• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigi Schmid has passed. Just 65. I didn’t realize he’d been so ill. RIP

Comment

He was waiting on a heart transplant.

Comment

Yeah. So he had heart failure and likely other organ failure, probably for a while. Very sad.

Comment

Ciman to Toronto, presuably to platton with Moor in a back three with Mavinga and vdw but our roster is so weirdly lopsided that who the hell knows (we are currently carrying five guys who can play as defensive wingers - Morrow, Morgan, VdW, Auro, DeLeon - and I i know we had crazy injury problems last year, but this still seems excessive). We have one senior roster spot open and probably need three more signings (GK/MF/F) so odds are both Jon Bakero (an intl slot) and one of Hagglund or Zavaleta make way.

Comment

Tim Bezbatchenko to leave TFC to run Columbus; Ali Curtis likely to replace him.

Guillermo Barros Schelotto returns, to manage LA Galaxy.

San Jose brings in a winger from Villarreal via Boca on loan; DC brings in Lucas Rodriguez from Estudiantes on loan and likely to buy, having had to pay the standard $50K ransom to Atlanta for his discovery rights.

Michael de Leewu leave Chicago for FC Emmen.

Alejandro Silva likely out the door from Montreal to Olimpia in Paraguay for a few million.

Vissel Kobe (aka Iniesta, Villa, and Lukas Podolski) are going to preseason tour over here v Columbus, LAFC, Orange County FC, and TFC.

RSL re-signed Albert Rusnak, and lent a defender Mike Petke fell out with to Orlando.

Comment

Schedule's out. No more 3 games against your rival; you play everyone in conference twice and the other conference once for 38. Rivalry week is mid-August.

Atlanta gets 17 games on national TV; RSL one. 4 games on Fox itself; DC vs LAFC in April, Atlanta v Orlando in May, v. RBNY (right after the WWC final finishes) in July, and v LAG in August.

Montreal got for $4M Canadian for Alejandro Silva.

A few Scottish teams are interested in son of Harkes.

USMNT v Ecuador in Orlando 4/21/22 and Chile in Houston 4/26 likely.

ASG in Orlando 7/31.

Comment

NWSL draft is tomorrow.

RSL re-signs Luke Mulholland; Philly Ray Gaddis.

Mark Geiger retires from refereeing to run the referees.

Comment

The weirdest story from the NWSL draft was Sky Blue using their top pick on a player who'd previously said she wouldn't play for them>

The weirdest story of the MLS draft was Philly's new technical director trading all of their draft picks to Cincinnati for about $150K in allocation money.

Cincinnati is aiming to have their own 2 team in 2020.

Minnesota is trying to bring in a right back from Reims.

Colorado signed Benny Feilhaber, and traded Marlon Hairston to Houston for $175K in allocation money; Houston sent Chris Seitz to DC for a second round draft pick and signed Tommy McNamara.

The Coach of the Year award will be named for Sigi Schmid

Comment

USWNT got hammered by France Saturday and beat Spain 1-0 today.

Tim Howard is retiring after this season.

FAO ursus-there's a 4th division team starting play in NYC this hear. Half their games at the Gaelic field in the Bronx, half on Randall's Island.

Chicago brought in a winger from Poland and the Galaxy brought back Juninho. Cincy signed Roland Lamah, ex-Dallas. Toronto shipped out Victor Vazquez to a Qatari team.

Sacramento's expansion effort finally found their billionaire they needed.

Aurellien Collin signed for Philly.

Comment

Will have to check that out. NYU now plays at Gaelic Park (joining longtime tenants Manhattan from up the hill).

Comment

TFC trades Nick Hagglund to Cincy for 300K of allocation money and swapping allocation order spots.

Landon's unretired again. This time, to the San Diego Sockers.

Comment

Almiron finally looks like being gone to Newcastle for $27M.

DC have pretty much signed Leonardo Jara from Boca and will probably have a friendly v Swansea (shock) this summer.

Minnesota sent up to a million of allocation money to SKC for Ike Opara.

Vancouver re-signed Felipe and Yordy Reyna, signed a Brazilian winger from Austria Vienna, are working on signing a center back from Tunisia, rolled out new uniforms, and lent Anthony Blondell to a Chilean team I will not attempt to spell.

Beckham FC want to renovate Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale and make it their training facility.

The CPL announced Volkswagen as a sponsor and will kick off April 27; Hamilton v Toronto. Directly against TFC v Portland. Oops.

NYCFC's Villa replacement is spending about $9M to import a Romanian attacker, Alex Mitrita.

Matt Polster left the Fire for Rangers.

Nate Jaqua has been spotted He runs 100 mile races for fun, and wins.

Colorado turned down $3M from a Championship team for Kellyn Acosta.

The guy bringing the USL to the East Bay in 2021 has trademarked the name East Bay Tempo FC.

and nothing better happen for a week cause I'm gone.

Comment

Did Beckham FC get a stadium yet?

Comment

Almost, I think is where they're at right now. The inevitably NIMBY court challenges look like they'll fail.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                and nothing better happen for a week cause I'm gone.
                                Going to start the 2019 thread when you get back?

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I'd start one myself, but I'm too out of touch with MLS now to make an apposite pun in the thread title.

Comment

Giovinco is off to Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia for a “nominal fee”

Comment

He didn’t want to leave and is pissed at TFC. I don’t know why they’d unload him now. He’s not that old.

Comment

So is this Almirón lad the real thing, then? I must say I am very much looking forward to us selling him to someone like Wolves for forty-odd million in eighteen months time.

Comment

Almiron can definitely play.

Reed, my understanding is that Giovinco wanted a multi year contract for at least his current league leading USD 7+ million a year. Toronto weren’t willing to make that kind of commitment.
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-01-2019, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                            My thoughts exactly. I'd start one myself, but I'm too out of touch with MLS now to make an apposite pun in the thread title.
                                            Howard's (on his) Way?

Comment

Good column on the Giovinco debacle:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...w-hes-thanked/

Comment

That link didn’t work for me.

This one did.

Comment

Las Vegas Lights plated Toronto in a pre-season friendly and stuffed them 5-1 (although I am fairly sure it wasn't the full team).

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                                    TFC trades Nick Hagglund to Cincy for 300K of allocation money and swapping allocation order spots.
                                                    300K and the top allocation spot for a reserve CB is insane. This has to rank very close to the top of all-time worst trades in MLS. And I say that as a huge Nick Hagglund fan.

Unloading Giovinco was, sadly, the right thing to do. He wanted at least $7 million/year for three more years, at which point he would have been 35. TFC offered him (it seems) about $5M/yr (unclear if it was for 2 or 3 years) which in MLS terms would have been insane. He turned it down to play in Saudi. His call I guess, but anyone who says TFC did him wrong is totally out to lunch.

TFC are calling people offering season tickets and telling them the announcement of a seba replacement will happen this week.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X