Ryan Mason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan Mason

Forced to retire aged 26 after fracturing skull over a year ago.
    The second picture in the article shows the extent of the surgery required on his skull. Not for the squeamish.

God almighty, poor lad.

In that second picture, the back of his head looks like my brother's after he was knocked down by a speeding car (fortunately my bro survived).

Comment

I do wonder whether we will reach the point where the games' rule makers look seriously at the option of making the wearing of a head guard compulsory. Three threads are driving it - the occasional awful injury like this one, the seemingly far more frequent head/eye socket/cheek injuries resulting from headed challenges and the ongoing debate about any link between alzheimer's and heading the ball. It will take a clever bit of design to deliver meaningful protection whilst allowing the the game to continue in its present form but I don't think it would be impossible to come up with a design that works. On a related issue I don't see why we haven't already got a requirement for foam elbow guards, which could be worn without any impact on the playing of the game at all.

Comment

Working...
      X