Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah. I've read it. I'm in it.

Comment

Objectively, is it as good as the several dozen five-star reviews claim?

Comment

It's a very good, thorough book. It's particularly appealing to those who were involved in the Glazer fight and FC United, which explains the 5 star reviews.

Essentially it's a book of three stories: the takeover of Manchester United. The formation of FC United. And the collapse of FC United. The first two parts were interesting and full of great anecdotes (knocking on Roy Keane's door asking if he'll play for FCUM). The final part is a score settling exercise akin to the end of the Godfather. It's uncomfortable and depressing for all involved in the club.

Apparently Daniel Taylor was offered the book but said it would take him three years to write and didn't have time. JP relied solely on emails and forum posts over interviews as he only wanted fact not opinion included. It makes the book forensic in places, but I completely get why he did it.

It's not a 5 Star book, but it is a very good one. It should serve as a warning for all fan owned clubs and other community organisations, but as I tweeted after reading it, you get the impression that those who most need to read it won't.

Comment

I may have to buy that, especially as I have no idea what happened to cause the third story.

Comment

It's not alarming that I have no recollection of articles I wrote in 1996. It is, though, strange to find I can't at all remember pieces I penned as recently as 2015.

Curious fact: Grimsby v Lincoln has twice featured as Match of the Month.

Comment

Back to the latest issue (it takes me a while to get through my football magazines nowadays - they're in the bog). Really enjoyed the two pieces about Carlisle United. Should be at the Letters Page by around March, unless I get constipation.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                Back to the latest issue (it takes me a while to get through my football magazines nowadays - they're in the bog). Really enjoyed the two pieces about Carlisle United. Should be at the Letters Page by around March, unless I get constipation.
                Aw shucks (I did the second piece).

Comment

I wondered if they were by anyone on here. Nicely done. I've a certain aghast admiration for people who travel long distances to away games. I edited this book for Lincoln last year (it's a fundraiser for the Youth Academy) and was suitably enraptured by the stories, especially the ones where the trip was utterly futile and/or depressing. That your first away trip at that age was a 4-0 defeat and you kept going is highly commendable. I think.

Comment

There's a rich seam of futile and/or depressing trips where Carlisle are involved and they often get wheeled out on our message board. In terms of run of the mill, 600 mile round trips to abject defeats, too many to mention.

One tale sticks out that is relevant to you - me and a different mate (and my son) drove to Lincoln one day and were sat having a drink in that little supporters bar while the stewards were drinking tea before heading out, when someone came in and told them to go home cos the ref had called it off. We grabbed a paper and checked nearby fixtures and rushed to Derby to see them play Chelsea, passing our team bus in the way, the club still oblivious to the postponement. The game was rescheduled for a few weeks later midweek, and the same mate drove from Leeds for it, only for me to ring him while he was almost at the ground saying it was off again. He eventually got third time lucky for the game, which turned out to secure our FL survival yet again, and rang me from the pitch to tell me the news (I had to step out of an Arab Strap gig to take the call).

The same mate was at Wrexham with us around the same time. Being an 'expat' fan living in Leeds he'd signed up for goal alerts at 25p per time, and could work out how to switch them off. As Wrexham's sixth goal went in he despaired, ffs its cost me £1.50 to be told about the goals I've seen us concede. And as our consolation goal went in, ffs that's another 25p.

Comment

Like imp, wsc is my bog reading of choice and I've just finished the latest issue tonight. Unlike imp, I made the decision many years ago to chuck the issue in the recycling straight after reading it. But it's really enjoyable reading his whistle stop trawl through the decades of wsc on this thread.

Wfd - I loved your article. Well done you. There seems to be a huw Richards article on Swansea every six months or so. The Witton Albion feature reminded me how atrocious the kidderminster harriers' badge is, or more specifically, the stretched text art typeface. Some bloke in the letters page saying fans of struggling premier league clubs can't moan as there's dozens of other clubs who would kill for the chance to get shat upon at a great height by the big red and blue clubs. Maybe it's my midlandscentric perspective but any article that recaps on the key moments of Scarborough's history must surely make mention of the wolves fan who fell through the roof of one of their stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        Unlike imp, I made the decision many years ago to chuck the issue in the recycling straight after reading it.
                        You absolute monster, I'm shaken by this. Could you give them to your local library, perhaps?

Comment

Why would a library want it? They sell off out of date magazines for pennies or bin them when the new issues come in.

Comment

My local one keeps back issues of various titles

Comment

I will be moving house in the next year, and I know what decision I should be making about my back issues of WSC. It is going to be painful.

Comment

Just do it pebble. I green sacked about 10 years worth and don't miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                  My local one keeps back issues of various titles
                                  Donated ones?

Comment

I also threw out a few issues of Total Football from the 90s because they printed a few of my pieces. Christ, what an abomination that magazine was. Though they did print my letter, sent in under another name, showing my first-born at the age of six months tearing up their front cover because she was allegedly offended at all their hilarious references to "krauts" and "squareheads".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Donated ones?
                                      No, but I'm sure they wouldn't refuse them. I'm a hoarder and throwing away such things feels like killing puppies, I accept a bit of ruthlessness may not go astray

Comment

Back to this issue - just read the Yugoslav 1985-86 Season in Brief. Bloody hell, if you had the time, money, contacts and language skills you could probably write a book about that season.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                          You absolute monster, I'm shaken by this. Could you give them to your local library, perhaps?
                                          I can't particularly imagine the library wanting them, I have to admit, but there might be somewhere like a doctors' or dentists' waiting room that might like a few. Admittedly perhaps not 10 years' worth in one go, but still.

I couldn't help noticing that the list of suggested other reading on that page is implausibly headed up by this gem: Red, White and Blackmore. Due to a sort of morbid fascination, I followed the link to see what on earth the blurb said, and read the reviews. There are precisely two of the latter, both 5*, although in either case it says the copy was bought as a present and the purchaser hasn't actually read it. What was really amusing, though, was realising that the second one could be extremely close to home for old Clayton:

I hope she posts a follow-up review.

Comment

Working...
                                          X