Danny Mills said that Klopp should have been arrested*.

* Which - for us rational, sensible people who have not had our brains replaced by a pile of particularly rancid manure - means that it was absolutely fine and no one should have any issues with it, just one of those "heat of the moment" things.

Comment

I haven't seen it so can't comment. However, I did hear it on the wireless, with the dream pairing of Green and Savage:

Green: "And Origi wins it for Liverpool!!!!"

Savage: "What's happening? What's happening??!!"

Me: "That's what you are paid to tell us you idiot."

Green: "It's not over yet."

Pretty much why I never listen to radio commentary (I was in a car and the driver had control of the sound system).

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                              Let's not allow Klopp's idiocy to take away from the important issue here... the absolute hilarity of of a winning goal, in a derby, in the 6th minute of 4 minutes added on, thanks to a completely miscued shot from a centre half, misjudged by by England's latest Great White Hope, bouncing twice on the bar and finished from six inches by a much reviled bit part player.
                              I was texting garcia during the match and moaning about the way that they were talking about Jordan pickford because he was one of the golden team of lovely lads. It wasn't so much anything that the Sky commentators said. It was more the tone when they were talking about him. The thing about him that is really obvious is that he's basically Joe Hart before people started to notice the mistakes.

That said, he was ridiculously unlucky. He could have dealt with it a bit more decisively, but it didn't have to do that.

That whole Klopp thing just kind of annoyed me a bit. The thing that is most striking about Klopp is the time and effort he puts into his public facade and persona. The unusual thing about him is that a manager with such a well cultivated and carefully constructed public outer shell, is usually doing it to hide that they're not really any good as a coach, and that's not true in his case. I think he's acutely aware that he needs to do all this bullshit, because it's what his fanbase demands. That beachmaster sealion belly bop with Allison now means that it'll take four consecutive defeats rather than three before half the fanbase turns on him. Football fans really respect mindless displays of Alpha male dominance bollocks. It's what most of them are into football for.

He's in a tricky situation. This liverpool team right now is by far the best team Liverpool have ever had, performing and organized on a level unimaginable by the standards of the club, and the thing is that they have virtually zero chance of winning the league. All I hear from a lot of liverpool fans is moaning that the team isn't playing well, and that the forwards are playing particularly badly. The thing is that I don't see that at all. Liverpool are generally defending by not allowing the opposition have a shot, and they're playing against teams that now play completely differently against them, having seen them last season. The thing is though that there's lots of teams that are getting like this. Everton were really good yesterday. Having departed from their tradition of appointing a drunkard, or a dinosaur, or a neurotic coward, or a fraud, and instead gone for someone who can actually coach, they were at least as good as liverpool. That goal really needs to be seen in that context. Liverpool could easily have lost, and they were going to drop another two points behind man city, and instead they score the most ridiculous and unfair and absurd winner. I'd say that in spite of a) the opponents b) the time c) the nature of the goal, that 95% of what liverpool fans were feeling was relief.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                This liverpool team right now is by far the best team Liverpool have ever had...
                                It so isn't.

Comment

I only watched it on the highlights and honestly don't see what the fuss is about. It's ludicrous behaviour, of course, but it seems thd Premier League is all about OTT reactions these days as every last ounce of drama is wrung out of everything.

Comment

Is there universal agreement that Pickford was at fault or are some Liverpool fans in denial? What should Pickford have done differently?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      Is there universal agreement that Pickford was at fault or are some Liverpool fans in denial? What should Pickford have done differently?
                                      Tipped it back over the bar. He got his feet wrong and wasn't able to get the height required.

Comment

I think he's acutely aware that he needs to do all this bullshit, because it's what his fanbase demands. That beachmaster sealion belly bop with Allison now means that it'll take four consecutive defeats rather than three before half the fanbase turns on him. Football fans really respect mindless displays of Alpha male dominance bollocks. It's what most of them are into football for.
                                        It's exactly this. The weird cult-leader manager that the scientologists of football demand.

Comment

Is that the explanation for Mourinho then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            It so isn't.
                                            Agree except in the narrow and pointless sense that the top 10 clubs in Europe now are fitter and have better backroom staff than any European champions could have had in 1977-84. In a sane football sense, I don't see how Liverpool 2018 would get the ball off Liverpool 1984 or how their defence would handle Dalglish and Rush. Salah is not going to worry Mark Lawrenson on his current form.

More to the point, I don't think many Liverpool fans think this is their best ever side.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Agree except in the narrow and pointless sense that the top 10 clubs in Europe now are fitter and have better backroom staff than any European champions could have had in 1977-84. In a sane football sense, I don't see how Liverpool 2018 would get the ball off Liverpool 1984 or how their defence would handle Dalglish and Rush. Salah is not going to worry Mark Lawrenson on his current form.

More to the point, I don't think many Liverpool fans think this is their best ever side.
                                              I think people lose sight of just how much football has changed in even the last five years alone. Watch any match from the pre backpass rule era, and it looks like a sunday league match. It takes a long time after the introduction of the back pass rule before you start to see something that remotely resembles modern football. No-one moves. It's a load of pudgy small white guys kicking each other. This current liverpool team remind me a bit of the Mayo Football Team. The Mayo football team of the last five or six years are widely considered to be the second best gaelic football team of all time. They Surpass all others in skill, tactical sophistication, intelligence, power, fitness, strength, competitive drive, everything. Yet they've never won an all ireland. It's that they've lost three finals by a single point to Dublin. Dublin are that little bit better at everything.

The Same applies to Spurs.
                                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 03-12-2018, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                And Trump. There's a big market for this and it extends beyond football.

Comment

All the poise of a natural born goalscorer.

That picture really makes me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                    There's certainly a section of United's fanbase who like Mourinho because he "boils piss" but it comes from a darker part of the psyche that the Vector of Weird that Klopp and RAWK inhabit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X